Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Health classes............what do you think?

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:01 PM
  • 70 Replies

Below is the email I received from my daughter's school.  A quick outline of the upcoming health classes.

Would you opt your child out?

Quote:

The following are scheduled units and dates for 8th grade Health.
Jan. 27-Feb. 7: Conflict Resolution, Bullying, and Suicide Prevention
March 3-14: AIDS and Human Growth and Development
March 24-April 4: Tobacco, Alcohol, and Illegal Drugs
We will also have a parent night for parents to look over the Human Growth and Development and AIDS lessons; that night will be February 3rd.
A letter will be going out with your son or daughter soon regarding this night.

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:01 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:06 PM

Not much detail there.  That could be anything.  I certainly would want to know more, and I would expect them to resist me, if it were a public school.  They tend to be on a need-to-know basis with parents. 

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:07 PM

I'd need to know about the first one but i would likely opt out of the ATF session.

Human growth and AIDS (weird combo) is probably just medical information, which i'd be okay with.

canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM
As long as the information is factual and not just 'drugs are bad!' or 'sex is bad!', I will never opt my kids out of being educated.

My oldest is in high school and has had a few 'health' classes, and so has my 6th grader. We do a 'family life' class with our students (high schoolers with special needs) and I go home and say 'guess what we learned in family life today?' and use that as jumping off point for a chat about it.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:08 PM

Quoting TranquilMind:

Not much detail there.  That could be anything.  I certainly would want to know more, and I would expect them to resist me, if it were a public school.  They tend to be on a need-to-know basis with parents. 

There is a parents night where more information will be given out.

Why do you hold such an expectation of resistance?  Have you met with that in the past?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:10 PM

Quoting UpSheRises:

I'd need to know about the first one but i would likely opt out of the ATF session.

Human growth and AIDS (weird combo) is probably just medical information, which i'd be okay with.

I am curious as to exactly how they plan to handle the ATF segment.

I don't know that I will opt her out but I am looking forward to finding out more information.

From what I know, prior to the parents night of course, in regards to the AIDS, etc., segment, it is medical facts brought in by two doctors who are local.  Who, exactly, and what exactly, remain to be seen.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:15 PM
1 mom liked this

Yes, I have.  There is this feeling that the school "owns" the kid and they "let" you, the parent, know only a little information because they don't want complaints.  I've only experienced it in the public school arena. 

If you want an eyefull, google some of the stuff they do in public schools without parental knowledge.  You have to really stay on top of things and they do not like those parents who question for specifics. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Why do you hold such an expectation of resistance?  Have you met with that in the past?

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:18 PM
1 mom liked this
That is super vague, lol.

If my kids were going to public school I would definitely be supplementing their reproductive health education. I think everyone, especially girls, should learn to track their ovulation/fertility. Even if they don't believe as we do that artificial contraception is immoral, it is so helpful for when they do one day want to get pregnant and also gets them more in tune and knowledgeable about their body, making early detection of any problems much more likely. The basic "you will get a monthly period and could get pregnant" overview in school isn't as scientific or thorough as it should be.

I also think that sex ed shouldn't be taught outside the context of teachings on godly family life and theological truths regarding life and sexuality, sex and family life/parenting go hand in hand and should be taught together.but I realize that that isn't possible in public school. Yay homeschooling!
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:19 PM
1 mom liked this

I laughed, thinking of the gym teacher sex-ed class in Mean Girls. 

Quoting canadianmom1974: As long as the information is factual and not just 'drugs are bad!' or 'sex is bad!', I will never opt my kids out of being educated.

My oldest is in high school and has had a few 'health' classes, and so has my 6th grader. We do a 'family life' class with our students (high schoolers with special needs) and I go home and say 'guess what we learned in family life today?' and use that as jumping off point for a chat about it.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:21 PM

Quoting TranquilMind:

Yes, I have.  There is this feeling that the school "owns" the kid and they "let" you, the parent, know only a little information because they don't want complaints.  I've only experienced it in the public school arena. 

If you want an eyefull, google some of the stuff they do in public schools without parental knowledge.  You have to really stay on top of things and they do not like those parents who question for specifics. 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting TranquilMind:

Thanks for responding.  I'm sorry you had to deal with that.

When my oldest was attending a high school in a small town in Idaho I experienced things I still cannot believe, as did she.  I pulled her from that school and home schooled her until we PCS'd up here.  It was more along the lines of lack of structure and common sense within the Administration versus the curriculum.

But in regards to information given, correct information, about any and all classes, especially classes such as these, I have never been mislead or otherwise.  Nor have my children.  All of my questions have been answered and so far, honestly.

I am so involved in my 8th graders school I do fully expect full disclosure.  We will see if it comes about.  

I have never relied on the schools to teach my girls in regards to these classes, they knew more about it all going in than many other students.  It is important that the kids be taught the truth without any bias or agenda.  Sadly, too many kids know next to nothing.

Momniscient
by Ruby Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 1:36 PM
3 moms liked this

Would I opt out?

No. Not in a million years. I would be actively involved in looking at the curriculum and attend parents night.

I am not afraid of my child hearing something in school because I am self aware and will teach my child what I think they need to know about the things they hear.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN