Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Have you become jaded to all the recent shootings?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:35 AM
  • 58 Replies

3 Dead After Gunman Terrorizes an Indiana Grocery Store Late in the Night

by Sasha Brown-Worsham

grocery store shootingA 44-year-old woman shopper, a 20-year-old supermarket employee, and the gunman are all dead after a horrific shooting Wednesday evening at an Indiana supermarket. The entire thing happened around 10 p.m. -- typically a quiet time to shop. Now there are three people dead, and while police haven't released the motive, the town is obviously reeling.

Of course, this isn't even close to the first tragedy of its kind this week. Shootings are sadly becoming the norm. The Martin's Super Market shooting comes on the heels of the horrible school shooting in New Mexico and the shooting death of a young father for texting during a movie in Florida. When does it end?

The motive for this shooting isn't yet known and it's entirely possible it was a domestic dispute. Does that make it any better? The gunman also was found with a knife on his body, though reports say he hadn't used it. Would a knife have been better? I know "guns don't kill people," but a knife attack is much, much easier to survive or at least fight off.

Something needs to change, and sadly, there is no indication that anything will. If 20 first graders being gunned down in their classroom did nothing to change the gun culture in this country, then what will?

Shootings are the norm. They are so normal, in fact, that seeing that only three were killed in this grocery store shooting was almost a relief. Three is better than 26, right? The shot gun used in the New Mexico school shooting is better than the assault weapons used in Newtown. We start justifying the shootings and weighing what's worse. Older people are better to be shot than younger and domestic disputes are easier to hear about than random killings.

It's a pretty sad state and my heart goes out to the victims in this case. Each of the two innocent victims had families who loved them and people whose lives have been destroyed. It needs to stop. Things like this need to not happen. But they will happen anyway.

Have you become jaded to all these shootings?

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:35 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
SourRoses
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:38 AM
Yes. It used to be rare, or at least that's how it seemed. In the last few years its become normal headlines.
sburger315
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:43 AM
Quoting SourRoses: Yes. It used to be rare, or at least that's how it seemed. In the last few years its become normal headlines.

Luke 3/15/11    Maddie 4/29/12    Identical Twin Girls Due 5/29/14

MethuenMom
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:46 AM

I've always been jaded over shootings.  Proud card carrying memeber of the Million Mom March!

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:11 AM
8 moms liked this

Statistics show violent crime is actually at its lowest rates ever..including shootings. Because of the 24 hour news cycle on competing channels, they have to look for more and more news for the "If it bleeds, it leads" cycles.  It just means there's not much else going on to report about. How many shootings did we hear about during the Government shutdown? Or better yet, why are each of these individual shootings such big news but we don't hear about the numbers of shootings in say...CHICAGO every day? 

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:24 AM
3 moms liked this

I realized that the COTUS doesn't really guarantee anyone's rights/freedoms. 

If my freedoms end where yours begin, the only way to win in terms of the gun debate, is to have the bigger more powerful weapon AND USE IT- for any minor infraction. Also, make sure your target is dead, eliminating their rights.

Location, location, location matters....If SYG is on the books and has a history of being successfully utilized, hot headed, impulsive folks win...

I find it repulsive that people on this site are defending the shooter in the movie theater...he was fed up (BFD)...the other man did something he should not have (texts) and threw POPCORN...of course a reasonable person should be allowed to use (another banned object, a loaded gun) to blow a hole through the man's chest.

Lots of socially maladaptive folks, clearly-

Full circle- back to spineless, mindless blobs.

LuvmyAiden
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:34 AM
1 mom liked this

I understand the real stats on homicide and general violent crime so I guess it doesn't upset me like it does most people. These things have always happened, in fact more so in decades past, but the media wasn't there to report on every single one. With national and global media a constant running stream we just know more now than we did before. Nothing goes unnoticed anymore or so it seems worse. Humans can be ugly awful creatures. I have faced that and chosen to be vigilant and trained enough to have a chance at living through something like this. IMO that's all you can do. There is no perfect world or way to make everyone sane and kind.

snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

No, I have been energized by them.  I don't want anymore kids killed.  I want protection from "law abiding" gun owners.  I want to find a way to change people's perception of safety.  I want many more specific things, but finding a larger coalition is my main objective at the moment

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:42 AM
I hope I never become jaded to killing..
snookyfritz
by Platinum Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:43 AM
1 mom liked this

No, because of the impetuous behavior of those shooting.  Of the more random and specifically untargeted victims. Because of the access of children to weapons.  Because of the disturbing trend of any and all grievances being lethally remedied.

Quoting Woodbabe:

Statistics show violent crime is actually at its lowest rates ever..including shootings. Because of the 24 hour news cycle on competing channels, they have to look for more and more news for the "If it bleeds, it leads" cycles.  It just means there's not much else going on to report about. How many shootings did we hear about during the Government shutdown? Or better yet, why are each of these individual shootings such big news but we don't hear about the numbers of shootings in say...CHICAGO every day? 

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:46 AM
3 moms liked this

In terms of people deflecting to Chicago (and it's usually the gun enthusiasts who immediately deflect), is that really the group you want to compare yourselves to? Is that apples to apples? Are all gun enthusiasts criminal thugs who care nothing about anything good, decent or moral??

Somehow, I doubt you believe that you are one and the same.

If not, stop trying to act like we should be able to extrapolate information from the 2 groups, make comparisons, and formulate a plan to curb nonsensical gun violence (outside of self defense).

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)