Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Detroit police chief: Legal gun owners can deter crime

Posted by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:09 AM
  • 34 Replies
Detroit Police Chief James Craig (Charles V. Tines / The Detroit News, file)

Detroit— If more citizens were armed, criminals would think twice about attacking them, Detroit Police Chief James Craig said Thursday.

Urban police chiefs are typically in favor of gun control or reluctant to discuss the issue, but Craig on Thursday was candid about how he’s changed his mind.

“When we look at the good community members who have concealed weapons permits, the likelihood they’ll shoot is based on a lack of confidence in this Police Department,” Craig said at a press conference at police headquarters, adding that he thinks more Detroit citizens feel safer, thanks in part to a 7 percent drop in violent crime in 2013.

Craig said he started believing that legal gun owners can deter crime when he became police chief in Portland, Maine, in 2009.

“Coming from California (Craig was on the Los Angeles police force for 28 years), where it takes an act of Congress to get a concealed weapon permit, I got to Maine, where they give out lots of CCWs (carrying concealed weapon permits), and I had a stack of CCW permits I was denying; that was my orientation.

“I changed my orientation real quick. Maine is one of the safest places in America. Clearly, suspects knew that good Americans were armed.”

Craig’s statements Thursday echoed those he made Dec. 19 on “The Paul W. Smith Show” on WJR (760 AM), when he said: “There’s a number of CPL (concealed pistol license) holders running around the city of Detroit. I think it acts as a deterrent. Good Americans with CPLs translates into crime reduction. I learned that real quick in the state of Maine.”

Robyn Thomas, director of the the Law Center to Prevent Gun Violence in San Francisco, disagreed.

“I think at its core, his position is an emotional one, based on the idea that people feel safer when they have guns. But studies have shown more guns don’t deter crime,” Thomas said. “There’s no research that shows guns make anyone safer, and it does show that, the more guns in any situation, the higher the likelihood of them harming either the owner, or people who have access to them.”

Rick Ector of the Firearm Academy of Detroit, which teaches gun safety classes, said Craig’s comments are unusual for a police official.

“It’s a huge, radical departure for the police chief to say good people should have access to firearms,” said Ector. “I’m not ready to say he’s pro-gun just yet, but it’s vastly different from what police chiefs have said in the past.”

Michigan Association of Chiefs of Police director Robert Stevenson agreed.

“A lot of police officers have no problem at all with law-abiding citizens having guns,” Stevenson said.

“I think it’s probably like the citizenry: Some are for it, some are against it. But most police chiefs don’t want to talk about the subject.

“It’s a divisive issue, and a lot of times chiefs are reluctant to get in the middle of those debates. Gun control, the death penalty — most chiefs try to stay out of those discussions. Craig speaks his mind; you’ve got to give him credit for that.”

According to a March 2013 anonymous poll of 15,000 officers by the law enforcement website policeone.com., almost 90 percent of the respondents believed casualties would be decreased if armed citizens were present during shooting incidents, while more than 80 percent supported arming teachers who were trained with firearms.

Although Craig said more responsible gun owners would likely lower crime, in the past he also has called for a ban on assault weapons, regulating high-capacity magazines, tighter restrictions on Internet ammunition sales and more stringent background checks for merchants who sell firearms at gun shows.

Detroit police have reported 73 justifiable homicides in the city since 2011. The number in 2013 was 15, down from 25 the previous year.

Most of those cases involved citizens who defended themselves by killing criminals. Among them: 77-year-old Willie White, who in March 2012, fatally shot a man who’d broken into his northwest Detroit home.

Prior to the incident, White’s home had been broken into several times. The break-ins stopped after he killed the 18-year-old intruder, he said.

“I think these criminals would definitely think twice if they knew more citizens were armed,” White said. “

From The Detroit News: http://www.detroitnews.com/article/20140103/METRO01/301030038#ixzz2pWcU4TR3

by on Jan. 5, 2014 at 6:09 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:23 AM
3 moms liked this

Here's a bump...good info here.

Criminals get braver and more secure in their criminal activity when they know there isn't anyone to stop them. 

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 5, 2014 at 9:24 AM

Thanks, and yes they do.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Here's a bump...good info here.

Criminals get braver and more secure in their criminal activity when they know there isn't anyone to stop them. 

tnmomofive
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 10:35 AM
2 moms liked this

Where I live the main issue crime wise is domestic violence and meth users. I know for a fact that my home goes untouched (not broken into) because I own guns and will use them. A year or so ago a man not too far from me had his home broken into. He did have a few guns but they were locked in his safe. The perps had him open that safe as soon as he put the code in and it unlocked they shot him point blank in the back of his head let him bleed out and drug his body outside.

Yeah i'll keep my guns

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 11:04 AM
1 mom liked this

I'm sorry candlegal, but that is the most offensive article I have ever read.  And that police chief is the dumbest box of rocks I've ever heard speak.  Removing the context of his move from the very different lifestyle and population in Maine.  The guy is certainly not an anthropologist. 

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this
You'd be hard pressed find anyone in the D who thinks the answer to the violence is more guns. He's made some good changes, I cant imagine why anyone would want his job.
wymama610
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 12:44 PM
1 mom liked this
I am in no way an expert, but I don't think you have to be to see that the highest crime rates exist in cities that have the strictest gun control. DC, Chicago, NYC....... Common sense to me. I live pretty rural and crime is low. Pretty much everyone owns guns.
yourspecialkid
by Platinum Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

This is bound to cause a few liberal headaches.  A former LAPD officer is now in favor of armed citizens.

He is of course correct...the FBI stats back him up.  The FBI has lots of neat stats for anyone interested in browsing them.

coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 1:52 PM
Just because gun use (and carrying) is legal doesn't mean guns are in the hands of good guys only. Michigan is an open carry state (which I learned in this forum just last week) and crime is still bad in Detroit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
wymama610
by Bronze Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 2:42 PM
1 mom liked this
People have to jump through more hoops than a lion at the circus to obtain a legal weapon.

6. What are the steps necessary to purchase and legally possess a pistol in Michigan without a concealed pistol license?

MCL 28.422

The prospective purchaser must successfully pass (70% or more) a basic pistol safety questionnaire and obtain a License to Purchase, which is valid for 10 days, from the local law enforcement agency. The purchaser must sign a notarized sworn statement that they meet the Michigan qualifications to purchase/obtain a pistol. At the time of the purchase, the purchaser and the seller complete the form. The License to Purchase, must be returned in person or by certified or first class mail to the local law enforcement agency within 10 days.

After purchase they have to register with police

MCL 28.422

A License to Purchase is a license required prior to acquisition of a pistol by purchase or gift. The important part of the License to Purchase is the affidavit signed by the purchaser swearing to their own qualifications. A License to Purchase is not needed for anyone with a valid Michigan Concealed Pistol License, for firearms dealers purchasing from wholesalers, or for relics, curios, antiques, etc., not made for modern ammunition. Someone with a valid Michigan Concealed Pistol License must, however, complete a Pistol Sales Record when purchasing or acquiring a pistol.

This one made me laugh......

9. Do pellet pistols have to be registered?

MCL 28.421 Although, there is an occasional misconception that pellet pistols only require registration if they are over .177 caliber, that caliber designation only applies to guns made exclusively for propelling BB's. A pellet pistol, does fall under the definition of a firearm, and is subject to all License to Purchase, and Concealed Pistol License requirements.

Quoting coolmommy2x: Just because gun use (and carrying) is legal doesn't mean guns are in the hands of good guys only. Michigan is an open carry state (which I learned in this forum just last week) and crime is still bad in Detroit.
coolmommy2x
by Silver Member on Jan. 5, 2014 at 3:05 PM
But not everyone has one legally.

Quoting wymama610: People have to jump through more hoops than a lion at the circus to obtain a legal weapon.

6. What are the steps necessary to purchase and legally possess a pistol in Michigan without a concealed pistol license?

MCL 28.422

The prospective purchaser must successfully pass (70% or more) a basic pistol safety questionnaire and obtain a License to Purchase, which is valid for 10 days, from the local law enforcement agency. The purchaser must sign a notarized sworn statement that they meet the Michigan qualifications to purchase/obtain a pistol. At the time of the purchase, the purchaser and the seller complete the form. The License to Purchase, must be returned in person or by certified or first class mail to the local law enforcement agency within 10 days.

After purchase they have to register with police

MCL 28.422

A License to Purchase is a license required prior to acquisition of a pistol by purchase or gift. The important part of the License to Purchase is the affidavit signed by the purchaser swearing to their own qualifications. A License to Purchase is not needed for anyone with a valid Michigan Concealed Pistol License, for firearms dealers purchasing from wholesalers, or for relics, curios, antiques, etc., not made for modern ammunition. Someone with a valid Michigan Concealed Pistol License must, however, complete a Pistol Sales Record when purchasing or acquiring a pistol.

This one made me laugh......

9. Do pellet pistols have to be registered?

MCL 28.421 Although, there is an occasional misconception that pellet pistols only require registration if they are over .177 caliber, that caliber designation only applies to guns made exclusively for propelling BB's. A pellet pistol, does fall under the definition of a firearm, and is subject to all License to Purchase, and Concealed Pistol License requirements.

Quoting coolmommy2x: Just because gun use (and carrying) is legal doesn't mean guns are in the hands of good guys only. Michigan is an open carry state (which I learned in this forum just last week) and crime is still bad in Detroit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)