Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

What do you think of this list of Obama's "lies"?

Posted by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:01 AM
  • 145 Replies
1 mom liked this
I was reading an article a little while ago (I'll link it at the bottom of this post) and this list of "lies" was in it. I was wondering if anyone can debunk any of them. Because it seems like a lot.

Vallely listed a sampling of Obama's broken promises and lies, crediting Peter Wehner at Commentary Magazine:
  • His promise not to allow lobbyists to work in his administration. (They have.)
  • His commitment to slash earmarks. (He didn't.)
  • To be the most transparent presidency in history. (He's not.)
  • To put an end to "phony accounting." (It started almost on Day 1 and continues.)
  • And to restore trust in government. (Trust in government is at near-historic lows.)
  • His pledge to seek public financing in the general election. (He didn't.)
  • To treat super-PACS as a "threat to democracy." (He embraced them.)
  • His pledge to keep unemployment from rising above 8 percent. (It remained above 8 percent for the longest stretch since the Great Depression.)
  • To create five million new energy jobs alone. (The total number of jobs created in Obama's first term was roughly one-tenth that figure.)
  • To identify all those "shovel-ready' jobs. (Mr. Obama later chuckled that his much-hyped "shovel-ready projects" were "not as shovel-ready as we expected.")
  • To lift two million Americans from poverty. (A record 46 million Americans are living in poverty during the Obama era.)
  • His promise to bring down health care premiums by $2,500 for the typical family (they went up) ... allow Americans to keep the health care coverage they currently have (many can't) ... refuse to fund abortion via the Affordable Care Act (it did) ... to respect religious liberties (he has violated them) ... and the insistent that a mandate to buy insurance, enforced by financial penalties, was not a tax (it is).
  • Obama's pledge to stop the rise of oceans. (It hasn't.)
  • To "remake the world" and to "heal the planet." (Hardly.)
  • To usher in a "new beginning" based on "mutual respect" with the Arab and Islamic world and "help answer the call for a new dawn in the Middle East." (Come again?)
  • To punish Syria if it crossed the "red line" of using chemical weapons. (The "red line" was crossed earlier this year - and nothing of consequence happened.)
  • That as president "I don't bluff." (See the previous sentence on Syria.)
  • And of course the much-ballyhooed Russian reset. (Tensions between Russia and the United States are increasing and examples of Russia undermining U.S. interests are multiplying.)
  • And let's not forget Mr. Obama's promise to bring us together. (He is the most polarizing president in the history of the Gallup polling.)
  • Or his assurance to us that he would put an end to the type of politics that "breeds division and conflict and cynicism." (All three have increased during the Obama presidency.)
  • And his counsel to us to "resist the temptation to fall back on the same partisanship and pettiness and immaturity that has poisoned our politics for so long." (Remind me again whose campaign allies accused Mitt Romney of being responsible for the cancer death of a steelworker's wife.)

by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 10:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:14 PM
4 moms liked this

I'm bumping this.

And is anyone watching the news right now? Obama just stated that he doesn't know a single person who would rather do nothing and receive an enemployement check than the satisfaction of having a job. Really? Hmmmm. Pretty sure there are millions of people sitting around on their asses happily getting a check every month Sir.

mickstinator
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:16 PM
5 moms liked this

I mean, most of these weren't realistic from the get-go and they sound like the promises and intent of nearly every president in history. Not that I'm super keen on it, but it's kind of the way of politics...

I voted for him, but I have very mixed feelings about him. I think he gets blamed for a hell of a lot that was totally and utterly out of his hands and I think he has done a poor job of managing a remarkably unruly Congress. The economic environment was, to a certain degree, totally out of his control. And he's bent to the demands of the right a few times that did himself no favors. 

I would say he's been a great president in a couple of ways and a mediocre one in most other ways. I don't think he's been bad. I think people have been striving to blame him and bring him down for the failures of plenty of others. 

It's funny - we give our president such limited powers, but we treat him like he should have the power of a dictator. He simply cannot control all that we say he should.

VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:19 PM

Which ones aren't realistic? Or which ones are and should have been done?

Quoting mickstinator:

I mean, most of these weren't realistic from the get-go and they sound like the promises and intent of nearly every president in history. Not that I'm super keen on it, but it's kind of the way of politics...

mickstinator
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:21 PM

Oh, I just edited my reply. Sorry you caught the first draft!

Quoting VooDooB:

Which ones aren't realistic? Or which ones are and should have been done?

Quoting mickstinator:

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:24 PM
3 moms liked this
What do I think of his lies? The same I think of ALL liars. I'm never shocked, amazed or even upset when I find someone has lied. It's human nature.....all men are liars, women included. Did I expect him to be above reproach because he's the president? No. I mean seriously, he's a hard core liberal, with a very small moral compass, devoid of empathy for anyone other this his own kind. I'm not moved.
Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:32 PM
1 mom liked this
I didn't read the whole list so this is my "lazy" answer. He made campaign promises to get elected...much like every other president. Some were out of his control to begin with and should have never been promised. Some became out of his control with opposition in congress. Some became impossible to accomplish due to changes in circumstances. Some he probably realized were unattainable only after becoming prez and getting the full picture of how the office works. So, all in all, he's lied and under delivered on promises. As another poster said, this is the state of politics today. Sad but not surprising.
jcrew6
by Silver Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:50 PM
4 moms liked this

And every President needs to be held accountable to the words they spew. If we accept it as "the way of politics", it only hurts our nation. 

I don't think he has been a great president.  Perhaps the most devisive, partisan President we have had in decades. 

His stimulus package (that he campaigned for and owned) was not the best solution for America. Pork spending, failed Green initiatives.  Cash for clunkers... Failed.

Speaking out AGAINST drones, executive orders, lobbyists,raising debt limits,  etc during previous admin~ but then using it for political gain when it suits his agenda.  

Obamacare~ Affordable Care Act: He campaigned for this poorly written 10,000 pages of paybacks as what the US needs.  And he has put cronies and bundlers in charge of managing and implementing.  NOT in the interest of Americans.  But rather, his political gain. 

He claims the economy is Great. But we need to extend unemployment benefits?  If we don't, it's Republicans fault.  Bull shit. He and his admin are full of it.

He, Holder, etc weighing in on national news stories before the facts and crying racism(Boston Cop, Trayvon). Setting a precendence of cherry picking what is important in this nation and what isn't (Australian shot in back by teens, etc)....  FAIL. 

He has NOT been a good leader and our nation is no better because of his "leadership". 

Quoting mickstinator:

I voted for him, but I have very mixed feelings about him. I think he gets blamed for a hell of a lot that was totally and utterly out of his hands and I think he has done a poor job of managing a remarkably unruly Congress. The economic environment was, to a certain degree, totally out of his control. And he's bent to the demands of the right a few times that did himself no favors. 

I would say he's been a great president in a couple of ways and a mediocre one in most other ways. I don't think he's been bad. I think people have been striving to blame him and bring him down for the failures of plenty of others. 

It's funny - we give our president such limited powers, but we treat him like he should have the power of a dictator. He simply cannot control all that we say he should.

waldorfmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:52 PM

Thank you. It's not complete, but it will do for a start.

my.sonshine
by Member on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:53 PM
3 moms liked this
It's not the lies that bother me. It's the cover ups.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
mickstinator
by on Jan. 7, 2014 at 12:57 PM
1 mom liked this

Alright, well, this is my short answer to you: 

Part of your opinion is circumstantial, part of it is totally subjective, and part of it is right. 

I reject the extremity of your opinion entirely. I just don't think it's even possible to say that without the perspective of a post-Obama America. Historians assert that a generation that lived through a presidency cannot judge adequately critique the president and I agree. Perspective is key.

Quoting jcrew6:

And every President needs to be held accountable to the words they spew. If we accept it as "the way of politics", it only hurts our nation. 

I don't think he has been a great president.  Perhaps the most devisive, partisan President we have had in decades. 

His stimulus package (that he campaigned for and owned) was not the best solution for America. Pork spending, failed Green initiatives.  Cash for clunkers... Failed.

Speaking out AGAINST drones, executive orders, lobbyists,raising debt limits,  etc during previous admin~ but then using it for political gain when it suits his agenda.  

Obamacare~ Affordable Care Act: He campaigned for this poorly written 10,000 pages of paybacks as what the US needs.  And he has put cronies and bundlers in charge of managing and implementing.  NOT in the interest of Americans.  But rather, his political gain. 

He claims the economy is Great. But we need to extend unemployment benefits?  If we don't, it's Republicans fault.  Bull shit. He and his admin are full of it.

He, Holder, etc weighing in on national news stories before the facts and crying racism(Boston Cop, Trayvon). Setting a precendence of cherry picking what is important in this nation and what isn't (Australian shot in back by teens, etc)....  FAIL. 

He has NOT been a good leader and our nation is no better because of his "leadership". 

Quoting mickstinator:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured