Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Learn What Happens When iPhone’s Siri Is Asked About Religious Beliefs

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:55 AM
  • 12 Replies

Learn What Happens When iPhone’s Siri Is Asked About Religious Beliefs

article image

Can an artificial intelligence be equipped to hold biblical worldview? Does the iPhone’s Siri believe in God?

A religion writer for The Huffington Post wanted to find out whether or not the phone assistant had any religious beliefs by asking Siri a series of hard hitting questions.

Siri said she was “not equipped to answer” a particular question when asked if she was a Christian. In reply to another question, the in-built assistant said she would “rather not say” if she likes Pope Francis.

The Huffington Post reporter was inspired to ask these questions after watching Spike Jonez’s movie, “Her.” The film is about a man’s romantic relationship with an artificial intelligence operating system, Samantha, set in the not-so-distant future.

The Christian Post conducted similar lines of questioning when the iPhone 4S was released in 2011, and concluded that Siri does not seem to lean on a particular religious view.

“It is efficient in providing the user with information about the Christian faith, but seems to misinterpret certain questions,” the Post reported.

Read the conversation in its entirety below (images courtesy of The Huffington Post):

by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 7:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Seperation of spirit and silicon! Love it
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:51 AM
1 mom liked this
Siri has a lit if funny comebacks. I think they update the jokes too. I will see if I can find it but I heard about some pretty funny comments when it is asked political questions. Have to remember where I aaw it.
jcrew6
by Platinum Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 10:12 AM
1 mom liked this

We have fun asking Siri questions...   

Sekirei
by Nari Trickster on Jan. 15, 2014 at 1:59 PM

lol

SlightlyPerfect
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Yes! The words "disquisition" and "obfuscation" FTW!!!!!

SlightlyPerfect
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 4:05 PM

Too bad you Kant remember. Haha!

Quoting stacymomof2: Siri has a lit if funny comebacks. I think they update the jokes too. I will see if I can find it but I heard about some pretty funny comments when it is asked political questions. Have to remember where I aaw it.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 5:30 PM
1 mom liked this

What idiots lay around all day coming up with stupid ass questions to ask their phone?

stacymomof2
by Ruby Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 5:42 PM
Haha *rimshot*

Quoting SlightlyPerfect:

Too bad you Kant remember. Haha!

Quoting stacymomof2: Siri has a lit if funny comebacks. I think they update the jokes too. I will see if I can find it but I heard about some pretty funny comments when it is asked political questions. Have to remember where I aaw it.

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 6:56 PM

I love Siri. She once asked me if I talk to my mother "with that mouth."

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 6:57 PM

Quoting kailu1835:

What idiots lay around all day coming up with stupid ass questions to ask their phone?

Apparently, a writer getting paid to do so. Not a bad gig. 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN