Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Raise the minimum wage debate

Posted by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:53 PM
  • 8 Replies

Poll

Question: Should the minimum wage be raised?

Options:

Yes to $10-11

No

Yes to $14 or more

No

No it will cause prices to rise

No small businesses cannot afford it

No, because everyone's wages have been stagnant for years

Yes but raise everyone's wages

Rainbow unicorn

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 15

View Results

This was on fb, I want you to remember this takes into account gas too.

by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 5:53 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-8):
SewingMamaLele
by Leanne on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:05 PM
No, it should not be raised. Not all wages are meant to be lived on... And I can buy a whole heckovalot more than that for $20!
Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:07 PM

yes raise it.  but i also think where you live makes a big difference.  some places no one can get by on minum wage... other cities/regions its tough but doable

Its.me.Sam.
by Gold Member on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:08 PM

it IS pretty crazy to think it takes one hour of work (after taxes) to get you a friggin half gallon of milk and a loaf of bread.  crazy.  sad.

tanyainmizzou
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:08 PM
I can get a lot more than a couple of items for 20 dollars
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
furbabymum
by on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:15 PM
1 mom liked this

My husband hasn't received a raisein the 5 years he's worked at his job. I have because my bosses are incredible. Raise minimum wage while no one else ever sees a pay increase? Hell I don't think my mother, who works for the county, has seen a pay raise in the 10 years she's worked for the county. They just aren't doing raises anymore, anywhere.

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 16, 2014 at 6:51 PM

Nope-

Keep jobs here- you know, self supporting jobs that educated people are able and willing to fill.

Increasing the minimum wage just raises the costs of goods and services.

Stop offshoring the good jobs- or filling them with foreign labor that will work for cents vs the American dollar.

Lower higher ed costs, to be competitive- people would work for less, if their education did not cost both arms and a leg-

If you have an American and a foreigner both equally qualified for a position, the American should be hired in America-

Rein in the greed- there are ways.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:50 PM

thats really sad. 

All wages get indexed here in accordance with inflation.

A 26K job 20 years ago is now a 40K job...simply because of inflation and cost of living.

The fact that wages havent moved in 10 years is just sad :-(

Quoting furbabymum:

My husband hasn't received a raisein the 5 years he's worked at his job. I have because my bosses are incredible. Raise minimum wage while no one else ever sees a pay increase? Hell I don't think my mother, who works for the county, has seen a pay raise in the 10 years she's worked for the county. They just aren't doing raises anymore, anywhere.

jehosoba84
by Jenn on Jan. 16, 2014 at 9:56 PM
1 mom liked this

If it were meant to be a 'living wage' we could call it that. It is called minimum for a reason. A living wage is what you get after years of experience or a college/tech school degree.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)