Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Father Admits Axe Murdering 13-Year-Old Son Because He Was a 'Demon'

Posted by   + Show Post

Father Admits Axe Murdering 13-Year-Old Son Because He Was a 'Demon'

by Michele Zipp

gary sherrillThe holidays can be challenging on some people. Divorce can make this time very difficult as well. And these things could be why 51-year-old Gary Sherrill seems to have lost his ability to think rationally. But we may never know exactly why Sherrill killed his 13-year-old son David with an axe on New Year's Eve. Or why he believed his son was possessed.

The elder Sherrill picked up his son from his ex-wife's home a day early. David's mother had been trying to get in touch with her son and didn't get a reply. Then he didn't return home when he was supposed to so she called the Phoenix police. When they arrived at Sherrill's home they discovered the unthinkable.

First Sherrill lied and said his son wasn't there, but the police entered the home and found the 13-year-old dead with stab wounds from an axe all over his body. There was signs of trauma as well. Perhaps there was a struggle of some sort. This is just so awful and sad.

The homicide detectives arrived and Sherrill admitted to murdering his son with an axe because he was scared of him. He said he believed his son was a demon and was going to eat him. Sherrill has been charged with first degree murder.

The breakdown of this man's mind is terrifying. A young boy -- a man's son, a mother's child -- has been murdered. I am just left thinking of the mother. Her feelings of helplessness and a sadness no person should ever have to bear. Truly awful. I hope her family and friends surround her with the love and light she needs right now. And I certainly feel we should all try to pay attention to any warning signs that something isn't right in another's person mind.

Do you think the holidays and divorce could lead people to do the unthinkable?

by on Jan. 2, 2014 at 8:22 AM
Replies (21-30):
tmajma032408
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 2:13 AM
I think the father is the one "possessed".
Cutenessmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:04 AM

He is CRAZY! Poor child :(

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:27 AM

What in the name of Whatever fucking God you believe in is wrong with you people?

This is a sad horrific story and I hope dad spendes every last day of his life in prison. I hope they tell the general population what he did.

My heart goes out to the mother and other family of this child. I cannot imagine.

Quoting VooDooB:

Maybe he WAS a demon! I hope it's looked into.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:29 AM

Are you kidding me?

Quoting dustinsmom1:

I have a freind whos 13 yr old is postively frightening, another whos 6 yr old already beats on her. There is no disciplining children today, they run wild and become monsters

I feel badly for all involved and hope the man gets the mental help he needs.

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:38 AM

You don't believe in possession? I do.

And relax. No need to get all worked up on "you people" whatever in the world that means. But don't tell me. I've seen enough of your posts to know that I have no interest in bantering with you.

Quoting mikiemom:

What in the name of Whatever fucking God you believe in is wrong with you people?

This is a sad horrific story and I hope dad spendes every last day of his life in prison. I hope they tell the general population what he did.

My heart goes out to the mother and other family of this child. I cannot imagine.

Quoting VooDooB:

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:50 AM

His child was not possessed. Your response was disgusting and irresponsible. I'll take your not wanting to converse with me a compliment as I've seen a number of your posts as well. I get why you wouldn't want to debate :) good day.

Quoting VooDooB:

And relax. No need to get all worked up on "you people" whatever in the world that means. But don't tell me. I've seen enough of your posts to know that I have no interest in bantering with you.

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting VooDooB:

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting VooDooB:

I don't believe in demons, and I don't believe in possession.

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:52 AM

It's been the claim of the sick and twisted for centuries. Don't like someone just claim they are possessed by demons. Crazy sick people who claim others are possessed.  

Quoting romalove:

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting VooDooB:

VooDooB
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:52 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting VooDooB:

Okay. :)

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting mikiemom:

It's been the claim of the sick and twisted for centuries. Don't like someone just claim they are possessed by demons. Crazy sick people who claim others are possessed.  

Quoting romalove:

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting mikiemom:

Quoting VooDooB:

There are lots of excuses people give for their bad behavior, aren't there.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN