Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Hollywood touches on "Reverse-Racisim?

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:11 PM
  • 141 Replies
2 moms liked this
I received a few free tickets to Tyler Perry's latest movie "Madea's Christmas". Now, I'm not a fan of Madea movies as a rule, but the tickets were free, and I wasn't doing anything else for the next two hours. I invited my neighbor, she loves Madea, and a couple of other friends who were looking for any reason to get out of the house. I was surprised my this films over all common denominator We got a reversal of the usual race-based scenario of white people mistaking black people for the "help". We got a prejudice black mother who almost has a heart attack when she finds her daughter elopes with a white man. And we got the rather unusual sight of white people lecturing black people about how we’re all the same inside. You know, that whole..."we all bleed red" line? Madea makes a comment after Larry the Cable guy tells an off color joke, about how we are all too politically correct nowadays and need to lighten up. Has anyone else seen this movie? Did you notice the common thread too?
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:11 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:21 PM
tyler perry movies all have the same story...now that being said. i love them but not because i think they have some great social commentary, they are just funny
KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:23 PM
Tyler Perry's movies are all the same? They all have a Reverse-Racisim theme?
Quoting motha2daDuchess: tyler perry movies all have the same story...now that being said. i love them but not because i think they have some great social commentary, they are just funny
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:25 PM
they are all the same story line...

Quoting KamWorthy: Tyler Perry's movies are all the same? They all have a Reverse-Racisim theme?

Quoting motha2daDuchess: tyler perry movies all have the same story...now that being said. i love them but not because i think they have some great social commentary, they are just funny
momtimesx4
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:43 PM

yep...needs new scripts

Quoting motha2daDuchess: they are all the same story line...

Quoting KamWorthy: Tyler Perry's movies are all the same? They all have a Reverse-Racisim theme?

Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 9:47 PM
18 moms liked this

the term 'reverse racism' is so ridiculous.  racism is racism.  
as for the movies..havent seen any of them. 

AdrianneHill
by Ruby Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:05 PM
2 moms liked this
his more recent movies have included more white people and he does usually include some type of "we should be nicer to each other" in all of his movies. They're usually not the same people but same lessons.

Anyone see the Boondocks episode where they skewer his formula and his possible depth in the closet?. I think it was along the lines of misguided but nice and beautiful black woman is treated horribly by dark sinned black man and loses sight of her self and her roots before hitting rock bottom. With the help of god, some salt of the earth friends, and a light skinned beautiful black man, the main character finds her way to love and happiness while Madea does silly things in the background.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:07 PM

Not really a fan of Madea movies....however her character cracks me up, the other storyline characters annoy me.

Ive seen the shorts to the movie...looks funny, I am a semi-fan of larry the cable guy.

did I notice the racial lines and perceptions....who doesnt from a madea movie LOL.

I really like Tyler in serious roles.

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:08 PM
I had no idea all his story lines were about Reverse-Racisim. I havent seen more than two, I think.
Quoting motha2daDuchess: they are all the same story line...

KamWorthy
by Silver Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:10 PM
So most of his movies are racial? But put into comedy?
Quoting turtle68:

Not really a fan of Madea movies....however her character cracks me up, the other storyline characters annoy me.

Ive seen the shorts to the movie...looks funny, I am a semi-fan of larry the cable guy.

did I notice the racial lines and perceptions....who doesnt from a madea movie LOL.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:13 PM
1 mom liked this

The ones Ive seen have been....only seen a couple.  But from what Ive read on here about them...Im gonna go with they have the same theme.

That and love and life lessons, from the viewpoint of Madea ....gotta have them :-)

Quoting KamWorthy: So most of his movies are racial? But put into comedy?
Quoting turtle68:

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)