Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Did they go too far or should they be allowed to express themselves?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:10 AM
  • 47 Replies

Twitter Users Post Photo of Girl Passed Out & Threaten To Rape Her

by Lisa Fogarty

I'm not sure what kind of sicko would find this funny, but someone apparently did. A Twitter user named RichlonelyJuan, who has since had his account suspended, posted a disgusting photo on New Year's Eve of a woman passed out in her own vomit and then added the message, "Somebody put something in her drink, anyways, me and my brother bout to rape this b***h." 

RichlonelyJuan and another Twitter user named TaBarius continued to post photos and insane messages about the woman's well-being, but now -- as police investigate the situation and try to identify the users -- they're claiming it was all just a joke. Ha, ha?

After the first user's initial post and photo, TaBarius posted a follow-up photo of the woman (or at least it looks like her) wearing clothes and curled up on the floor. He wrote "I changed her clothes...shes sleeping piecefully (sic) for now." His next post was even more disturbing: "RT if I should let this xx live Fav if I should kill her" 

Let's ignore the crazy fact that a whopping 46 Twitter users thought this was hilarious and favorited the post. Far more users were disgusted by these posts and, after finding out it was a hoax, expressed their hope that RichlonelyJuan and TaBarius be caught by police and be forced to suffer the same fate by their employers (or school administration, depending on their ages) that Justine Sacco dealt with after posting a Twitter message about not catching AIDS in Africa because she is white. 

Here are just a few of the messages that were posted by stunned Twitter users:

A few people questioned why so many were gullible and believed the posts and photos in the first place, but I feel like they're missing the point. It's very possible that legal action can't be taken against these users for their "joke," but that in no way means we should be accepting and tolerant of this behavior.

Rape is not funny. A photo of a drunk woman covered in vomit is not funny. And, no matter how free we may be to post content on social media sites that others find disturbing, there are times when lines are crossed. Having a good laugh at the idea of violating a woman is one of those times. 

Do you think these Twitter users went too far with their posts or should they be allowed to express themselves?

by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:10 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Serabeth06
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:20 AM
6 moms liked this

There is no "free speech" or "free expression" when you're posting things on a web platform that someone is PAYING to keep online. There are terms of use, rules, regulations, and you're still subject to the law. You don't get to post "Fav this if I should choke this woman to death" and expect to not be punished for threatening someone's life. You don't get to post pictures of yourself engaging in illegal activity and expect to say, "Oh, I was joking." People think that they have "Free speech" over the internet, when they aren't paying for the platform they're posting to. I absolutely think these men should be punished for how they chose to "express themselves" in public.

lga1965
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:25 AM
This:

Quoting Serabeth06:

There is no "free speech" or "free expression" when you're posting things on a web platform that someone is PAYING to keep online. There are terms of use, rules, regulations, and you're still subject to the law. You don't get to post "Fav this if I should choke this woman to death" and expect to not be punished for threatening someone's life. You don't get to post pictures of yourself engaging in illegal activity and expect to say, "Oh, I was joking." People think that they have "Free speech" over the internet, when they aren't paying for the platform they're posting to. I absolutely think these men should be punished for how they chose to "express themselves" in public.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:43 AM
4 moms liked this

some people find rape funny....there are a whole group of them in this forum.

I think it was a "christian" woman who posted a disgusting rape meme and about 20 people LIKED it.

I still remember a few of those names....simply because I couldnt believe they actually liked it?

some people are just sick

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:47 AM
3 moms liked this

Quoting Serabeth06:

IMO sites like FB and youtube should if they don't already have within their terms any and all pictures or videos appearing to be violent crimes will be turned over to law enforcement along with all account information.  If people want to fake this type of stuff then they can pay the costs associated with law enforcement investigation.  

Nysa
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:47 AM
3 moms liked this

There is a limit on freedom of speech. You can't yell fire in a crowded theater. You can't say you are going to rape someone and not face the consequences. 

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:50 AM
2 moms liked this

Threatening physical harm on another should be a reportable offense!

LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:52 AM
Twitter isn't the town square. You (general) have no right to do anything on Twitter, or Facebook, or CadeMom.
candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 3, 2014 at 9:54 AM
1 mom liked this

I think they should be allowed to post this type of stuff.   That way the police can track them and find out who they are.

Serabeth06
by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:14 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm pretty sure that those regulations are in the terms of service for most public web platforms or social media sites. These regulations are being adopted by newer media and technology as well. For example, I don't have an X-Box One in my house, because they plainly state that even when your console is off, they are recording, and anything recorded on your X-Box One can be used either to advertise to you based on what you say, watch, or do, or can be turned over to law enforcement if they think a crime or criminal activity is being done. Now, we don't commit crimes in our house, but if I talk one too many times about Lays Potato Chips, I don't want my game console showing me a bag of chips. ): It also states, like Facebook and other social media sites, that your activity is sold (or given freely for money, haha) to advertisers in order to make them more effective. We give up our rights to privacy and free speech with each new piece of technology we tap in to, then people cry foul when they realize, oops, I didn't read the terms of use.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting Serabeth06:

IMO sites like FB and youtube should if they don't already have within their terms any and all pictures or videos appearing to be violent crimes will be turned over to law enforcement along with all account information.  If people want to fake this type of stuff then they can pay the costs associated with law enforcement investigation.  

12hellokitty
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 10:26 AM

Don't have an X-Box One, but thanks for the info. 

Quoting Serabeth06:

I'm pretty sure that those regulations are in the terms of service for most public web platforms or social media sites. These regulations are being adopted by newer media and technology as well. For example, I don't have an X-Box One in my house, because they plainly state that even when your console is off, they are recording, and anything recorded on your X-Box One can be used either to advertise to you based on what you say, watch, or do, or can be turned over to law enforcement if they think a crime or criminal activity is being done. Now, we don't commit crimes in our house, but if I talk one too many times about Lays Potato Chips, I don't want my game console showing me a bag of chips. ): It also states, like Facebook and other social media sites, that your activity is sold (or given freely for money, haha) to advertisers in order to make them more effective. We give up our rights to privacy and free speech with each new piece of technology we tap in to, then people cry foul when they realize, oops, I didn't read the terms of use.

Quoting 12hellokitty:

Quoting Serabeth06:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)