Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Texas Doctor: I Hope Politicians Learn ‘How Many Girls Are Self-Aborting

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:29 AM
  • 150 Replies

Texas Doctor: I Hope Politicians Learn ‘How Many Girls Are Self-Aborting In The Rio Grande Valley’

article image

As a federal appeals court begins to review the Texas abortion law that closed many clinics across the state, a doctor in the Lower Rio Grande Valley is speaking out.

“I hope our politicians are made aware of how many girls are self-aborting in the Rio Grande Valley. This law is backfiring,” said Dr. Lester Minto, owner of Reproductive Services of Harlingen.

He says women are getting misoprostol, an ulcer drug that can cause abortion, on their own, illegally, and self-aborting without the care of a medical professional.

Minto says he wears a bullet-proof vest to work and carries a .45 pistol. He told Aljazeera America that he has the FBI and a federal marshal on speed dial.

"They're always waving their Bibles at me," he said of the protesters outside.

When he recently asked a patient what she would do if his clinic closed, she told him she would have to resort to something illegal.

Minto has promised to do whatever he has to do to keep helping women.

"Who said I'm not going to do abortions? You said that. I didn't say that. There's other names you can call it,” he said in October.

There were 2,634 abortions performed in the Lower Rio Grande Valley in 2011.

Demographers say the new law will keep 22,000 Texans from securing an abortion in 2014.

A three-judge panel of the 5th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals in New Orleans is scheduled to hear arguments in the case on Monday, after a previous ruling found parts of the 2013 Texas abortion bill to be unconstitutional.

The Center for Reproductive Rights and Planned Parenthood have sued to block two provisions of the law: one requiring doctors who perform abortions have admitting priveleges to hospitals within 30 miles and another that restricts how doctors administers abortion drugs.

"Large parts of the state would no longer have an abortion provider," attorneys for the groups wrote in a Dec. 13 court filing. "Those health centers that could continue to provide abortions would be forced to serve more women with fewer physicians."

Texas is currently enforcing the law ahead of the appeals decision.

Sources: Aljazeera America, Amarillo Globe-News

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:33 AM
10 moms liked this
Yay for pro lifers making this man feel threatened enough to carry a gun and wear a bullet proof vest

But remember, women are only breeders for the government. We don't matter
jessilin0113
by Platinum Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:37 AM
5 moms liked this
That is desperately sad. Those poor girls.
LiveinJoy
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Sadly the next horrible act will be when lawmakers push to arrest these women for practicing medicine without a license.

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this

Can someone please explain to me if it is difficult for a doctor to get admitting privledges in a hospital?

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:43 AM
12 moms liked this

"Demographers say the new law will keep 22,000 Texans from securing an abortion in 2014."

Praise God.

The fact that some people will go to dangerous and illegal lengths to kill their offspring isn't a good argument in favor of making it more convenient to legally kill their offspring, in my opinion.

Have I not commanded you? Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid; do not be discouraged, for the LORD your God will be with you wherever you go. Joshua 1:9                                                   My Blog

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:49 AM
9 moms liked this
My hope is that we can one day get to the core of what it is that would make a girl/woman so temporarily out of her mind to want to kill her own child. Abortion is a symptom of a much larger, wide spread problem in our society.
jllcali
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 11:59 AM
2 moms liked this
Admitting privileges are irrelevant. If the patient has an urgent or emergent condition, she would need to be seen in the ED or L&D (depending on gestational age), not the floor. EMTALA requires hospitals to care for patients with emergent/urgent medical conditions or transfer to an appropriate facility whether or not the patient has the ability to pay, and whether or not the patient's personal physician has admitting privileges is completely irrelevant.

Quoting fireangel5:

Can someone please explain to me if it is difficult for a doctor to get admitting privledges in a hospital?

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:01 PM
6 moms liked this

My argument is a personal one.

My grandmother, who was already a mother to four children, almost died from an illegal aborition in the 1950s.   Thus, 4 children were very nearly left without their mom, a risk that wouldn't have happened had she been able to get an abortion legally.

Had birth control been available to her, she likely would not have ever had the need to abort, period. So I say let's start there - making birth control as widely available as possible.

Quoting AlekD:

"Demographers say the new law will keep 22,000 Texans from securing an abortion in 2014."

Praise God.

The fact that some people will go to dangerous and illegal lengths to kill their offspring isn't a good argument in favor of making it more convenient to legally kill their offspring, in my opinion.

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

I would love to see that also.   I do know part of the problem is that as long as abortion is legal, people will  think it is okay.   If it is legal, there must not be anything wrong with it or it wouldn't be legal.

Quoting KamWorthy: My hope is that we can one day get to the core of what it is that would make a woman so temporarily out of her mind to want to kill her own child. Abortion is a symptom of a much larger, wide spread problem in our society.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 6, 2014 at 12:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Of course, people will do whatever it takes.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN