Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Police Union Posts Video Of Swearing Black Toddler To Explain ‘Thug Cycle’

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:03 AM
  • 27 Replies

Police Union Posts Video Of Swearing Black Toddler To Explain ‘Thug Cycle’

article image

The Omaha Police Officers Association in Nebraska posted a video to their website of a young African-American child using profanity as part of, what they call, “the thug cycle.”

The diapered child is seen in a video caught on a camera phone being antagonized by two adult relatives. They immerse the child in sexual and gang discussions, call him racial slurs and teach him to swear. The police department says the video is local and the adults aren’t breaking any laws, KMTV reported.

"…despite the fact that it is sickening, heartbreaking footage, we have an obligation to share it to continue to educate the law abiding public about the terrible cycle of violence and thuggery that some young innocent children find themselves helplessly trapped in," said the post on their website.

“Now while we didn't see anything in this video that is blatantly 'illegal', we sure did see a lot that is flat out immoral and completely unhealthy for this little child from a healthy upbringing standpoint,” the website says.

The post continues on to say that the public that they are “literally watching ‘the cycle’ of violence continue right in front of your eyes. A powerful cycle that must be broken if we ever hope to get a handle on violence in Omaha. A powerful cycle that the police alone cannot stop.”

Union President John Wells, a sergeant in the Omaha Police Department, told Gawker that the term “thug” is used as a “general term on our Facebook page,” but that it could be substituted by a variety of other terms such as “abnormal, antisocial, criminal.”

Wells compared the video of the toddler to the city’s street violence, saying that “a lot of these children end up dealing with law enforcement. I'm not saying that this kid won't grow up to be a productive member of society."

The post called the video’s creator, who is reportedly the toddler’s uncle, a “local thug,” but Wells said, "I don't know that he's a gangbanger... he mentions 29th Street, which is a local Bloods gang here."

The association is different from the police department, Wells told Gawker, because they have “a lot more latitude to be a little more edgy” and that edginess is needed to force a deeper conversation on the city's crime problems.

Wells says Omaha is ethnically segregated, and many residents brush off crime by saying “it didn't happen in my part of town, that's not a problem.”

by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:03 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:07 AM
3 moms liked this

I've only watched 5 seconds so far. I already know my opinion. These people should be jailed and sterilized. No child should have to endure this.

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:09 AM

That was disgusting. What is wrong with people?

MrsSamMerlotte
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 9:16 AM

Wow.  That is disgusting.

Radarma
by "OneDar" on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:04 AM

Spent a few years here talking about this...again, I will say: the root is in the HOME "life".

And I am pretty sure that is the baby who danced to the stanky leg while rolling a joint while his mother? laughed her ass off.

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:06 AM

Deeply uncomfortable with the police posting this.  What exactly does it accomplish?

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Says it right in the pasted article. They are trying to bring awareness to break the cycle.

"…despite the fact that it is sickening, heartbreaking footage, we have an obligation to share it to continue to educate the law abiding public about the terrible cycle of violence and thuggery that some young innocent children find themselves helplessly trapped in,"

Quoting MsDenuninani:

Deeply uncomfortable with the police posting this.  What exactly does it accomplish?

MsDenuninani
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:21 AM

I suppose.  Honestly, I think it just makes people validate their own feelings that (black) people are somehow fundamentally broken. I don't think this actually helps anything.

Quoting VooDooB:

Says it right in the pasted article. They are trying to bring awareness to break the cycle.

"…despite the fact that it is sickening, heartbreaking footage, we have an obligation to share it to continue to educate the law abiding public about the terrible cycle of violence and thuggery that some young innocent children find themselves helplessly trapped in,"

Quoting MsDenuninani:

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:25 AM
Nah. I know some white people who wouldn't surprise me a bit if they did this is well.

Quoting MsDenuninani:

I suppose.  Honestly, I think it just makes people validate their own feelings that (black) people are somehow fundamentally broken. I don't think this actually helps anything.

Quoting VooDooB:

Quoting MsDenuninani:

A-nony-mous
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:49 AM

I've sadly met people who seem to find it funny or even cute to dress their young kids up like "mini thugs" and the sort of...ghetto/gang style of fashion that goes with it. Usually the father is/was in a gang or leading a criminal lifestyle. They definitely indoctrinate early. 

waldorfmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 11:09 AM
1 mom liked this

Even my own children dismiss the idea that foul language makes a heavy impact on the people who are subjected to hearing it.

This video provides insight for anyone (and there are many!) who likes to pretend that every lifestyle is "equal".

Some lifestyles are actually harmful to those who live it and especially to the children immersed in it. This type of behavior is NOT specific to blacks: low-lifes of any "color" engage in such selfish and self-destructive behavior, harming themselves and their children ...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)