Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Father Admits Axe Murdering 13-Year-Old Son Because He Was a 'Demon'

Posted by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM
  • 30 Replies

Father Admits Axe Murdering 13-Year-Old Son Because He Was a 'Demon'

by Michele Zipp

gary sherrillThe holidays can be challenging on some people. Divorce can make this time very difficult as well. And these things could be why 51-year-old Gary Sherrill seems to have lost his ability to think rationally. But we may never know exactly why Sherrill killed his 13-year-old son David with an axe on New Year's Eve. Or why he believed his son was possessed.

The elder Sherrill picked up his son from his ex-wife's home a day early. David's mother had been trying to get in touch with her son and didn't get a reply. Then he didn't return home when he was supposed to so she called the Phoenix police. When they arrived at Sherrill's home they discovered the unthinkable.

First Sherrill lied and said his son wasn't there, but the police entered the home and found the 13-year-old dead with stab wounds from an axe all over his body. There was signs of trauma as well. Perhaps there was a struggle of some sort. This is just so awful and sad.

The homicide detectives arrived and Sherrill admitted to murdering his son with an axe because he was scared of him. He said he believed his son was a demon and was going to eat him. Sherrill has been charged with first degree murder.

The breakdown of this man's mind is terrifying. A young boy -- a man's son, a mother's child -- has been murdered. I am just left thinking of the mother. Her feelings of helplessness and a sadness no person should ever have to bear. Truly awful. I hope her family and friends surround her with the love and light she needs right now. And I certainly feel we should all try to pay attention to any warning signs that something isn't right in another's person mind.

Do you think the holidays and divorce could lead people to do the unthinkable?

by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
acrogodess
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:24 AM
That poor boy. There are no words.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:34 AM
1 mom liked this

Maybe he WAS a demon! I hope it's looked into.

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:35 AM
Oh my goodness
Mipsy
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:00 AM
Also in AZ on Christmas Day a woman suffocated her 13yr old dd to death with her bare hands after she refused to take prescription pills to kill the girl. Then made the 8, 5, and 3yr old take prescription pills in an attempt to kill them. Lured her exdh to her home and stabbed him multiple times and stabbed herself. All except the 13yr old lived. She did it over a custody battle. It's freaking sick
Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:10 AM
1 mom liked this
So incredibly sad. If this man truly believed that, I hope he never wakes up from his delusions (while being locked up the whole time, of course) to find he brutally murdered his own son. I suspect his "recovery" would be short-lived. If he's lying about his mental state, then give his ex-wife an ax and a few minutes alone with him. RIP
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:20 AM

Lock him up- either in a mental health facility or prison....either way he is too dangerous to live among us.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 9:35 AM

That poor poor child.  I don't want to imagine that mothers heartbreak. it's incomprehensible. 

.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:06 AM
I can not imagine what the boy's mother must be feeling right now.
momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:09 AM
3 moms liked this

Crazy enough to think his son was demon-possessed, but sane enough to try to lie his way out of the body being found?  

Lock him up and throw away the key.  

heather77g
by Bronze Member on Jan. 2, 2014 at 10:20 AM
oh that poor poor boy
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)