Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Teens are fleeing from FaceBook

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:39 AM
  • 59 Replies
1 mom liked this

Proof that mom and dad's constantly posting kissing pictures and excessively joking about drinking booze on FB is keeping our teens from doing the same....

PARENTING WIN!

link

More Than 11 Million Young People Have Fled Facebook Since 2011

• Facebook guy
JOEL SAGET / AFP / Getty Images

Skeptics of Facebook’s business model have long pointed to anecdotal evidence that the social network is losing its luster with teens as evidence that the firm will ultimately be unable to justify its $140 billion valuation. Indeed, even Facebook itself admitted last fall that it had lost younger users. “We did see a decrease in [teenage] daily users [during the quarter], especially younger teens,” Facebook chief financial officer David Ebersman said during a call with analysts.

But it’s always been difficult to gauge exactly what the magnitude of this lost interest has been. On Wednesday, the digital consultancy iStrategy Labs released a study that draws from Facebook’s Social Advertising platform to glean exactly how many young users have left the social network in recent years. The resulting estimates are pretty staggering. According to iStrategy, Facebook has 4,292,080 fewer high-school aged users and 6,948,848 college-aged users than it did in 2011. Check out the data below:

istrategy study

Advertisers covet younger audiences because their taste in products are more malleable, so these data could have a significant effect on the ad rates Facebook can charge.

On the other hand, advertising on Facebook isn’t just about its massive reach with younger users. A big part of Facebook’s pitch is that it has so much information about its users that it can more effectively target ads to those who will be responsive to the content. If Facebook can prove that theory to be true, then it may not worry so much about losing its cool cachet.

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:39 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:43 AM

I don't use facebook. I actually think its really weird. Its like an advertisement for yourself.

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:55 AM
5 moms liked this

I have a teen and a couple of kids in their twenties.

Let me tell you what I see.

Teens are still using Facebook, but it's not really the only cool game in town.  They are tweeting, SnapChatting, Vining, and Instagramming, and Tumblring, all activities which are socially interactive in different ways than Facebook allows, and which also decrease the amount of time one would spend on Facebook.  Couple that with the loss of "cool" that accompanied all of the older people joining, and you can see why Facebook is losing cachet among the younger set.

My kids use Facebook a bit, usually for groups though.  My younger daughter, for instance, has a couple of group pages on FB for her classes, a few for her extracurricular activities, they made a prom dress page where when you get your dress you share it so no one repeats the same dress, there's one for Senior Assassins, etc.

If you really want to know anything personal or what's going on in her head you'd have to read her Tumblr page, and that of her friends.

FB is going to have to figure out how to compete in a growing noisy market, instead of being the only kid in town.

candlegal
by Judy on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:58 AM

My main reason and the reason for several of my friends using facebook is grandkids.   I have grandkids that live in other states and I can see their pictures and follow their lives within minutes on facebook.  It has also allowed me to catch up with people I graduated with many years ago that are over 20000 miles from me.

Quoting UpSheRises:

I don't use facebook. I actually think its really weird. Its like an advertisement for yourself.

SilverSterling
by MrsSilverusSnape on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:59 AM

my 11yr 12yr and 17 all have and use Facebook.. the 2 younger ones use it  for games and chatting with family in another state... I don't see less kids on Facebook I see more and more using other social Media sites as well 

coolmommy2x
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I don't know, I'm looking at the chart and while high school and college use has dropped, college alumni use has grown...is it possible the "kids" are also just getting older? And yes, there are more sites available now than a few years ago.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
lizmarie1975
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 7:52 AM
4 moms liked this
My 17 year old has removed himself from all social media. He doesn't think it's important.
lga1965
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:06 AM

My granddaughters never use Facebook. Well,one did but she closed her account last year because she is a private person and says she "doesn't need to advertise herself".  LOL. She is rather shy. My 17 year old grandson rarely posts anything now. He's too busy studying and keeping his GPA at B+ , applying to colleges and deciding which one will be best for him. Last year he posted stuff every day. Fun stuff, but he admits he wasted a lot of time.

I rarely post anything to my page either but I enjoy reading friends and family's pages and seeing new photos ,etc.

I think the more mature teens have drifted away from Facebook and other sites..

You have to wonder why some teens wanted to post selfies and inappropriate photos of themselves anyway. They seem desperate for attention..any kind of attention. Too bizarre.

Aamy
by Silver Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:10 AM
1 mom liked this
Not really. Profile is private and its great way for family to keep in touch.

Quoting UpSheRises:

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:18 AM
1 mom liked this
I've noticed the teens I am friends with on fb post a LOT less. I'm ok with that. tHeSe tYpE oF sTaTuS uPdAtEs wErE dRiViNg Me NuTs. (to be fair, only one teen I knew did that, she was "cool," though. What was really annoying were my former high school classmates that did this into their late twenties.)
_Evenstar_
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 8:22 AM
I'd like to get rid of mine
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)