Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

SO: (more fluff) What is your favorite book genre?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:35 AM
  • 54 Replies

My ultimate favorite is Historical Fiction. Especially anything to do with Royality.  I've read everything written by Phillipa Gregory. Starz picked up her White Queen Series (about The War of The Roses) last year and it was fantastic.

Anya Seton is another favorite historical fiction writer of mine. Her book Katherine is a favorite. I've read it a few times. I've read all her books.
Kathleen Windsor is another fav in the same genre. I've also read all her books too but my favorite is Forever Amber.

I really like fantasy too. It my 20's I was obsessed with anything Arthurian Legend and read anything I could get my hands on. One of my all time favorite books is The Mists of Avalon by Marion Zimmer Bradley. ATTN: PAGANBABY if you haven't read this book already I can really see you enjoying it.

I never really got into anything vampires so those Twilight books never interested me. Also I tried to read the Anne Rice Interview with Vampire books but they never held my attention. Nothing Anne Rice did EXCEPT for The Witching Hour. That book is awesome! It's about a family of witches that goes all the way back to the 1500's to current times. It's such a fun read. I read it so many times the back half of the book fell apart and I had to buy another copy. This was pre-kindle.

Please share your preferred genres and your favorite authors/books. Maybe we can pick up some more great reading recommendations.

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Piskie
by Bronze Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 8:54 AM
1 mom liked this
Space opera. Big storylines, huge alien civilisations, etc etc.

Favourite authors are L. E. Modessit Jr, and Peter F. Hamilton.
AtiFreeFalls
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Fantasy is my favorite.  Patrick Rothfuss is my favorite author, not just because his books are fantastic, but also because he is a fantastic human being.  He runs an amazing charity and speaks out on feminist issues.  I also love Jacqueline Carey (BE WARY: if you are a super uptight reader I don't think these books are for you, lots of sado-masichism or however you spell that), Elizabeth Haydon, Brent Weeks, Robert Jordan, Jim Butcher and Sara Douglass.

I am with you, though... vampires have just never been my thing in books.  I watch True Blood, but that's about as far as it goes for me. 

momtoscott
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:01 AM

Mysteries.  From Golden Age to contemporary.  A favorite right now is Spencer Quinn's Chet and Bernie series.   

Climbing Mount Everest and other real-life adventure stories.  Into Thin Air still one of the best.  

Books about corporate and government chicanery.  

Scifi/fantasy.  Tolkien was a favorite when I was a kid.  Gaiman, Pratchett, McDevitt, Bujold, Moon, Briggs, etc.  

Biographies and memoirs.  

Histories.  

Humor.  Parker, Thurber, Sedaris, Frazier, Bryson, etc.  

Books in the American and English literary canon from about 1700-1950s, think Dickens, Austen, Fitzgerald, Swift, etc.  

Chick lit by Helen Fielding, Candace Bushnell, and Sophie Kinsella.  

Aslen
by Silver Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Mysteries. I love the Stephanie Plum series by Janet Evanovich.

Donna6503
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:10 AM
Biographies, I have more books relating to this genre than any other topic.

As for fictions, I'm a big fan of silly, lighthearted romance books. Especially, if they have a lot of sex in 'em. (Guilty pleasure)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 12, 2014 at 9:16 AM

I like suspenseful thrillers.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM

11-14 years old....I was a Mills and Boons fanatic

15-20 years old....I was an avid horror reader HP lovecraft was my all time fav

20-30 years old ...shifted to supernatural Dean R Koontz

Now I just read whatever, whenever.

jllcali
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:46 AM
Thrillers
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:49 AM

Romance and thrillers

mickstinator
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 10:50 AM
Historical fiction is great. My husband is about to attain a history degree with aspirations for much more education in the field, so we're big into anything history in our house. Historical nonfiction can be incredibly interesting to me if I find the right author. It can also be mind numbingly boring. Haha.

I also like science fiction, thrillers, classics, etc. Just not romantic shit. I roll my eyes so far back I get a headache.

Right now I'm on the third game of thrones book. It's taking forever to get through these!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN