Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Louisiana parish claims incarcerated 14-year-old consented to be raped by a corrections officer

Posted by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:21 PM
  • 12 Replies

Louisiana parish claims incarcerated 14-year-old consented to be raped by a corrections officer

"These girls in the detention center are not Little Miss Muffin," remarked one official

Louisiana parish claims incarcerated 14-year-old consented to be raped by a corrections officer (Credit: sakhorn via Shutterstock)

A Louisiana parish is arguing that it should not be held liable for the rape of a 14-year-old girl in a juvenile detention center because the victim “consented” to be sexually assaulted by a 40-year-old corrections officer at the facility.

The victim, now 20, filed a civil lawsuit against her assailant, former guard Angelo Vickers, as well as Terrebonne Parish.

The age of consent in Louisiana is 17, but court documents allege that “Vickers could not have engaged in sexual relations within the walls of the detention center with [the victim] without cooperation from her. Vickers did not use force, violence or intimidation when engaging in sexual relations.”

In a comment on the case to the Tri-Parish Times, an anonymous official also remarked that the 14-year-old should share the blame for her assault, saying: “These girls in the detention center are not Little Miss Muffin.”

Attorneys for the young woman — supported by victim rights advocates — argue that consent is not possible in this case.

Carolyn McNabb, an area attorney and child advocate, is one among many local voices harshly criticizing the parish’s victim-blaming: “To say that a 14-year-old mentally and emotionally distressed girl with a history of having been abused and neglected as a child should be found at fault for consenting to be raped by a male guard while in confinement at the hands of my local government, which is charged with the responsibility of keeping her safe, not only sets the cause of children’s advocacy back a hundred years, but I believe the parish government commits ‘documentary’ sexual assault against the child by taking this position in a public record,” she remarked in a letter to parish attorneys.

Marci Hamilton, a sex crime victim advocate and professor at Benjamin Cardozo Law School in New York, also criticized the parish’s defense, arguing that it “has no basis in law,” adding, “she is a victim of statutory rape. The age of consent in Louisiana is 17. The defense is also offensive to sex assault victims everywhere.”

by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:21 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
futureshock
by Ruby Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:22 PM

Disgusting.  They should be all about protecting children not victim blaming.

PinkButterfly66
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:24 PM
1 mom liked this

Louisiana is still corrupt, I see. Disgusting.

OrangeBalloon
by Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:26 PM
That is beyond shameful. I am not from Louisiana, but if I was I wouldn't want to admit it.
Lunarprancer
by Silver Member on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:26 PM

She was incarcerated in a parish?  I'm confused.  But yeah, that's terrible.

LiveinJoy
by on Jan. 14, 2014 at 11:37 PM
2 moms liked this
A parish is like a township with different communities.

This article disgusts me. Not only was she a minor he was a full fledged adult who took advantage of his job and that girl.
lga1965
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:05 AM
1 mom liked this
"consented to be sexually assaulted" ?
Are they that stupid that they think anyone will believe them ?
That's more than just lying. That's criminally insane .
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
autodidact
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this

IN other news, Louisianna parish is full of shit, fails to understand the concepts of consent and rape

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:16 AM
1 mom liked this
In NY anyone who is an inmate cannot give consent to have sex.
canadianmom1974
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 12:20 AM
1 mom liked this
So she was well below the age of consent and person who assaulted her was in a position of authority over her, yeah anyone who thinks this girl - no matter if she's a 'little miss muffin' (?) or not - consented has their head firmly up their ass.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)