Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Coach sueing little leaguer who is 14yrs old? Thoughts!?

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:54 AM
  • 14 Replies

A California Little League Baseball coach who suffered a torn Achilles tendon is suing one of his former players for throwing his helmet during a game-ending celebration, according to Sacramento's KCRA-TV (h/t Barstool Sports). The kid is 14 years old.

But that isn't stopping Alan Beck from suing the child and Little League Baseball for $500,000 in pain and suffering in addition to another $100,000 in lost wages and medical bills, per the Placer County (Calif.) Superior Court summons obtained by KCRA-TV.

"At first I thought it was joke," the boy's father, Joe Paris, told his local television news station. "Now, I think it's absurd."

Paris' son allegedly tossed his helmet while scoring the winning run in a game this past spring, and the equipment struck and tore Beck's Achilles tendon.

"He is a good guy who was volunteering his time and now he's in a wheelchair. Who's the victim here?" Beck's attorney, Gene Goldman, told KCRA. "This wasn't part of the game. To have someone throw a helmet in that manner, you just don't do that."

Except the kid's in Little League, and Little Leaguers do that. All the time. Heck, Little League's own YouTube channel shows kids throwing equipment during a celebration.

Recovery from a ruptured Achilles tendon can take six months, according to WebMD.com.

Except, the Paris family has been forced to shell out more than $4,000 in legal fees two months before the case is even scheduled to be seen by a judge, according to the report. Joe Paris told KCRA he doesn't have homeowners insurance, which in some cases can cover the costs of such apparent frivolous litigiousness.

Your problem, not ours, says the plaintiff's camp, basically. "If they owned a home," Goldman told KCRA, "they should have had homeowner's insurance."

So, let this be a message to all you kids out there having fun: Don't.

- - - - - - -

I copy and pasted this from a yahoo article there is also a video but couldn't get that to work.  So what are you thoughts on this?  Granted this is from yahoo so I am sure a lot of info is missing but just thought this was so crazy!  Didn't see this posted yet so hopefully not a repeat.

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:54 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jan. 16, 2014 at 11:59 AM
1 mom liked this

WTFH, lame ass...You can tear that walking..my dh's tore away from the bone while he was enroute to a fight at work..this is why I hate people

VooDooB
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:01 PM

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:16 PM

*snort* Are they gonna garnish the kid's allowance or what?

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:23 PM
3 moms liked this

Quote:

Paris' son allegedly tossed his helmet while scoring the winning run in a game this past spring, and the equipment struck and tore Beck's Achilles tendon.

How does a tossed helmet do this?

anyway, the league he plays for should be insured. The child is not responsible.

I have a girl give me a black eye while coaching softball a few years ago, the league paid for me to go to the ER to make sure nothing was broken. The Mom offered if the league didn't pay that she would...BUT i =f she didn't offer I still wouldn't have sued the kid.

#1) you would sue the PARENTS, not the kid

#2) you assume certain risks as a coach on the field.

#3) Little league requires your league to carry insurance to cover these accidents

No one forced him to coach that team, he chose to. It is reasonable to assume you will get some injury at some point.

We also had a girl break her ankle while doing a running drill. There was a ball on the field, she didn't see it and broke her ankle ... should she sue for pain and suffering? NO.

jllcali
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:26 PM
That's bullshit. Watch any sporting event, players throw gear in celebration all the time. It's an unfortunate accident, unless they have proof the kid threw it at the coach purposely and maliciously, in which case that is assault. But since no charges are mentioned, that does not seem to be the case.

romalove
by Roma on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:27 PM

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quote:

anyway, the league he plays for should be insured. The child is not responsible.

I have a girl give me a black eye while coaching softball a few years ago, the league paid for me to go to the ER to make sure nothing was broken. The Mom offered if the league didn't pay that she would...BUT i =f she didn't offer I still wouldn't have sued the kid.

#3) Little league requires your league to carry insurance to cover these accidents

No one forced him to coach that team, he chose to. It is reasonable to assume you will get some injury at some point.

We also had a girl break her ankle while doing a running drill. There was a ball on the field, she didn't see it and broke her ankle ... should she sue for pain and suffering? NO.

My daughter broke her ankle in the field while playing softball, she stepped into a hole and turned it bad.  She also got hit in the eye throwing the ball back and forth while warming up before a rec game, I have never ever seen anything blow up so big and so fast in my life, it looked like in a cartoon.

We didn't sue anyone or anything, it's a risk of the game.

I then said.....go do something else, I am tired of taking you to the ER LOL.

jllcali
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:28 PM
That guy is a douchebag.
mygirls53
by Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:29 PM
Why is he in a w/c for that lol
Debmomto2girls
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:32 PM

The league should be insured for this.  I do not think it is okay that he is losing wages, etc but you assume some risk when coaching.

He is a douchebag for suing the kid.

sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 12:39 PM
1 mom liked this

Quoting romalove:

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Quote:

My daughter broke her ankle in the field while playing softball, she stepped into a hole and turned it bad.  She also got hit in the eye throwing the ball back and forth while warming up before a rec game, I have never ever seen anything blow up so big and so fast in my life, it looked like in a cartoon.

We didn't sue anyone or anything, it's a risk of the game.

I then said.....go do something else, I am tired of taking you to the ER LOL.

I'm an idiot, I am the 3rd base coach for 2 teams...One is a competetive travel team...it was cute when they were 8/9...Now that they are getting older (12) it's scary as HELL! lol

Twice last season I had to hit the deck! lol

My daughter usually gets hit in the head / face once a season...this year she didn't...and she's a pitcher! but we got all the infoeld wearing face masks now....some of them kids hit HARD!

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)