Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teacher suspended after video of a student disrupts class and tells her to EDUCATE them! was he wrong?

Posted by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 3:29 PM
  • 31 Replies
1 mom liked this

Just get up and teach ‘em instead of handing them a frickin packet, yo’: Student rant against teacher goes viral

A video of Texas teenager Jeff Bliss admonishing his teacher for what he feels to be her ineffective teaching style has gone viral online, leading to the teacher being placed on leave with pay and a fierce debate over whether the kid may actually have a point.
YouTubeA video of Texas teenager Jeff Bliss admonishing his teacher for what he feels to be her ineffective teaching style has gone viral online, leading to the teacher being placed on leave with pay and a fierce debate over whether the kid may actually have a point.
  •  

Texas student Jeff Bliss' rant against teacher goes viral on Youtube

Transcript of the conversation

Student: …this frickin lady go off on kids because they don’t frickin get this crap? If you would just get up and teach ‘em instead of handing them a frickin’ packet, yo, there’s kids in here who don’t learn like that.
Teacher: Bye
Student: They need to learn face to face.
Teach: Bye
Student: You’re just getting mad cuz I’m pointing out the obvious.
Teacher: No, cuz you’re wasting my time.
Student: No, I’m not wasting your time. I’m telling you what you need to do.
Teacher: Get out.
Student: You want kids to come into your class, you want them to get excited for this? You gotta come in here and you gotta make them excited. You want a kid to change and start doing better? You gotta touch his freakin’ heart. You can’t expect a kid to change if all you do is just tell them.
Teacher: Bye.
Student: You gotta, you gotta take this job serious. This is the future of this nation. And when you come in here like you did last time and make a statement about ‘Oh this is my paycheque…
Teacher: Please leave.
Student: …Indeed it is. But this is my country’s future and my education.
Teacher: Can you go outside please?
Student: But there’s a limit. I’m not BITCHING but simply making an observation.
Teacher: Okay, okay.
Student: And now I will leave.
Teacher: Thank you.
Student: You’re welcome. And if you would like, I’ll teach you a little more so you can actually learn how to teach a freakin class.
Teacher: You’re not welcome back.
Student: Because since I got here, I’ve done nothing but read packets. So don’t try to take credibility for teaching me jack.
Teacher: Bye. Close the door.

It’s not every day a teacher gets schooled by a misfit student with something to say.

A video of Texas teenager Jeff Bliss admonishing his teacher for what he feels to be her ineffective teaching style has gone viral online, leading to the teacher being placed on leave with pay and a fierce debate over whether the kid may actually have a point.

The 18-year-0ld Duncanville High School student is seen in the video getting up from his desk after having been asked to leave and giving his teacher a piece of his mind.

“If you would just get up and teach ‘em instead of handing them a frickin packet, yo, there’s kids in here who don’t learn like that,” he said. “They need to learn face to face.”

Social studies teacher Julie Phung is seen sitting at her desk, repeatedly telling Mr. Bliss ‘Bye’ and later that he was “wasting” her time.

“You want kids to come into your class, you want them to get excited for this? You gotta come in here and you gotta make them excited,” the tall student with flowing blond hair and red high tops says in the video, standing at the front of the class and gesticulating to further emphasize his point. “You want a kid to change and start doing better? You gotta touch his freakin heart. You can’t expect a kid to change if all you do is just tell them.”

“This is my country’s future and my education.”

Local news affiliates quickly picked up the video, now clocked at 1.7 million views and climbing, after a student in the class filmed it on his cellphone and posted it to YouTube. The 90 second snippet has now gleaned international attention.

But others were quick to point out the disrespectful nature of the outburst in an environment where teachers are supposed to be respected. They also warned this video doesn’t show us the full story.

In interviews with local media, Mr. Bliss gave some of the back story behind his outburst spurred by a dispute over a test in his World History class.

“My question was, why we don’t get the same amount of time to take the test as the rest of her classes,” Mr. Bliss told Fox News in Austin.

He alleged Ms. Phung had used profanity during the exchange, which he says precipitated his rant, but Alfred Ray, superintendent of the Duncanville independent school district, wouldn’t confirm if the teacher cursed.

“Less than 10 minutes after it occurred, the teacher cared so much about her student that she went down to the office with the assistant principal while someone else watched her class and they had a conversation in that office and came to some agreement and the student came back to the class later that same period,” Mr. Ray said.

Her leave with pay is standard protocol during an investigation, school officials said.

“As a district with a motto of Engaging Hearts and Minds we focus on building positive relationships with students and designing engaging work that is meaningful,” the Duncanville Independent School District said in a statement released to media.

“We want our students and teachers to be engaged, but the method by which the student expressed his concern could have been handled in a more appropriate way. We are and will continue to be open to listening to students.”

D Magazine in Dallas reported that Mr. Bliss was an 18-year-old sophomore at Duncanville High School because he had dropped out of school for a year.

Mr. Bliss told local Dallas TV station WFAA that it was during this time he learned the value of a good education. He also said he had no regrets about the rant.

“I believe that somebody needed to say this.”

Can see the cell video here

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=442691919156452

by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 3:29 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:08 PM

video is great

MeAndTommyLee
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:15 PM
2 moms liked this

I've seen this video before.  I support this young man 100%.  It's about time kids speak up and tell us what is wrong in the classroom.  

LiveinJoy
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:34 PM

This kid made it to Tosh.0 for a superb viral video.

Why was she suspended exactly?

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:37 PM

Quoting LiveinJoy:

Her leave with pay is standard protocol during an investigation, school officials said.

They are invstigating the incident ( it also refers to less time to do a test than other students). She is on paid leave so she loses nothing and will likely be reinstated

LiveinJoy
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:40 PM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quoting LiveinJoy:

They are invstigating the incident ( it also refers to less time to do a test than other students). She is on paid leave so she loses nothing and will likely be reinstated

I read that.

I think this is old news and she's still teaching. I'll do some research online. I can't remember where I read about it.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:42 PM

its from May

Godgaveme4
by Platinum Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:43 PM
1 mom liked this
I support a students right to discuss with a teacher concerns they have with what is going on in class. I support their right to do it respectfully. Standing up in class and calling her out is not respectful...it is wrong.

I also do not believe videos like this. We had a teacher at our school that a few kids did not like. They video taped him saying certain things and then showed them to the parents. Of course, if they had videoed the entire class the parents would have known the context of what he said.

I do not see this kid as some little hero. He is just someone who made some noise.
LiveinJoy
by on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:50 PM

She doesn't seem like such a schlep according to this:

The Making of Modern America

Jul 19, 2012 No Comments by

History comes alive for Duncanville educators

Engaging problem based learning activities that take students back in time are in the future for Julie Phung’s social studies classes this year.  She received a few lessons herself this summer on how to bring modern American history to life in the classroom.

Phung and fellow Duncanville High School world history instructor Ted Ford attended “The Making of Modern America,” a three-day education forum that drew more than 40 Texas educators this past June to the Southern Methodist University campus in Dallas.

“The historical event I got the most from and that came alive was (when I heard) the professor of economic history speak on the depression and how FDR managed the situation,” Phung explains.

Ford’s favorite topic was World War II, especially since the forum’s schedule marked the anniversary of one of its most important battles.  “It was done on the anniversary of D-Day, and veterans from WWII were invited to participate.  Excellent presentation!” he explained.

Educators also collaborated in small groups, discussing new ways to help students meet the 2012-2013 state-required testing goals while keeping them engaged in their learning.

Phung’s group specifically focused on finding new challenges for students with the latest online tools.  “I plan to use some of the internet resources they spoke of to help create enrichment activities such as games, and also ways to help our students incorporate more reading into the social studies daily classroom.”

Attendees had the opportunity to hear lectures and receive one-on-one guidance from world-renowned professors, including Pulitzer Prize-winning historians David M. Kennedy of Stanford University and David M. Oshinksky of the University of Texas at Austin, and Pulitzer finalist H.W. Brands of UT Austin.

Ford appreciated their knowledge. “It made the event!  I really enjoyed listening to experts who specialize in the subjects that we teach give practical information and suggestions to make us better in the classroom.”

Phung took home new ideas in problem based learning initiatives, and hopes to ask students to use what they learn about history to look for solutions to modern issues. “Medical research is so under-discussed, and given the current situation with the new health care law this is an opportune time to remind students how far we have come in our country in the last 75 years in the areas of medicine and technology!”

Phung will teach World History and Asian American Studies, and Ford will teach US and World History during the 2012-2013 school year.

wowguildmomma
by Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:53 PM

what is really sad is I am from texas and even 10 years ago when I was in highschool most the classes were taught the same.

Class bell

Teacher comes in hands out packet 

teacher tells you due date of packet and date of test

teacher then sits at the desk talking football, cheerleading or whatever club they are staff in

Class dismissed.

There were a number of times that friends of mine would fail just because of this same scenario. I helped them out in subjects I was good in and a few kids had tutors they went to out of class, but there were several that just got left flappin in the breeze with only hopes that they would pass the tests.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 12, 2014 at 6:56 PM

Quoting wowguildmomma:

what is really sad is I am from texas and even 10 years ago when I was in highschool most the classes were taught the same.

Class bell

Teacher comes in hands out packet 

teacher tells you due date of packet and date of test

teacher then sits at the desk talking football, cheerleading or whatever club they are staff in

Class dismissed.

There were a number of times that friends of mine would fail just because of this same scenario. I helped them out in subjects I was good in and a few kids had tutors they went to out of class, but there were several that just got left flappin in the breeze with only hopes that they would pass the tests.

I know that i how many summer school classes were (I have never been , but a few of my friends have)

i can't believe people think that's teaching!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN