Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How are you dealing with the cold?

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 9:34 AM
  • 56 Replies

Terrifying 'Polar Vortex' Causing Record-Breaking Cold Across Much of the US

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

If you thought you were cold last week in the Midwest, think again. A "polar vortex" is about to descend on much of the country and will bring with it frigid, record-breaking temperatures. Think massive drops below zero, icicles on the eyelashes, and car doors stuck shut. Some schools have even closed for the first time, not for snow, but for cold.

Yikes.

A "polar vortex" is essentially a whirlpool of frigid, dense air, almost like a tornado of cold. And though they usually stay away from populated areas, this time it won't because the winds that usually keep it contained are absent and so the cold will be moving far afield. To us. Brrr. It could feel as cold as -60 degrees F in some places.

But it's winter, right? Who cares? Well, this is potentially "life-threatening" according to the National Weather service. Here are five reasons to be scared:

1.) School bus trouble: Not only will cars and school buses have trouble starting in such frigid weather, this is the type of weather that can cause frostbite within FIVE MINUTES of exposure (OMG, I am freezing even thinking about it). So all those kids waiting at bus stops? Are in danger. Drive your kids to school or wait with them in a warm car at the bus stop. You won't be sorry. Not to mention the air brakes. They can't function when it's too cold. Now canceling for the cold makes sense, doesn't it?

2.) Frost bite: As stated before, this is the type of weather that can cause frostbite in five minutes. We are talking 60 below here. This is not your average winter storm. Minnesota canceled school for cold for the first time in 17 years. MINNESOTA, people! This is serious.

3.) Space heaters: If you use one, TURN IT OFF when you are not in the room. Seventy-nine percent of home heating fires are caused by space heaters. Makes you sort of accept being cold, right?

4.) Heat pumps don't work: Heat pumps are really only good for heating when it's 40 degrees or higher. They simply can't keep up. Sub-zero temperatures combined with freezing rain and sleet can cause heat pumps to freeze up and stop functioning. Check on your elderly neighbors and be aware of your heat sources.

5.) Frozen pipes: We have already had one frozen pipe in our kitchen half bath. We got off easy (so far), but for others, frozen water expands, bursting pipes and causing nightmares and headaches for home owners who are left contending with no heat AND a mess once things start to thaw.

Cold, cold, go AWAY!

How will you be dealing with this cold snap?

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 9:34 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:08 AM

Staying indoors for the most part.

Dressing in layers.

My hubs is living in corporate housing, so the maintenance or problems associated with the winter weather is not our problem to navigate.

Oh and I find a good shot of Honey Jack at night is very warming.

tmajma032408
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:18 AM
Surprised my kids had school today, probably not tomorrow though, it's supposed to drop -30 tonight. I live in southwest PA
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:22 AM
2 moms liked this

Fuzzy socks, slippers, gloves, big puffy jacket, hot chocolate.

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:29 AM

The only thing I can think of with that term Polar Vortex is that movie with Dennis Quaid and Jake Gyllenhall. Lol I can't believe how cold it's going to be! 

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:29 AM
1 mom liked this

I love me some Jack. Especially Honey Jack! 

Quoting Sisteract:

Dressing in layers.

My hubs is living in corporate housing, so the maintenance or problems associated with the winter weather is not our problem to navigate.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:31 AM

:)

Quoting DestinyHLewis:

I love me some Jack. Especially Honey Jack! 

Quoting Sisteract:

Dressing in layers.

babie113
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:33 AM
staying in my house
Della529
by Matlock on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:35 AM

We are finally going to have some really cold weather.  Supposed to be 18 tomorrow morning.  But it's only going to last for two days, and then we'll be back in the 70's.

lga1965
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 10:37 AM
Turning on faucets , letting a tiny bit of water run. Open cupboard doors to keep under the sink pipes warm. Turning the heat up a few degrees. Dressing in layers, have blankets in car, keeping gas tank full. Extra quilts on beds. Warm bath, glass of wine
:-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
armywifey1983
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 1:23 PM

We had a powerful blast of wind last night around 2am that temporarily knocked out our pwoer. My first thought was 'f*#@, now what?!' but thankfully the power came back a few moments later. We live in an apartment with a gas fireplace, so if we do end up losing power, we'll have that.

Our dog is a serious snow-bird, but I'll be bundling her up in her coat for her bathroom excursions, and keep them as close to five minutes as possible. I'm worried about DH though. He works in a hangar at the local airport. Thankfully its heated well in the winter, but he may get called out to assist on the flightline. Time to dig out the travel thermos. Stay warm out there, CM'ers!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)