Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Cops Who Beat Homeless Man to Death Walk Free

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM
  • 24 Replies

Cops Who Beat Homeless Man to Death Walk Free

Kelly Thomas, schizophrenic and homeless, cried for his dad as he was beaten. His assaulters were found not guilty.

Photo Credit: Fullerton PD

January 14, 2014  |  

Like this article?
Join our email list:

Stay up to date with the latest headlines via email.

Kelly Thomas, a homeless man who suffered from schizophrenia, died in hospital in 2011. He had beaten, tasered and kicked to death by cops from the Fullerton County Police Department while begging for mercy. The sickening incident of police brutality was caught by a surveillance camera.

On Monday, three former police officers (removed from the force following the incident) walked free: Two were found "not guilty" of murder by a jury while charges against a third officer were then dropped. Those familiar with the case have reacted with disgust at the impunity.

We know from surveillance footage that former Fullerton officers Manuel Ramos and Joseph Wolfe and former Cpl. Jay Cicinelli gave the 37-year-old, unarmed, mentally ill man confusing orders that he could not follow. We know that he tried. He cried out "I'm trying," "I'm sorry." We saw some of the six officers involved in the incident stretch Thomas' arms behind him until he cried out in pain. We heard Thomas scream "Dad! Dad!" 30 times as he was lying on the ground gasping. We saw that the beating continued. Officer Ramos said to Thomas, "Now see my fists? They are getting ready to fuck you up." A graphic (warning) image of Thomas' face following the beating surfaced on line and can be seen  here.

But a jury has ruled these men not guilty of murder.

As the verdict was read Monday,  NBC reported, the victim's father Ron (himself a former Fullerton PD deputy) "burst into tears, kicking or stomping his foot."  "Where do we really find justice any more in our justice system? It has been proven right here today that they will get away with it. They will get away with it," Thomas' father said.

And it indeed seems the courts will provide no justice here at all. And so what is left to say, except: No justice, no peace.

The video of Thomas' police beating can be seen below. Warning: graphic and disturbing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GDGGsq8dsWo

by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:08 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Chaos1229
by Tasha on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:11 PM

This just makes me sick that poor man and his family :(

AllofFive19
by Bronze Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 12:43 PM
1 mom liked this

So sickening... 

Lizard_Lina
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 3:43 AM
1 mom liked this
I got so angry watching this. I have a seriously hard time believing 6 trained police officers couldn't figure out how to get a man, who wasn't doing anything, under control. It's not even a believable story and they were still found not guilty.
Bonnie_
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:55 AM

The  news  got their facts wrong.  he wasn't   technically homeless.  The radio station KFI  had his parents  on  as guests  after that verdict was read.   He HAD a home  but  because  of his mental  issues  he chose to live on the streets.   They wanted  him to come home.   This was not his  first run in  with these cops.  They  just got tired of dealing  with him.

nikabear
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 4:58 AM
Smdh........
Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:34 AM
1 mom liked this
Are you excusing the murderous cops' behavior?

Quoting Bonnie_:

The  news  got their facts wrong.  he wasn't   technically homeless.  The radio station KFI  had his parents  on  as guests  after that verdict was read.   He HAD a home  but  because  of his mental  issues  he chose to live on the streets.   They wanted  him to come home.   This was not his  first run in  with these cops.  They  just got tired of dealing  with him.

Bonnie_
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:19 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Bookwormy: Are you excusing the murderous cops' behavior?

Quoting Bonnie_:

Fuck no!!!   I watched that video  and   it broke my heart.  I honestly   CAN NOT  understand  HOW a jury  could  sit through that and think it was OK!!!!!   I hope to God  his parents bring a civil suit against those assholes!  I'm probably going  to have fucking  nightmares  about  what happened to him.  That damn  cop  was  showing  him  his fist and even  said, 'I'm going to fuck you up!'    When  he very first  started  talking to him  he was swinging  his night stick   like  he  just wanted  to  beat  him  with it.    Their atty.  was trying  to  portray  him as a  a homeless meth  head  who  was  out  of control and  attacking them  when it  wasn't true.    WTF  is going  on  with  our  jury system?  They may have gotten away with murder  but God doesn't sleep.

Bookwormy
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:27 AM
Sorry, i misunderstood.

Quoting Bonnie_:

Quoting Bookwormy: Are you excusing the murderous cops' behavior?

Quoting Bonnie_:

Fuck no!!!   I watched that video  and   it broke my heart.  I honestly   CAN NOT  understand  HOW a jury  could  sit through that and think it was OK!!!!!   I hope to God  his parents bring a civil suit against those assholes!  I'm probably going  to have fucking  nightmares  about  what happened to him.  That damn  cop  was  showing  him  his fist and even  said, 'I'm going to fuck you up!'    When  he very first  started  talking to him  he was swinging  his night stick   like  he  just wanted  to  beat  him  with it.    Their atty.  was trying  to  portray  him as a  a homeless meth  head  who  was  out  of control and  attacking them  when it  wasn't true.    WTF  is going  on  with  our  jury system?  They may have gotten away with murder  but God doesn't sleep.

LNLMommy
by Queen K on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:45 AM
2 moms liked this

This type of mess bothers the hell out of me. DH and I were watching Fruitvale Station last night and I also heard a story about a detective who was shot 28 times by police and HE was given 20 years for attempted murder. Seriously? I don't get how wearing Blue excuses you from following the law. How in most of these stories, it is ALWAYS multiple police versus one lone person and somehow they can justify using deadly force. You let one man beat all your asses? uh no, I don't think so. And as a society, we accept it because we "need" the police and it's such a dangerous job that we thank them for doing whatever it takes to "keep us safe". It's scary to think how many loose cannons are allowed to hide behind blue uniforms and badges. I feel they are no longer being taught proper ways to subdue a situation but rather act with emotions first.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)