Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

New Policy on Gay Boy Scouts Goes into Effect, No "Mass Exodus" Quite Yet

Posted by   + Show Post

A former scout leader—who was ejected for being openly gay—embraces her son, who will probably never understand how the Boy Scouts could maintain such a ridiculously malevolent and homophobic policy in 2014.

Photo by Stewart House/Getty Images

On Wednesday, the Boy Scouts' new policy welcoming openly gay scouts went into effect—to little fanfare or protest. Several religious groups had promised a "mass exodus" once the gay ban be lifted, but few, it seems, were prepared to follow through. From ThinkProgress:

A BSA spokesman noted that the vast majority of religious groups have stayed with the organization despite the policy shift. The BSA estimates that less than 2 percent of its 116,000 Scout units were abandoned by their sponsors.
And even in some very conservative places, those abandoned troops have found new backers. Joey Kiker, spokesman for the Greater Alabama Council in Birmingham, told a local newpsaper that while a few churches that sponsored Scout units have left, “every single unit that lost a charter partner, within an hour, had a new charter partner.” And Brad Haddock, a national board member from Wichita, Kansas likened the warnings to the Y2K scare. “There hasn’t been a whole lot of fallout,” he told the Associated Press, observing that “If a church said they wouldn’t work with us, we’d have a church right down the street say, ‘We’ll take the troop.’”

Despite the welcome change in rules, all openly gay scouts will still be ejected once they turn 18, and openly gay scout leaders are still forbidden. That policy has led several corporate sponsors—including heavyweight Lockheed Martin—to yank funding of the organization.

http://www.slate.com/

by on Jan. 1, 2014 at 11:34 PM
Replies (21-25):
FlowerGirl777
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 3:04 PM

Lovely. 

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting FlowerGirl777:

what is their reason?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I know of 3 churches in town that are no longer supporting scout troops.  I also know of a large individual donor they lost.

Of course these things aren't covered by the media.

They are churches, homosexuality is a sin.  The individual is very religious and won't give to any organization that promotes sin.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 2, 2014 at 4:07 PM

It really is too bad.

Boy Scouts provided my husband and his 4 brothers such stability and grounding. Within our family there are 4 Eagles...one of my hub's brothers told me that the scoutmaster told him, "the reason that you're not an Eagle, like several of your brothers is because you're only here for the fun."

Too bad people like the MO Rep suing the Feds instead of opting out of state sponsored HCI and securing his own, would not walk the walk too.

It seems it is much easier to walk the walk where money is tied to convictions, when the people/person who will ultimately suffer the fallout is not you....too bad the donor chose to ultimately hurt the boys...rather short-sighted, but sometimes people are easily blinded by the trees in the forest.

Such a sin would be easily reconcilled via the sacraments.

Quoting FlowerGirl777:

Lovely. 

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting FlowerGirl777:

what is their reason?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

I know of 3 churches in town that are no longer supporting scout troops.  I also know of a large individual donor they lost.

They are churches, homosexuality is a sin.  The individual is very religious and won't give to any organization that promotes sin.

FlowerGirl777
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 7:53 PM

It is too bad. Boys really need stuff like this. They really do. Personally, I wanted my son to have lots of male role models in his life - gay straight, I didn't care. 

Quoting Sisteract:

It really is too bad.

Boy Scouts provided my husband and his 4 brothers such stability and grounding. Within our family there are 4 Eagles...one of my hub's brothers told me that the scoutmaster told him, "the reason that you're not an Eagle, like several of your brothers is because you're only here for the fun."

Too bad people like the MO Rep suing the Feds instead of opting out of state sponsored HCI and securing his own, would not walk the walk too.

It seems it is much easier to walk the walk where money is tied to convictions, when the people/person who will ultimately suffer the fallout is not you....too bad the donor chose to ultimately hurt the boys...rather short-sighted, but sometimes people are easily blinded by the trees in the forest.

Such a sin would be easily reconcilled via the sacraments.

Quoting FlowerGirl777:

Lovely. 

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Quoting FlowerGirl777:

what is their reason?

Quoting yourspecialkid:

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 2, 2014 at 7:56 PM
1 mom liked this

I guess it's a start but we won't have anything to do with BSA unless they change the rules about adults and Atheists.

We are happy to support Girl Scouts. Cookie season is coming!!

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

shannonnigans
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:08 PM

Well, that's just strange then, because further down this thread from your post,  one of your esteemed colleagues says that she knows of three churches just in her town alone that are no longer sponsoring the boy scouts.  Clearly they still have a problem with it, even without the gay scout leaders.  In fact, I'd bet the ranch that in previous posts about this subject, you yourself had an enormous problem with it.

"Actually many feel that the ban is actually holding the boy scouts to a higher standard."

"Actually I am sure throughout the history of boy scouts there have probably been many homosexual scouts and scout masters.  The only difference is now they want veryone to know it and rub their noses in it"

"They don't have to lead secret lives, they just won't be able to join the boy scouts.   Why would anyone want to join an organization that isn't comfortable with them.  Why don't they just start their own organization so they can include whoever they want."

"They won't be kept out if they just don't tell.  They have been doing it for over 100 years, why not just continue that."

"Just as the little homosexual boys can become boy scouts, they just have to keep it to themselvea.   Problem solved"

July 18, 2012

"The organization is getting ready to cover their butts in a very big way...No organization will stay the same or ever get any better if they are running it with a "we better cover our butt" attitude.  It has nowhere to go but downhill."

January 30, 2013

Quoting candlegal:

There will not be a mass exodus becausc no one has a problem with gay boy scouts.   It is gay leaders that people had a problem with and that is where the boy scouts drew the line.  They knew there would be a mass exodus if that happened.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured