The New York Post had an exclusive report this weekend about PS 106 and its principal, Marcella Sills, in Queens, New York, and wow. If the claims are true, it might just be the worst school with the worst principal in the country.
Some of the terrible things allegedly happening there include:
- The school nurse doesnâ€™t have a properly equipped office.
- An unorganized library described as a â€śjunk room.â€ť
- There are no substitute teachers; kids from an absent teacherâ€™s class are put into other classes for the day.
- Classes are being held in dilapidated, â€śrat-infestedâ€ť trailers.
- Students have not been given math, reading, or writing books.
Then thereâ€™s another big problem: Marcella Sills, a principal who is being paid six figures, allegedly, rarely shows up for work on time if at all. Inanother report on the matter published this morning, the Post informed its readers about a curious party for fifth-graders that Principal Sills has organized for the past three years. At a cost of $110 per student, children must wear bridal or groom attire. The Post writes, â€śThe kids, many of whom live below the poverty line, must foot the bill for the strange get-ups, which Sills personally picks out at stores such as Menâ€™s Wearhouse and Davidâ€™s Bridal, parents and ex-teachers said.â€ť
Currently, Ms. Sills has not commented on the allegations. Carmen FariĂ±a, the newly named New York City school chancellor, announced that she has begun an investigation. Make sure you read the Postâ€™s initial report and their follow-up from this morning, because there is more craziness within.