Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Drink your way to well behaved kids...

Posted by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM
  • 79 Replies

Thoughts?

http://atlanta.cbslocal.com/2014/01/04/study-moms-who-drink-wine-while-pregnant-have-better-behaved-kids/

Study: Moms Who Drink Wine While Pregnant Have Better Behaved Kids

Women who drink a moderate amount of wine tend to have the best educations and healthier lifestyles. (Getty Images)

Women who drink a moderate amount of wine tend to have the best educations and healthier lifestyles. (Getty Images)

LONDON (CBS Atlanta) – Women who drank a glass of wine a week while pregnant had children who were more well adjusted than women who didn’t drink at all, says a new study.

Researchers in Denmark looked at the drinking habits of 100,000 Danish moms-to-be between 1996 and 2002, reports the Express.

They asked 37,000 of those women about the behavior of their children, and found the kids were generally more emotionally stable and more well behaved.

Psychologist Janni Nicalsen with the University of Copenhagen explains, “it is a question of taking account of childhood related psychological factors like attachment between mother and child in this type of study.”

Nicalsen warns this is not an invitation to pregnant women to start drinking.

Rather it seems to confirm that choices and habits of the mother have a huge influence over the children.

Women whe drank about a glass a week tend to be better educated and make healthier lifestyle decisions.

The study did only dealt with light drinkers, and did not examine the affects of heavy drinking on a child’s emotional development.

Doctors warn that an excess of alcohol while pregnant can have dangerous consequences for the unborn child.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 2:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
owl0210
by Bronze Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 2:50 PM
4 moms liked this
It's an interesting study and obviously doesn't apply to alcoholics lol. Most Europeans have a drink or two during pregnancy and nobody bats an eye but here in the US women who have a glass of wine during pregnancy are seen as horrible mothers. I had a glass of Merlot a few times and all was fine.
mickstinator
by on Jan. 6, 2014 at 2:55 PM
2 moms liked this

I just highly doubt a direct and sole causation of wine to behavior. I personally have no problem with pregnant women drinking a moderate glass of wine under doctor's care, but I am not going to be quick to throw myself behind the notion that it causes a noticeably improved behavioral change in the children.

Zoiksandaway
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 2:56 PM
1 mom liked this
In my family no one bats an eye at a mother having a glass of wine, a beer or even a cocktail now and again.

None of us are drama queens, none of us suffer from addictive personalities, and all of us are fairly sensiblle and I think that is why our kids are also pretty calm and as sensible as their age group would allow.
Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 2:59 PM
6 moms liked this

I read this.

It's interesting and speaks volumes about the cultural differences between some European countries and American ideals that are puritanically based. It also speaks to differences in attitude in medical care. In America the presiding doctrine seems to be "when in doubt forbid everything."

Europe seems a little more common sense. Could be linked to the prevalence of malpractice suits in America.

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 3:01 PM
Moderation is usually the key.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Friday
by HRH of MJ on Jan. 6, 2014 at 3:08 PM
1 mom liked this

Interesting.

I used to love wine but nowadays can't find one I like. My friend the wine snob has shamed me out of White Zin but whites tend to be too dry and reds too strong. Usually add some 7-Up and make my own wine coolers.

Thank God......it's Friday!!!

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 3:09 PM
5 moms liked this

I've noticed that Americans don't do the concept of moderation very well. We seem to live in a world of extremes. Why drink one drink while pregnant because that COULD equate to FAS? A suggestion of a regulation on the sale of certain guns seems to equate to the govt wants to steal all guns in all cases. No abortion can be allowed ever or all abortion is just used as birth control...

It's odd really but I do think it is sort of a pervasive American thing (as a whole of course)

Quoting coolmommy2x: Moderation is usually the key.

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jan. 6, 2014 at 3:09 PM
10 moms liked this

Well I didn't drink during my pregnancy but I'll toast to drinking heavily during toddlerhood. Everybody is happier.

CHEERS!

Zoiksandaway
by Member on Jan. 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM
1 mom liked this
So funny, isn't it, how media couches a study. A better title might be "Danish mums who had a drink or two in pregnancy say that their kids are well behaved"

To which we would rightfully say, so fucking what?!

And that is what I want to say about this article anyway, "so what".

I do think it is funny how you wrote "a moderate glass of wine under a doctor's care".
I picture a nurse pouring a glass of wine for a pregnant patient in a paper gown, the doctor interuppting the pour saying, "Wait, this must be a MODERATE glass of wine, nurse. Do not fill it any more than that." The nurse then hands the glass to the doctor who administers the glass of wine to the patient's lips saying, "You may feel a slightly more relaxed for a little while. Come back again the day after tomorrow at 4pm for 4 ounces of cold beer."

Quoting mickstinator:

I just highly doubt a direct and sole causation of wine to behavior. I personally have no problem with pregnant women drinking a moderate glass of wine under doctor's care, but I am not going to be quick to throw myself behind the notion that it causes a noticeably improved behavioral change in the children.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 6, 2014 at 3:11 PM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Friday:

Interesting.

I used to love wine but nowadays can't find one I like. My friend the wine snob has shamed me out of White Zin but whites tend to be too dry and reds too strong. Usually add some 7-Up and make my own wine coolers.

Drink what you like- that is the best kind of wine.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)