Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teacher arrested for having sex with prostitute keeps job

Posted by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:29 AM
JRM
  • 53 Replies
Bronx teacher caught with prostitute keeps job as he sues city over fine

After being accused of soliciting a prostitute, Edgar Ortiz, 65, filed papers contesting his removal from the classroom at P.S. 73, saying: 'Teachers must have a zone in which they may exercise their own prerogatives and activities.'

BY BEN CHAPMAN , BARBARA ROSS AND BILL HUTCHINSON / NEW YORK DAILY NEWS

Edgar Ortiz, a teacher at P.S. 73 in the Bronx, has filed a lawsuit against the city Department of Education for punishing him for sex with prostitutes, which he says took place outside work hours and not on school property.
A public school teacher busted when he was caught with a $20 hooker is sparking outrage because he still has his job — and has the gall to fight a city-imposed fine.

This is the second time Edgar Ortiz, 65, kept a sex-related arrest from the city Department of Education, court records show. In 1996, the elementary teacher was hit with charges of sexual abuse and endangering the welfare of a minor, which Ortiz claims were later dropped.

He argues in a lawsuit filed in Manhattan Supreme Court that his superiors had no right to punish him for his April 2012 arrest on charges of soliciting a prostitute because it was “completely unrelated to his teaching.”

“Teachers are not indentured servants subject to school direction and control 24 hours a day, seven days a week,” the randy teacher argued. “Teachers must have a zone in which they may exercise their own prerogatives and activities.”

Ortiz — who gets to keep his $89,307-a-year salary — was collared after cops approached his Toyota minivan parked in a dingy industrial area in the Bronx , says the criminal complaint.

Ortiz — a father of three who lives with a woman, according to a friend — was naked from the waist down on top of the prostitute, and both were “making thrusting motions with their hips,” the complaint said.

“She’s a young lady,” Ortiz told cops at the time. “I don’t know her name. I picked her up on Southern Blvd. and 178th St. for $20. I jumped on it because it was so cheap.”

He pleaded guilty to disorderly conduct and was fined $250, court papers say.

When the NYPD informed the Department of Education of the arrest, Ortiz was yanked from the classroom at Public School 73 in the Bronx. He remains on the department payroll as a substitute teacher.

“He shouldn’t be in the classroom,” fumed Campbell Brown, founder of the Parents Transparency Project. “The system is already far too lenient, and it’s hurting children.”

Reached Tuesday, Ortiz said he’d “rather not” discuss his case.

Officials demanded he be fired, but his disciplinary hearing officer rejected the move and instead fined him $7,500.

“That’s crazy. The district should have the power to terminate employees,” said Mona Davids, president of the New York City Parents Union.

Manhattan Supreme Court Justice Carol Huff on Monday refused to toss Ortiz’s case and ordered the city to answer his petition to eliminate the fine. The city “failed to offer any legal basis for penalizing a teacher for illegal conduct that has little or no apparent connection with his teaching duties,” Huff wrote in a decision.

Daniel LaRose, assistant city corporation counsel, said he was disappointed in the decision.

Records show it was at least the fourth time Ortiz has been arrested in the past two decades.

Following his 1996 arrest for sexual abuse and endangering the welfare of a minor, he took a leave of absence. Ortiz argued he didn’t need to inform the Education Department of those legal troubles because he was on a leave when the charges were dismissed.

With Barry Paddock, Ginger Adams Otis and Corky Siemaszko
bchapman@nydailynews.com
Read more: http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york/education/teacher-sues-education-department-sex-punishment-article-1.1579105#ixzz2qTLJhAgF
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:29 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:33 AM
12 moms liked this

While I don't agree with what he did, I agree with his arguement. Unless he signed a morality clause, he has every right to a private life outside of his teaching job. This will be an interesting case to watch.

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:43 AM
1 mom liked this
$20 hooker...eww! But it was outside of work hours so I agree with woodbabe.
Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:54 AM

Yeah for $20 I expected him to be busted only getting a BJ.....

Quoting Luvnlogic: $20 hooker...eww! But it was outside of work hours so I agree with woodbabe.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 8:58 AM
1 mom liked this
Maybe it was "Teacher Appreciation Week"?

Quoting Woodbabe:

Yeah for $20 I expected him to be busted only getting a BJ.....

Quoting Luvnlogic: $20 hooker...eww! But it was outside of work hours so I agree with woodbabe.

lga1965
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
LOL....he said he jumped on it because it was so cheap.
Hysterical. He's such a loser. But it was off hours, not connected to his job in any way.
I'm wondering about the other charge of sexual abuse and a minor was all about,though.
He's just icky.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
LadyVoldemort
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:18 AM
1 mom liked this
Agreed

Quoting Woodbabe:

While I don't agree with what he did, I agree with his arguement. Unless he signed a morality clause, he has every right to a private life outside of his teaching job. This will be an interesting case to watch.

SuperChicken
by on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:23 AM
1 mom liked this

I think he should be fired.  We entrust teachers with the most vulnerable in society.   We give the authority over our children.    I don't think it's expecting too much for them not to break the law.    If you're found guilty (and I think his admitting his guilt qualifies here), you lose your job.    This isn't a morality issue, imo.  

Luvnlogic
by Silver Member on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:26 AM
Any law? What if he jaywalked or littered?

Quoting SuperChicken:

I think he should be fired.  We entrust teachers with the most vulnerable in society.   We give the authority over our children.    I don't think it's expecting too much for them not to break the law.    If you're found guilty (and I think his admitting his guilt qualifies here), you lose your job.    This isn't a morality issue, imo.  

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:37 AM
How does having sex with a grown woman in his car affect your children?

Quoting SuperChicken:

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 15, 2014 at 9:38 AM
1 mom liked this

I dont know.  Hes right in that they should have a private life but I dont know that someone who jumps on it because its so cheap is someone I want teaching my kids.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)