Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Two shot after dispute over noise in movie theater.

Posted by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:00 PM
  • 211 Replies

Quote:

Two shot after dispute over noise in theater

Posted: Jan 13, 2014 10:51 AM PSTUpdated: Jan 13, 2014 1:53 PM PST
WESLEY CHAPEL (FOX 13) -

A moviegoer lost his life Monday afternoon after a dispute over texting inside a Pasco County theater.

According to the sheriff's office, the dispute happened before the 1:20 showing of 'Lone Survivor' had even gotten underway at the Cobb CineBistro at Grove 16 complex on Wesley Grove Blvd.

Investigators say two couples had gotten into an argument over noise.

"The victim was on his cell phone, he was texting. We believe he was making some kind of noise. This noise led to an altercation between the suspect and the victim," Sheriff Chris Nocco explained.

A witness recalled seeing the agitated man get up and leave in an apparent attempt to find a manager. When he came back alone, the argument escalated.

Charles Cummings told FOX 13 he heard the victim say he was texting his 3-year-old daughter before the man -- who had left and returned -- pulled out a pistol.

"Their voices start going up, there seems to be a confrontation, somebody throws popcorn, then bang, he was shot," said Cummings, who was there to celebrate his birthday. "I heard the victim say, 'I can't believe...,' then he fell on us."

"I asked if the guy was OK, and he started gurgling blood and then fell," recalled Cummings' son, who said he ran to call 911.

Both the man and his female partner were hospitalized. The male victim died, while the woman suffered non-life-threatening injuries.

Another person inside the theatre was able to grab the gun and detain the suspect until deputies arrived, the sheriff added. That male suspect is in custody and was being questioned.

"It's absolutely crazy it would rise to this level over somebody just texting in a movie theater," Sheriff Nocco offered.

"I can't believe people would bring a gun to a movie," added Cummings, a Marine who served in Vietnam.  "I can't believe they would argue and fight and shoot one another over popcorn or even a cell phone."

Just saw this on my FB feed.  Did not look else where for the story so yeah, this is from the local Fox station there.

by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LiveinJoy
by on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:01 PM

who texts their 3 year old?

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:11 PM
4 moms liked this

Quoting LiveinJoy:

Yeah.

Who shots some one over something like this?

I would ask why any one would carry their damn gun in with them but some can't leave home without it.

GLWerth
by Gina on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:13 PM
8 moms liked this

People with poor implulse control should not be carrying firearms.

Are these the 'responsible gun owners' I've heard so much about?

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:13 PM
3 moms liked this

I do not support violence of any kind. However, I would surely love to shoot dickheads in the movie theater myself somtimes.

Erinelizz
by Bronze Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:14 PM
3 moms liked this
The movie hadn't even started yet! Clearly this man needs to be locked away for a very long time if he thinks it's acceptable to settle minor disagreements (with unarmed strangers) with a gun.
I feel very sad for the victim's family.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:15 PM

Quoting furbabymum:

I do not support violence of any kind. However, I would surely love to shoot dickheads in the movie theater myself somtimes.

I have, more times than not, encountered morons in a movie theater.  But texting, even if you could hear it being done at that time, isn't worthy of the man being shot or even complaining.  Now, had he continued to do so once the movie started, I would have said something.  I have, to teens.  Nothing worse than a bunch of brats in a theater disrespecting the rules.  lol

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:16 PM
17 moms liked this
Just remember to keep repeating the mantra that random people carrying deadly weapons around at all times makes us safe. That should protect you from starting to think otherwise. :)
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:18 PM
1 mom liked this

if their babysitter had a phone he could have been communicating this way

Quoting LiveinJoy:

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:18 PM
2 moms liked this

How much noise does a damn text make??

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 13, 2014 at 5:19 PM

I watched a movie once, forgot the name, it was on Netflix. Basically the protagonist was going around killing people he thought were rude. Wouldn't it make you stop texting during a movie if you thought you could be shot over it? Probably. Boy it really annoys me. Probably because I don't get out much so I hate it when people ruin it for me. Anyway, I don't support it. I would never want people out killing rude people. Who knows what you'd get shot over if that happened.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting furbabymum:

I have, more times than not, encountered morons in a movie theater.  But texting, even if you could hear it being done at that time, isn't worthy of the man being shot or even complaining.  Now, had he continued to do so once the movie started, I would have said something.  I have, to teens.  Nothing worse than a bunch of brats in a theater disrespecting the rules.  lol

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)