Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Do You Know What A Yellow Ribbon Tied On A Dog’s Collar Means?

Posted by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:05 PM
  • 56 Replies
2 moms liked this

Do You Know What A Yellow Ribbon Tied On A Dog’s Collar Means?
You are out in the park with your family, playing, running, maybe even having a picnic.  Perhaps your dog is with you; however, off in the distance you see adorable dog approaching with their handler and your children immediately begin to run towards this adorable dog.  As the dog is getting closer, you see a yellow ribbon tied on the dog’s collar.  What goes through your mind?

Photo courtesy AniCareVets

A yellow ribbon around a dog’s collar is to help children identify that you need to proceed with caution. The dog may not be child friendly, may have fear or anxiety issues, or may be overly excited.  Either way, caution should be applied when approaching.
The Yellow Dog Project is a nonprofit organization that is a global effort to help raise awareness and education around dogs that require a little extra distance upon approaching.  Does this mean that the dog is aggressive or mean?  No, there are numerous reasons why a dog may have a yellow ribbon. It may mean the dog is new with the handler, is under medical care, or in foster care for instance.
The purpose of this project is to assist with the proper techniques to approach a dog. Children have a lot of energy and often to run up and pet a dog. Not all dogs understand this and can become fearful.  With proper education, all parties are put in a less stressful environment, which in turn reduces opportunities for an unforeseen accident.
For more information about this wonderful cause, please visit: The Yellow Dog Facebook page.  Learn how to educate family, friends, colleagues, and yourself.  When there is knowledge, there is understanding.
Have you ever seen a dog wearing a yellow ribbon?  Did you know what it meant prior to this article? Do you have a dog that may need to wear a yellow ribbon?
Please SHARE to help spread the word!
Share750K
LIKE us for more great content!

Read more at http://theilovedogssite.com/do-you-know-what-a-yellow-ribbon-tied-on-a-dogs-collar-means/#gaikGIKbbLpI3UvV.99

by on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:05 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
babie113
by Silver Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:07 PM
I didn't know that .thanks for sharing
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:08 PM
1 mom liked this

That's great to know! I'm going to get my mom a couple for her dogs.

poietes
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:09 PM
3 moms liked this
Cool, but I teach my children to handle each and every dog we encounter with care and always ask the owners permission.
Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:11 PM

i wish they had one that said 'no big dogs' lol.  my dog loves people, loves small dogs, but he is a dominant male and when encountering another dominant males (not submissive males or any female) i get scared that something will happen... so it would be nice to be able to show that my dog is great with all EXCEPT dominant large males hahahaha

Paigesmommy78
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:11 PM
Good to.know
dalbax2
by Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:12 PM
Good to know.
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:13 PM
2 moms liked this

thanks for sharing.

perhaps as a result one child fewer child will bitten, one dog that is being resocialized won' t have to be put down. 

SallyMJ
by Bronze Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:16 PM
2 moms liked this

You miss the dog and hope he comes back from the doggy penitentiary soon?

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:19 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't know, but it does make sense. Yellow signs usually mean approach/proceed with caution.

I think I'll get one for my dog. He's very protective, friendly when introduced, but if someone were to just run up to him (us) he'd go into protective mode.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 3, 2014 at 6:21 PM
I did not know that! Thanks for sharing
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN