Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

This glass sphere might revolutionize solar power on Earth

Posted by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM
  • 32 Replies
2 moms liked this

http://themindunleashed.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/glass-sphereee.jpg

German architect André Broessel, of Rawlemon, has looked into his crystal ball and seen the future of renewable energy. In this case it’s a spherical sun-tracking solar energy-generating globe — essentially a giant glass marble on a robotic steel frame. But this marble is no toy. It concentrates both sunlight and moonlight up to 10,000 times — making its solar harvesting capabilities 35 percent more efficient than conventional dual-axis photovoltaic designs.

André Broessel was a finalist in the World Technology Network Award 2013 with the globe’s design and afterward produced this latest version, called Betaray, which can concentrate diffuse light such as that from a cloudy day.

Let me repeat that. This is 35% more efficient than current solar panels and is able to operate on cloudy days.  It concentrates light by 10,000 times. The second video has slightly better film of it, but it is in spanish.  The first video is in english.

LINK TO VIDEOS

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

by on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:44 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 2:48 PM

I think it's pretty cool looking myself. That it has an actual use, makes it even more appealing. I wonder if it could be modified in some way for individual home use. I would be interested 

GrettieMeh
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:11 PM

It's certainly much prettier LOL.  Love it.  

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:16 PM
2 moms liked this

I would love for Solar power to become cheaper to maintain and easier to use. This is a good step forward.

Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:17 PM

Quoting fireangel5:

I think it's pretty cool looking myself. That it has an actual use, makes it even more appealing. I wonder if it could be modified in some way for individual home use. I would be interested 

Very futuristic. If it works as well as they hope then they will figure out some way to make it feasible for homes. It'll take a few years but it's coming. Or someone will find something better.

Chris030406
by Bronze Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:18 PM
This came across my FB earlier today. Very cool and hopefully a step toward advancing solar energy.
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:19 PM

Quoting mikiemom:

I would love for Solar power to become cheaper to maintain and easier to use. This is a good step forward.

I would love to get solar on our house. We live in one of the best places in the world for solar power. We have more sun than anything else.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:26 PM
2 moms liked this

that is amazing and encouraging!  It would be wonderful to not need oil,wouldn't it?

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:27 PM
1 mom liked this

I love to see advances in solar power.  The fact that this can concentrate solar energy would be very helpful in places like where I live where the sun doesn't shine very long during short winter days.  That combined with energy storage advances could really move us forward.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Quoting mikiemom:

I agree!!!

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 4, 2014 at 3:29 PM
1 mom liked this

It also looks very cool, lol.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured