Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

LGBT bigotry is going to kill the Republican Party

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:30 AM
  • 49 Replies

GOProud co-founder: ‘Cancer’ of LGBT bigotry is going to kill the Republican Party

By David Ferguson
Wednesday, January 15, 2014 11:46 EST
GOProud Jimmy LaSalvia via screencap

• Print Friendly and PDF
  • Email this page

Co-founder of LGBT conservative group GOProud Jimmy LaSalvia likened being a gay man and “team player” in the Republican Party to being the parent of a crack-addicted teen. In an interview with Raw Story, LaSalvia said that the GOP is going to have to “hit bottom” to break its addiction to bigotry and anti-LGBT hate.

In a blog post on Monday, LaSalvia announced that after years of struggling to change the Republican Party’s hardline anti-LGBT stance from within, he is giving up and leaving the party.

“I’ve found myself in a situation where I’m beating my head against a wall,” said LaSalvia, “trying to help an organization that does not share my values. My values do not tolerate bigotry.”

“I have spent my whole career working to create an atmosphere where gay conservatives could live their lives openly and work in the conservative movement,” he said, but again and again, the Republican Party has missed its chances to denounce naked bigotry in its ranks. “The Republicans made a decision to be on the wrong side.”

During the campaign to elect former Gov. Mitt Romney (R-MA), he said, the candidate chose openly gay Republican operative Kenneth Grenell as its foreign policy spokesperson.

A surge of right-wing outrage forced the campaign to let Grenell go within days. Romney, LaSalvia said, “couldn’t stand up for Grenell” or even say that it was wrong to judge someone on the basis of their orientation.

“The Republican Party staged a convention with, essentially, a Noah’s Ark of speakers lined up,” he continued. “They had every single group represented on that stage by speakers except gays and Muslims despite questions for weeks ahead of time whether or not they were going to have a gay speaker.”

GOProud staged a huge event in Tampa during the convention with more than 1,000 attendees, “and the Romney campaign couldn’t even bring themselves to send a surrogate to say ‘Thank you for your support,’” LaSalvia said.

The nomination of Virginia Attorney General Ken Cuccinelli as the Republican candidate for governor was another slap in the face from the party.

“It was astonishing,” said LaSalvia. “I likened it to David Duke running in the early 1990s in Louisiana. This is a man who says that his fellow Americans are ‘soulless’ and need help.

“That’s the question,” he said, “whether they’re going to go the way of the Dixiecrats, whether they’re going to hold on to their bigotry to the bitter end. And I think they might.”

“I liken what I did in leaving the party this week,” he said, “to tough love parenting. You try to help your drug-addicted child to the point where you just have to put your foot down and cut them off because they’ve got to hit bottom before they’re going to realize.”

“I thought that they had hit bottom after the last election. And they even did treatment in the form of an autopsy report,” he said, “but they still haven’t given up their crack.”

By only dealing with its bigotry problem “around the edges,” he said, the Republican Party makes it official that it tolerates the hate.

“To me, the autopsy kind of seems a year later like they’ve taken a terminally ill cancer patient in for a makeover,” he said. “She feels good, she looks great, but at the end of the day, the cancer’s going to kill her unless you cut it out of her.”

http://www.rawstory.com/...

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jan. 16, 2014 at 2:30 AM
8 moms liked this

B...b...but...Benghaaa...oh never mind!

AdrianneHill
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:32 AM
20 moms liked this
Bigotry of all kinds is what is killing the republican party. They have become the party of being united in their hatred of something "wrong" instead of their desire to do something better.
They used to have plans and dreams. Goals that could be attained and worked toward. In the past ten years or so, they have become the party of "no". They have no new ideas that they want to try or old ideas that they want to tweak, they only want to tear things down and let whatever happens to America, simply happen because other Americans deserve to be punished.
Once again, this the same problem the hippies had. They knew what needed to be torn down but they believed that the rebuilding would take care of itself. The real world doesn't work like that and all it does is create more havoc. Come to the table with a few ideas and maybe we can go forward. Quit looking backwards because those days are gone and let's deal with the world as it is now, not act like it will automatically become as it should be.
UpSheRises
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:46 AM
8 moms liked this

It's only one of many reasons.

They talk a lot of shit about small government and government intervention then they turn around and propose legislation after legislation intended to control what people do in the most intimate parts of their lives.

Raintree
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this

I would recommend a recent movie here, but I don't want to be a spoiler. It involves the republican party and their stupid reaction to the AIDS epidemic in the 80s- which was "ignore it, since it affects gay men".

simplytess
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:22 AM
2 moms liked this

This is a good thing right?!

Raintree
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:22 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting UpSheRises:

It's only one of many reasons.

They talk a lot of shit about small government and government intervention then they turn around and propose legislation after legislation intended to control what people do in the most intimate parts of their lives.

While growing government, by the way. 

lga1965
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 10:59 AM
1 mom liked this

That.... and a lot of other issues, prejudices..

AdrianneHill
by Ruby Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:21 AM
1 mom liked this
But it doesn't matter if republicans are bigoted because white straight people get picked on all of the time tooooooo.
Fine, as long as everyone is doing it, that must make it ok. What a great lesson to instill in the children. Won't someone PLEASE think of the children?!
candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:24 AM

What, a gay activist that tried to change things and quits because it doesn't happen.  He proably couldn't find someone that would give into his threats.  Less than 3% of the population is going to "kill" the republican party.   LOL

A-nony-mous
by Bronze Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:32 AM
7 moms liked this

Yes. It's sad in a way because sometimes I've agreed with some of their economic ideas but I can't, in good conscience, vote or support them because they're simply too bigoted to everything; women, non-whites, non-straight. Basically anyone that isn't a middle aged married white male like them. And they're so hyperfocused on moral issues now, to the detriment of other important issues like improving their foreign policies or even the economy anymore. It's all just abortion, abortion, abortion, sex, sex, sex, abortion, sex, abortion, sex, God, abortion, God, church....oh, the country needs jobs? To make money? Uhhh, uhh, uhh...more abortion debates, quickly!! 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)