Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Utah Governor announces that the state will not recognize 1300+ same sex marriages

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:34 PM
  • 16 Replies

Utah's governor says the Constitution does not apply to these two men

Utah’s governor says the Constitution does not apply to these two men

CREDIT: AP

Utah Gov. Gary Herbert’s (R) office announced Wednesday that his state will not recognize the over 1,300 same sex marriages performed between when a federal trial judge held that the Constitution requires marriage equality and when the Supreme Court stayed that decision on Monday. The governor’s announcement applies so long as the Supreme Court’s stay is in effect.

Though a disappointing announcement for the hundreds of couples who briefly enjoyed the full blessings of liberty in Utah, this is not a particularly surprising one. Utah’s constitution provides that “[m]arriage consists only of the legal union between a man and a woman,” and the legal basis for ignoring this discriminatory provision and allowing the over 1,300 couples to marry was a court order that has now ceased to function for as long as the stay is in effect.

While it is certainly true that the Constitution of the United States — with its requirement that gay couples be afforded the “equal protection of the laws” — trumps the Utah constitution, Utah has made it perfectly clear that they plan to fight offering equal rights to gay couples until the bitter end.

http://thinkprogress.org/justice/2014/01/08/3135831/breaking-utah-governor-says-stay-recognize-1300-sex-marriages-performed-state/

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:34 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sekirei
by Sevrsaxhtharxxa on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:35 PM
1 mom liked this
How rude.
..MoonShine..
by Redwood Witch on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:36 PM

Haha! Yeah sorry about all that. Hit enter by mistake. 

Quoting Sekirei: ?

Sekirei
by Sevrsaxhtharxxa on Jan. 8, 2014 at 1:37 PM
No worries :-)

Still, that is a shitty thing for the govenor to do

Quoting ..MoonShine..:

Haha! Yeah sorry about all that. Hit enter by mistake. 

Quoting Sekirei: ?

shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:27 PM

Sure, this will work.   Another dope.

On the other hand, it is funny - this continued insistence on taking extreme issues on social issues works so well for Republicans in general elections.

mickstinator
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:29 PM

I hope this will turn around fast because it's definitely not over.

I feel for all these people getting flipped and flopped. Their emotions must be haywire right now! : (

katzmeow726
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:31 PM
Yay petulant behavior. It kind of reminds me of my son. When I tell him he has to pick up his room, he walks out and says "I don't have a room." Sorry kid, you can "not recognize" your room all you want, you still have to clean it lol.
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Like many religionists, they will need to be dragged kicking and screaming into modernity, when it comes to the law and complying with the law.

But inwardly they will still cling to their superstition based ignorance and hate. In Jesus' name, of course.

jjchick75
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:38 PM
That sucks!
lga1965
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:42 PM
Yah and Joseph Smith's too.
Remember the LDS church spent millions and millions in CA trying to defeat SS marriage . It didn't work. It might in Utah ,seeing as how they practically own the state and its population.

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Like many religionists, they will need to be dragged kicking and screaming into modernity, when it comes to the law and complying with the law.

But inwardly they will still cling to their superstition based ignorance and hate. In Jesus' name, of course.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 3:46 PM

I'm sure there are some people practically peeing in their pants in happiness.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)