Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

“They should be able to put the statue up, and then they should be shot right next to it!"

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM
  • 70 Replies

Fox refuses to comment after guest calls for Satanists to be gunned down

Monday, January 13, 2014 9:33 EST
foxnews

The Satanic Temple has issued a press release demanding that Fox Business News publicly apologize for the remarks made by one of its commentators.

On January 9, 2014, one of the participants in Fox Business New’s “Mensa Meeting,” Bernard McGuirk, said that members of the Satanic Temple who want to erect a monument in Oklahoma City should be executed.

“They should be able to put the statue up, and then they should be shot right next to it, and then we take it down,” McGuirk said.

Lawyers for the Satanic Temple say that “[s]uch incitement to violence is reckless and possibly criminal. Advocacy of the murder of American citizens based on their religious beliefs is intolerable and sickening. For [Fox Business] to disseminate such a position as part of a televised debate on a national network strikes at the heart of this country’s founding principles and potentially places the Temple’s members in imminent danger.”

Though the Temple’s complaint may seem unnecessary, many believe that Fox New’s Bill O’Reilly’s inflammatory rhetoric incited the murderer of Dr. George Tiller. Given the history Fox News viewers have of acting upon such calls to violence, the Satanic Temple wants the network to make it clear that violence carried out against a person — even a member of the Satanic Temple — for his or her religious beliefs is unacceptable.

As their lawyers write, “[o]ur client requests that the Fox News Network immediately issue The Satanic Temple an apology for broadcasting a call for the murder of its members, who simply desire to be treated equally with every other religion in this country. In addition, they would like to see a public reprimand of Bernard McGuirk.”

Satanic Temple spokesman Lucien Greaves also took offense at the panel’s characterization of his organization as one that “promote[s] evil” and is “anti-Christian.” In a statement, he said that “Even the most basic and cursory perusal of our website could have served to correct these panelists. It is unconscionable that a news panel would express opinions without doing any research. Our’s is a philosophy that is meant to enrich lives and encourage benevolence. It is reprehensible that a nationally televised commentator could call for our execution regarding any item of disagreement, much less based upon entirely imagined presumptions.”

Raw Story contacted Fox Business News about the “various defamatory remarks,” and was told by a spokesperson that the network “was not about to dignify Satanicists [sic] by commenting on their nonsense.”

VIDEO : http://video.foxbusiness.com/v/3031080111001/should-satan-statue-be-allowed-at-oklahoma-state-capital/#sp=show-clips

Christie Roadblock

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:36 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:42 PM
The whole thing is ridiculous and if everyone involved would realize that Satan is an old time Myth, and doesn't exist ,there wouldn't be a problem.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
gowings42
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:43 PM
4 moms liked this

The same can be said about "God".

Quoting lga1965: The whole thing is ridiculous and if everyone involved would realize that Satan is an old time Myth, and doesn't exist ,there wouldn't be a problem.

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:48 PM
1 mom liked this

I think what you said is offensive, as is the post you were replying too.

Quoting gowings42:

Quoting lga1965: The whole thing is ridiculous and if everyone involved would realize that Satan is an old time Myth, and doesn't exist ,there wouldn't be a problem.

gowings42
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:54 PM

That's ok.  Sometimes we get offended by differences of opinion.  Human nature.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Quoting gowings42:

MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 12:59 PM

Exactly.  I don't care what statues they erect tbh.  It all means something to somebody.  All this bickering and bitching  is trite.

Quoting gowings42:

That's ok.  Sometimes we get offended by differences of opinion.  Human nature.

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Quoting gowings42:

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM
1 mom liked this

This is all so out of hand and ridiculous.

Both sides, all sides. 

Smart ass comments left and right are wrong.

I do not care what statue is put up or taken down or otherwise.  Why would I let all of this bring to me such a low level?

Ridiculous comments made, ridiculous statue.  If you let one in you open the door for others.  

StarburstKisses
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:04 PM

I don't think what he said was right or should be condoned in any means, however, calling him out and saying what he said is bad and he should be punished, makes me believe the same for other parties. Such as the NBP. Who -even though they are fellow Americans - have a serious itch against whites and other races. They are often spewing hate it's ridiculous and oftne over looked. I believe in freedom of speech, but I don't believe that gives the right for anyone to preach threats, or to coherse the condoning of killing of anyone. They should be treated as such, threats, and with that charges.

mickstinator
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:11 PM

While I think the Satanic thing is trite, I also really don't know how else the point of separation of church and state is supposed to be made. I would love to hear another strategy that proves to be as effective at gaining momentum. 

I will say that Fox News viewers don't have any sort of incredible history of shooting people up just because someone has done it before. That is a pretty big leap to make. 

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:14 PM

Quoting Pema_Jampa:

Raw Story contacted Fox Business News about the “various defamatory remarks,” and was told by a spokesperson that the network “was not about to dignify Satanicists [sic] by commenting on their nonsense.”

Oh my.

I don't think we've heard the last of this.

Pema_Jampa
by SxyTaco on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:14 PM

http://www.salon.com/2009/05/31/tiller_2/

Quoting mickstinator:

While I think the Satanic thing is trite, I also really don't know how else the point of separation of church and state is supposed to be made. I would love to hear another strategy that proves to be as effective at gaining momentum. 

I will say that Fox News viewers don't have any sort of incredible history of shooting people up just because someone has done it before. That is a pretty big leap to make. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured