Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Jahi McMath... Had a Feeding Tube Inserted. ETA hospital papers - stating the body's condition.

Posted by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:08 AM
  • 432 Replies

Poll

Question: Should they continue to take extreme measure's for a brain dead person?

Options:

NO- She's dead - enough is enough. Stop Frankenstein-ing that corpse.

Yes - They should do everything possible..

I'm glad she's not my child, so I don't have to decide.

I'm torn on this issue.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 254

View Results

Not sure if anyone posted this update

OAKLAND -- Just two days after the attorney for the family of Jahi McMath said the 13-year-old girl may not "make it" because her body had deteriorated so badly, doctors have inserted a feeding tube and tracheotomy tubes, and her health is "improving," the lawyer said.

Family attorney Christopher Dolan called the procedure "a success."

"She is doing very well and getting the treatment she should have gotten 28 days ago," Dolan said in a text message. "Doctors are optimistic that her condition has stabilized and that her health is improving from when she was taken from Children's Hospital Oakland."

Jahi was declared brain dead Dec. 12, after she suffered cardiac arrest while she recovered from a Dec. 9 surgery to remove her tonsils and clear tissue from her nose and throat. Her family battled with hospital officials for several weeks, seeking to keep the girl on a ventilator and to have breathing and feeding tubes surgically inserted.

Doctors have said that a brain-dead patient who is not receiving nutrition may experience total organ failure within two to four weeks.

Still, the update Wednesday afternoon left more questions than answers.

The family refuses to say where the girl was taken or who performed the surgery to implant the tubes. She was moved from Children's Hospital around 8 p.m. Sunday and taken to an undisclosed facility, where she was checked in Monday morning.

An Alameda County Coroner's Office spokesman said Monday that he believed the girl had been taken out of state, but he did not know more. The coroner's office had issued a death certificate for the girl, citing Dec. 12 as the date of her death, but still must perform an autopsy to determine the cause of her death.

A Medford, N.Y., facility with ties to the Terri Schiavo Life & Hope Network had previously said it would accept her for long-term care, but it was not known Wednesday if she was there. Founder Allyson Scerri did not return a call for comment Wednesday.

The Oakland girl has been on a ventilator and receiving intravenous hydration since she was declared brain dead but was not receiving nutrition. Her family has held firmly to the hope that she would wake up -- through divine intervention or a medical miracle.

In a declaration filed in court Friday, Heidi R. Flori, a critical care pediatrician at Children's Hospital Oakland said inserting a feeding tube would cause more harm to her already deteriorating body. What's more, multiple medical experts have said no medical tools or procedures can bring Jahi back to life.

On Monday, after Jahi had been removed from Children's Hospital but before she received the feeding tube, Dolan said, "Right now ... we don't know if she's going to make it." Jahi's body had "deteriorated so badly" that her heart may not continue beating, Dolan said.

What's your opinion on this latest development, and what has happened in general?

EDITED TO ADD HOSPITAL REPORTS OF THE BODIES DETERIORATION

by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:08 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Mocha.Maya.Me
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:09 AM
12 moms liked this

I personally think this is horrific. . .

That corpse should be buried. Soon they will have no choice. Even the machines that are forcing false breath into her lungs and a pump that forces stale rotted blood through her organs will not be able to stop the inevitable death and rot that is slowly occurring to her body.

Now that her brain is dead and unable to sustain life, her body can not continue to make new blood cells as required to maintain a healthy sustainable blood supply, much less clean the rotted blood to oxygenate her other organs, cells, and lungs properly, it's simply a matter of time.

SMH ~ How very Frankenstein-ish it is, to try to keep her corpse alive. :::Shivers:::

It's way past time to let go of that body, and start grieving the dead.

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:38 AM
13 moms liked this

I wanna know what quacks are saying that a dead person's health is improving because they are now giving the dead body nutrients?

SMH

Mocha.Maya.Me
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 6:57 AM
2 moms liked this

Right and lets say her body does what it's supposed to with those nutrients, what then? Forced evacuation of her bowels and dialysis?

I wonder what's next?  Cryogenics in hopes of a possible short term brain transplant?   I wouldn't be surprised!   ( OK that's a stretch but seriously )This case keeps getting more bizarre by the day.   I think something bigger is at play here. Why else would other doctors be willing to do all this to someone whose brain is basically mush?  Is it a political move?

Quoting romalove:

I wanna know what quacks are saying that a dead person's health is improving because they are now giving the dead body nutrients?

SMH

masonmomma
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:01 AM
2 moms liked this
Their lawyer is shady.
.Bubbles.
by Silver Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:08 AM
2 moms liked this
I don't know who is worse the lawyers or whatever medical group they found to do this. Any reputable doctor would have let her go.
Mocha.Maya.Me
by on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:16 AM

Right!   Doctors do not do such as this in BRAIN DEATHS.  So what else is at play here?  What's the bigger picture, that they are trying to paint with all this?

Quoting .Bubbles.: I don't know who is worse the lawyers or whatever medical group they found to do this. Any reputable doctor would have let her go.

diospira
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:22 AM
5 moms liked this

This case has been a real education for me.

After reading the Oakland pediatrician's description of the changes occurring to Jahi's body, I just can't imagine what doctor or facility would do this.

Jahi's bodily vessel needs to be allowed to rest in peace. What is being done to her now qualifies as desecration of a corpse.

MomTiara19
by Bronze Member on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:23 AM
3 moms liked this

As a parent I cant imagine the pain this family is going through.

Yet I would need to know more about the state of the childs body.If her boy is deteriorating then she is dead.If these measures of hospitalization are helping her bodily functions than it is worth trying to revive her.

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting Mocha.Maya.Me:

Right and lets say her body does what it's supposed to with those nutrients, what then? Forced evacuation of her bowels and dialysis?

I wonder what's next?  Cryogenics in hopes of a possible short term brain transplant?   I wouldn't be surprised!   ( OK that's a stretch but seriously )This case keeps getting more bizarre by the day.   I think something bigger is at play here. Why else would other doctors be willing to do all this to someone whose brain is basically mush?  Is it a political move?

Quoting romalove:

SMH

There's got to be money somewhere.

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 9, 2014 at 7:35 AM
11 moms liked this

Quoting MomTiara19:

As a parent I cant imagine the pain this family is going through.

Yet I would need to know more about the state of the childs body.If her boy is deteriorating then she is dead.If these measures of hospitalization are helping her bodily functions than it is worth trying to revive her.

She is brain dead.

Brain dead is dead.

There is no "reviving" a brain dead person.

I think many people are confused about this, because she has been ventilated and they have air moving in and out and heart continuing to beat (but not directed from her brain but from machines).  There is no brain activity, none.  No neurons are firing, brain stem is not alive, the brain cannot instruct anything in the body to do anything as it does in a live person.

That's why intubating and giving nutrients and ventilating and doing what they are doing is so wrong, so obscene, so cruel.  Just as you are hoping for something that cannot happen, so are her parents.

And as long as there is someone with something to gain (money, fame, advertising, whatever) they are using this case and this dead girl at the expense of her family. 

It is beyond disgusting and disgraceful.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured