Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Brain dead girl Jahi McMath released from California hospital (CNN)

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:46 AM
  • 181 Replies

Brain dead girl Jahi McMath released from California hospital

By Ed Payne and Catherine E. Shoichet, CNN
updated 7:11 AM EST, Mon January 6, 2014

Jahi McMath released from hospital

STORY HIGHLIGHTS
  • Jahi McMath is on a ventilator and has been declared brain dead by doctors
  • Her family is moving her to another facility
  • A New York facility says it's a potential destination for Jahi McMath
  • The family has raised more than $48,000 on GoFundMe.com to cover her move

(CNN) -- Jahi McMath, the 13-year-old girl on a ventilator who was declared brain dead by doctors in California after tonsil surgery, was released from a hospital to her mother Sunday night.

"The body of Jahi McMath was released by Children's Hospital & Research Center Oakland to the coroner," said David Durand, the hospital's chief of pediatrics. "The coroner has released her body to the custody of her mother, Latasha Winkfield, as per court order, for a destination unknown."

She left the hospital accompanied by a critical care team, attached to a ventilator, but with no feeding tube in place.

Family attorney Christopher Dolan cheered the development. "She is safely out of Children's," he tweeted.

Caplan: Brain dead is death
'Brain dead case' raises ethical issues
Debating the definition of "Dead"
Brain-Death ruling, child slapped case

Although a New York facility says it's ready to care for Jahi, Dolan told reporters Sunday night that her destination won't be announced.

"We've had people make threats from around the country. It's sad that people act that way," Dolan said. "So for Jahi's safety and those around her, we will not be saying where she went or where she is."

But New Beginnings Community Center in Medford, New York, said it is an option.

"At this time we're named as the potential facility that Jahi and her family will be coming to, but we will know more details in a couple of hours, and we'll certainly be happy to let you know as we know," said Allyson Scerri, founder of the New Beginnings.

On its website, the facility bills itself as an outpatient rehabilitation center for patients with traumatic brain injuries and says it plans to open a long-term care facility. According to her online biography posted on the facility's website, Scerri worked as a hair stylist for 25 years and founded the facility after her father sustained a traumatic brain injury in a motorcycle accident.

"We are aware of Jahi McMath's dire situation, and we are willing to open our outpatient facility to provide 24-hour care as an inpatient, long-term facility for Jahi with the required and appropriate medical staff that she depends upon," Scerri said in a letter included in court documents last week.

The teen was declared brain dead on December 12, three days after doctors removed her tonsils, adenoids and extra sinus tissue.

Let parents decide if teen is dead

A medical and ethical debate

As a fierce court battle unfolded between devastated family members fighting to keep her on the ventilator and doctors arguing she'd already died, the case has drawn national attention and fueled debate.

Doctors and a judge have declared her brain dead and said there's no chance Jahi will come back to life.

Hawaii girl, 3, dies after dental procedure

"Overall, unfortunate circumstances in 13-year-old with known, irreversible brain injury and now complete absence of cerebral function and complete absence of brainstem function, child meets all criteria for brain death, by professional societies and state of California," Dr. Paul Fisher, chief of pediatric neurology at Stanford University, said in a medical report on the case.

Medical ethicists, meanwhile, say the high-profile case fuels a misperception: that "brain death" is somehow not as final as cardiac death, even though, by definition, it is.

Covering the costs

So far the family has raised more than $48,000 on GoFundMe.com to move her. According to the site, more than 1,300 people have donated money in nine days.

"We're very grateful, very proud," said Omari Sealey, Jahi's uncle. "We want to thank everyone that supported us, everyone that stood in our corner, everyone that prayed for us, everyone that helped donate to make this possible. Without out you guys, none of this would be possible."

Scerri told CNN Sunday that the girl just needs to be given a chance to recover.

"Her brain needs time to heal. It's a new injury," Scerri said. "We believe in life after injury. All of us here at New Beginnings have first-hand experience because we have a loved one that was in the same situation as Jahi."

Dolan said moving Jahi to a new care facility is critical to her recovery.

"We're very pleased to announce that Jahi McMath has been taken from Children's Hospital and brought to a place where they will use her name instead of calling her a body, and where she can get to the starting line instead of where Children's has left her the past four weeks almost, at the finish line."

On Friday, the Alameda County coroner issued a death certificate for Jahi.

The certificate, which still needed to be accepted by the health department to become official, listed December 12 as her date of death.

In releasing Jahi, the hospital said: "Our hearts go out to the family as they grieve for this sad situation and we wish them closure and peace."

When routine surgeries go wrong

CNN's Joe Sutton, Martin Savidge, Janet DiGiacomo, Greg Botelho and Elizabeth Landau contributed to this report.

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:46 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Queenme101
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:50 AM
2 moms liked this
It is a tragic story but the Mom is only prolonging the inevitable. It isn't fair to keep the shell of her daughter " alive " because she is unable to let go.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Phylis419
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:53 AM
1 mom liked this

it's sad and in a tough place to be in. I don't ever want to even come to think how a mother has to make this decision...as a mom i only hope for strength to do what's best.

but I hear you on this loud and clear.

Quoting Queenme101: It is a tragic story but the Mom is only prolonging the inevitable. It isn't fair to keep the shell of her daughter " alive " because she is unable to let go.

Sunshine257
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:56 AM
1 mom liked this
I think they did the right thing releasing her to them. They are still in shock I don't know if what they are doing is right or wrong because I am not them and don't know how I would react in that situation. Maybe they will finally be able to come to peace with this situation and let her go.
romalove
by Roma on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:56 AM
7 moms liked this

"Her brain needs time to heal. It's a new injury," Scerri said. "We believe in life after injury. All of us here at New Beginnings have first-hand experience because we have a loved one that was in the same situation as Jahi."

^^^^^ From the article

Disturbing that they are talking about brain death as if it is a regular injury.  There is no coming back from brain death.  That he says they believe in life after "injury" and says they've been where this family is, unless they have had a certified brain death followed by a miraculous recovery (which we would have heard about, I'm sure, since coming back from the dead is exceedingly rare) is disingenuous and giving people who are in denial about their child's condition further fuel to maintain that denial.

Horrible, horrible, sad story.  These people are not being well served.

Queenme101
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 7:58 AM
I pray that I am never put in a position like this. It is gut-wrenching to think about. I guess its easy for any of us to say what we would do if faced with a tragedy like this but who knows how any of us would react. I just hate to see the prolonging of Jahi and the families suffering. :(

Quoting Phylis419:

it's sad and in a tough place to be in. I don't ever want to even come to think how a mother has to make this decision...as a mom i only hope for strength to do what's best.

Quoting Queenme101: It is a tragic story but the Mom is only prolonging the inevitable. It isn't fair to keep the shell of her daughter " alive " because she is unable to let go.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Phylis419
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

i do agree on you with this statement

Quoting Queenme101: I pray that I am never put in a position like this. It is gut-wrenching to think about. I guess its easy for any of us to say what we would do if faced with a tragedy like this but who knows how any of us would react. I just hate to see the prolonging of Jahi and the families suffering. :(

Quoting Phylis419:

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Oh my, this is sad.
usmc0351wife
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this

The whole situation is heartbreaking. I can't imagine as a mother going through this. I do hope they are getting help to come to realization that she is gone.  They say as long as her heart is beating, yet they don't realize it is a machine doing the work.  I truly hope they let this girl rest in peace and help to bring comfort to them in their decision. 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:05 AM

Agreed.

Per more than one neurologists exam, she is brain dead. There is not recovering when your brain stem is no longer functioning. This is not brain injury.

I guess her parents have pretty flexible jobs if they're able to move to NY on 3 weeks notice...or is she going alone?

Quoting romalove:

^^^^^ From the article

Disturbing that they are talking about brain death as if it is a regular injury.  There is no coming back from brain death.  That he says they believe in life after "injury" and says they've been where this family is, unless they have had a certified brain death followed by a miraculous recovery (which we would have heard about, I'm sure, since coming back from the dead is exceedingly rare) is disingenuous and giving people who are in denial about their child's condition further fuel to maintain that denial.

Horrible, horrible, sad story.  These people are not being well served.

KenneMaw
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 8:05 AM
2 moms liked this
What a beautiful girl. My heart breaks for these parents. As another mom said I pray I am never in that situation.
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured