Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Movie theater shooter...ex cop.

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:38 AM
  • 88 Replies

Deputies: 1 shot dead, 1 injured over cellphone argument in movie theater

Curtis Reeves, former Tampa police officer, taken into custody

UPDATED 6:29 AM EST Jan 14, 2014

WESLEY CHAPEL, Fla. —A former police officer opened fire inside a movie theater north of Tampa on Monday, killing a man and injuring a woman over an argument about cellphone use, deputies said.

Officials said two couples were watching the movie "Lone Survivor" at The Grove 16 Theater in Wesley Chapel when they got into an argument.

The former officer, identified as 71-year-old Curtis Reeves, shot Chad Oulson and Oulson's wife, who were sitting in front of them, deputies said.

The two victims were taken to a Tampa hospital, where Chad Oulson died. His wife had non-life-threatening injuries.

Investigators said the argument began when the Oulsons were texting during the movie previews.

Pasco County deputies said Reeves went to the lobby to complain about Oulson before the argument escalated.

A good Samaritan in the theater was able to detain Reeves until deputies arrived.

The theater was evacuated.

Reeves faces homicide charges.

Read more:http://www.wesh.com/news/central-florida/2-shot-inside-wesley-chapel-movie-theater/-/11788162/23906052/-/10udi0jz/-/index.html#ixzz2qO63rKpn

by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:38 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Euphoric
by Bazinga! on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:45 AM
1 mom liked this

Crazy

Humanoid
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:48 AM

Well then......

Della529
by Matlock on Jan. 14, 2014 at 10:58 AM

I thought the movie hadn't begun yet.

JustCJ
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:02 AM

I heard on the morning news (same as OP) that it was during the previews.

Quoting Della529:

I thought the movie hadn't begun yet.

Mommabearbergh
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:03 AM
Was he mentally disturbed in some way. I hope he goes to jail and is not put in PC because that was just ridiculous to kill someone for texting
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:05 AM
1 mom liked this

He was a retired cop? Wow...what happened? Dementia?

JustCJ
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:05 AM

All I can think is dementia. All his neighbors, everyone who knew him, colleagues, are all blown away by this.

Quoting Mommabearbergh: Was he mentally disturbed in some way. I hope he goes to jail and is not put in PC because that was just ridiculous to kill someone for texting

JustCJ
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:06 AM

Exactly what I was typing while you posted this lol.

Quoting paganbaby:

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:10 AM
1 mom liked this
It says former cop. I was also looking for retired. Former/ex cop is much different than retired. Retired would indicate that (in 90% of the time) s/he retired with permission to carry firearms. The 10% that retire without is either due to psychological or other medical reasons. I did notice that he is 71, so maybe dementia - as a few of you suggested.

An ex/former cop leads me to believe that he either quit or was fired. Need more info.

Quoting paganbaby:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:16 AM
2 moms liked this

Neither shocked nor surprised.

Years ago a colleague and former psyche nurse told me, you have to get out or you'll start to become them-

My 2 BILs are retired large city Captains- they are interesting and both very unpredictable.

At our family Christmas gathering in Dec., I found one lying on my bed watching TV...WTH.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN