Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

U.S. Dept. Of Education Says Tells School Officials to Loosen Up on Zero Tolerance

Posted by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:10 PM
  • 7 Replies

When I threw a snowball at one of the Crosby twins in the sixth grade (I'm still unsure if it was Joyce or Judy), the playground monitor sent me to the principal's office, where Esther Updike asked me what happened.

"I hit one of the Crosbys with a snowball," I said, beside myself with trepidation. 

"Well, do it again," was about all Mrs. Updike said. I wasn't suspended or sent to a juvenile detention center.

Now U.S. Department of Education has put schools on notice concerning "zero tolerance" policies deemed overly punitive for minorities. Policies that parents have been screaming are unfair and way out of line with common sense for  non-violent offenses.

Many parents are saying it's about time. And I agree.

But teachers groups are asking who's going to pay for the training suggested by the new guidelines. I think what they're really asking is, who's going to train teachers and administrators in using common sense?

Ease Up On 'No Tolerance' Policies, U.S. Agencies Tell Schools

Saying that "zero tolerance" discipline policies at U.S. schools are unfairly applied "all too often," Secretary of Education Arne Duncan is urging officials to rethink that approach. The Obama administration issued voluntary guidelines today that call for more training for teachers, and more clarity in defining security problems.

The move by the Education and Justice Departments comes after years of complaints from civil rights groups and others who say the policies are ineffective and take an unfair toll on minorities. The zero-tolerance approach has been blamed for boosting the number of suspensions and expulsions, and for equating minor infractions with criminal acts.

"A routine school disciplinary infraction should land a student in the principal's office, not in a police precinct," Attorney General Eric Holder said. 

Here's the link to the NPR story: 

http://www.npr.org/blogs/thetwo-way/2014/01/08/260904329/ease-up-on-no-tolerance-policies-u-s-agencies-tell-schools

by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:10 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-7):
TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:15 PM
I don't think minorities are the only ones being affected by zero tolerance policies. It's pretty sad that we are going to have to use more gov funds for something that should be common sense.
turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:18 PM
1 mom liked this

hmmmm Im on the fence.  On one hand....discipline has been lost in schools and zero tolerance can pull back some respect for teachers.  A culling of poorly behaved students.

On the other hand....to give students a police record or no access to an education (via expulsion) could possibly if not probably rise criminal activity.

common sense can be used in a warning situation....zero tolerance being the end result of consistent bad behaviour.

JMO

MentorMom1
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:22 PM

I agree. I would bet citing discrimination against minorities was the only way to get rid of this albatross. No doubt the parents pressuring their legislators to stop the insanity come in all colors. It's true, however, about the racial profiling. And this is an atrocity: "nearly a third (31 percent) of black boys in middle school were suspended at least once during the 2009–10 school year." 

Quoting TruthSeeker.: I don't think minorities are the only ones being affected by zero tolerance policies. It's pretty sad that we are going to have to use more gov funds for something that should be common sense.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:28 PM
I dont think the suggestion was that it only effects minorities, just that it effects them disproportionately. I dont understand why it would cost money to stop suspending kids...wtf?

Quoting TruthSeeker.: I don't think minorities are the only ones being affected by zero tolerance policies. It's pretty sad that we are going to have to use more gov funds for something that should be common sense.
MentorMom1
by on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:33 PM

That's pretty ridiculous, isn't it?

At least little kids won't be getting in trouble any more for biting a pop-tart into a gun shape. Things had gotten out of hand. 

Quoting UpSheRises: I dont think the suggestion was that it only effects minorities, just that it effects them disproportionately. I dont understand why it would cost money to stop suspending kids...wtf?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:34 PM
The article suggests more training for teachers. That means more money to train teachers on what should be common sense. That is ridiculous.

Quoting UpSheRises: I dont think the suggestion was that it only effects minorities, just that it effects them disproportionately. I dont understand why it would cost money to stop suspending kids...wtf?

TruthSeeker.
by Milami on Jan. 8, 2014 at 10:35 PM
Things have absolutely gotten out of hand.

Quoting MentorMom1:

That's pretty ridiculous, isn't it?

At least little kids won't be getting in trouble any more for biting a pop-tart into a gun shape. Things had gotten out of hand. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)