Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Keeping kids safe...

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 1:59 AM
  • 15 Replies
How do you keep kids safe on their devices? My boys got a wifi device this Christmas and I was wondering how to keep them safe. They play Clash of the Clans and it has Global chat. How do you monitor chatting within a game?

Thanks!
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 1:59 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sat.Wed
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 2:06 AM

Parental Controls and timelimits

DestinyHLewis
by Destiny on Jan. 12, 2014 at 4:07 AM
1 mom liked this

My girls all got iPads for Chrstmas and my oldest also has an iPhone I for her this summer. Each of them have my Apple ID and are password protected for everything. I disabled safari and a few other things like FB. My oldest daughters texts go to my iPhone and iPad in real time and her contact list is limited to family and her BFF 's parents only. They cannot download anything without me putting in a password and I disabled the function that would allow them to participate in a game with others. I also limit their time on them. 

Della529
by Matlock on Jan. 12, 2014 at 7:05 AM

With the internet it seems hard to keep them "safe".

Debmomto2girls
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 7:45 AM

Talking to them. 

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:09 AM

It depends on the device. Sometimes they have settings you can change to disable those abilities.

Also, DS isn't allowed to use anything in private and he's been told he's not allowed to communicate with anyone in anyway because there are lots of weirdos on the Internet.His time is also limited to 1/2 hour during the week and 2 hours on the weekend (each day).

You can google "web safety quiz for kids". There are a bunch of programs and stuff you can go through with a quiz at the end.

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:12 AM

Start with talking bluntly about it. Explain the dangers and teach what kinds of behaviors to watch out for from others!

mcginnisc
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:17 AM

My oldest has a Nook Tablet, but she is not allowed online...easy fix as DH put a ton of restrictions on it when he was loading books/apps and charging it before Christmas. She is under 13, so everything is linked to his account and he can see everything she does anyway as Barnes and Noble requires children to be 13 in order to be independent on their device.

Claire

" I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me." Philippians 4:13 

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:32 AM

https://www.isc2cares.org/safe-and-secure/ 

Check with your local school system to see if they can get this program into your schools.

vermontmoms
by Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:32 AM
We have had very blunt conversations. I also go through their iPads daily at random times. They only use them when I am near so I know what is going on.

My main concern is with this game clash of the clans b/c it has global chat that is done through the game interface not their iMessage system. I can't track what they are saying so I have told them they can only play it while I am next to them. They love the game but we may remove it.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Start with talking bluntly about it. Explain the dangers and teach what kinds of behaviors to watch out for from others!

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:51 AM

You sound like you're being very aggressive in monitoring this, but I haven't see how old your children are. You are putting the responsibility on yourself instead of working with your kids to teach them to identify the dangers.  Both are just as important, otherwise as soon as they're on there away from your watchful eyes, they won't understand and recognized when someone is being innapropriate. Teach them what to look for and most importantly help them understand that its not their fault if it happens and that they can/should bring the device to you immediately when it happens. Threatening to remove the game is only going to teach them to be sneaky and to hide anything questionable from you...from fear of losing the game.

Quoting vermontmoms: We have had very blunt conversations. I also go through their iPads daily at random times. They only use them when I am near so I know what is going on.

My main concern is with this game clash of the clans b/c it has global chat that is done through the game interface not their iMessage system. I can't track what they are saying so I have told them they can only play it while I am next to them. They love the game but we may remove it.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)