Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

WHO Has Abortions? *Edited* Thoughts?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:58 PM
  • 154 Replies
1 mom liked this

While arguing about abortions statistics, someone linked me to the following article which had some interesting information that is often debated on here....

Considering it was sent to me from someone arguing to make abortion illegal, I think we can accept the stats below as bi-partisan in the argument.

While you can debate lots of things about abortion, let's try to contain this thread to the misconceptions of WHO gets the majority of abortions

So here is a list of WHO gets abortions...and you might find some of these statistics interesting. 

Here are a few highlights we can discuss: 

• 82% are legal adult women with only 18% in thier teens (under 18).

• Of teens who have abortions, only 0.4% are under age 15

• The majority of women who have abortions already have existing children 

• Most women who have abortions are ABOVE the poverty level

• 65% are Christian.......28% Catholic, 37% Protestant...

• 3/4ths list ability to responsibly care for other individuals as their reason (such as ability to work and caring for existing dependants)

WHO HAS ABORTIONS?

• Eighteen percent of U.S. women obtaining abortions are teenagers; those aged 15–17 obtain 6% of all abortions, teens aged 18–19 obtain 11%, and teens younger than age 15 obtain 0.4%.[6]

• Women in their 20s account for more than half of all abortions; women aged 20–24 obtain 33% of all abortions, and women aged 25–29 obtain 24%.[6]

• Non-Hispanic white women account for 36% of abortions, non-Hispanic black women for 30%, Hispanic women for 25% and women of other races for 9%.[6]

• Thirty-seven percent of women obtaining abortions identify as Protestant and 28% as Catholic.[6]

• Women who have never married and are not cohabiting account for 45% of all abortions [6]

• About 61% of abortions are obtained by women who have one or more children. [6]

• Forty-two percent of women obtaining abortions have incomes below 100% of the federal poverty level ($10,830 for a single woman with no children).[6]

• Twenty-seven percent of women obtaining abortions have incomes between 100–199% of the federal poverty level.* [6]

• The reasons women give for having an abortion underscore their understanding of the responsibilities of parenthood and family life. Three-fourths of women cite concern for or responsibility to other individuals; three-fourths say they cannot afford a child; three-fourths say that having a baby would interfere with work, school or the ability to care for dependents; and half say they do not want to be a single parent or are having problems with their husband or partner.[7]

link whole article

When women have abortions*Eighty-eight percent of abortions occur in the first 12 weeks of pregnancy, 2006.When women have abortions

Thought this chart above was interesting too.....

Thoughts?

National Woman's Party

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 12:58 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:09 PM
1 mom liked this

I was not surprised at all....How about you?

National Woman's Party

mickstinator
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:13 PM
4 moms liked this

I think the most telling is that more than half already have a child in their care. There is a lot to be said about that. 

mickstinator
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:14 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting LAHnTAH0812: "65% are Christian.......28% Catholic, 37% Protestant..."

That's 130%...
Where do you get this garbage?

That is the breakdown of the 65%. 28 + 37 = 65.

momtoscott
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:18 PM

Not a surprise.  

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:33 PM

You caught that before it was deleted....But I am in no position to blame anyone for bad math. :)

I am guessing that was the issue and not that she doesn't consider Catholics and/or Protestants Christians.

Quoting mickstinator:

That's 130%...

National Woman's Party

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Absolutely true.

I have often asked the question of those championing adoption or foster care over abortion how they would effectively reassure their existing children that their mother isn't going to give them away like this child.....but no one has ever answered me.

Quoting mickstinator:

I think the most telling is that more than half already have a child in their care. There is a lot to be said about that. 

National Woman's Party

GLWerth
by Gina on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:34 PM

Not a surprise. I was aware of these statistics generally, if not specific current numbers.

Sekirei
by Sevrsaxhtharxxa on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Not surprised honestly
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:44 PM

Maybe these women are more realistic than some....as far as how much of yourself has to go into raising a child, and they just know they can't do it a second time. My husband and I have said to his daughter, who has our awesome grandson....if she ever gets pregnant again, we will pay for an abortion. She's a total nitwit.

Quoting NWP:

Absolutely true.

I have often asked the question of those championing adoption or foster care over abortion how they would effectively reassure their existing children that their mother isn't going to give them away like this child.....but no one has ever answered me.

Quoting mickstinator:

mickstinator
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 2:04 PM

Ah, I see. I wasn't trying to be rude, just helpful! 

Quoting NWP:

You caught that before it was deleted....But I am in no position to blame anyone for bad math. :)

I am guessing that was the issue and not that she doesn't consider Catholics and/or Protestants Christians.

Quoting mickstinator:

That's 130%...

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)