Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

App Let Kids Give 'Fat' Doll Plastic Surgery?!

Posted by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:56 AM
  • 9 Replies

App Let Kids Give 'Fat' Doll Plastic Surgery -- Who Thinks These Things Up?!

by Emily Abbate

Fat barbie app

I can't even imagine the bozo who thought  that an application slicing and dicing an "unfortunate looking" Barbie was a good idea. Apparently Apple's App Store pulled a Barbie-inspired plastic surgery app, called Plastic Surgery & Plastic Doctor & Plastic Hospital Office for Barbie Version, earlier this week after some intense backlash from Twitter. The game walked users through the extremely graphic steps of liposuction that would be performed on a chubby version of Barbie to make her look "slim and beautiful."

Seriously.

How did that all work out, you wonder? Well players could inject anesthetic, make an incision with a scalpel, and then actually suction out fat with a pump on all of Barbie's "problem areas."

And people wonder why young girls have a problem with their body image?

The fact that this app, which was approved for ages 9 years and up, would be played for "fun" makes me sick. I mean, what parent would be OK with their child playing a game where it's standard to slice a chunk out of someone's stomach to make them "beautiful," so to speak? What kind of parent would think this was a NORMAL way to spend part of a Saturday afternoon?

The answer: Not any that I know. When it comes down to it, it's a parents job to show their children that beauty doesn't just mean being thin. Beauty is about what's on the inside. Beauty is about how a person feels, and the attitude they project.

Although it may be hard filtering out some of the poor body image messaging in the media for children, it's important to reinforce the right kind of ideals in the home. It's important for them to know that there isn't one definition of beautiful.

Thankfully, the app has been pulled since the controversy.

Is this absolutely despicable or what? What else do you think contributes to young girls' insecurities?

by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:56 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:59 AM
That's just weird.
MethuenMom
by on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:59 AM

Speechless

Woodbabe
by Woodie on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:03 AM
1 mom liked this

Is it really and different from the ones that show you how to other surgeries? I remember one where they walked you through a knee replacement in cartoon fashion, you even moved the scapel to cut the skin (I didn't go further than that). Is it the moral issue? That we're not supposed to want to be skinny through surgery? And just how many 9 year olds downloaded this app and then spiralled down into depression and eating disorders from an APP?

amyasmommy2005
by Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 9:20 AM

so sad. my 8 year old daughter is already telling me she needs to diet because she is fat. i tell her everyday how beautiful she is but she still doesn't see it.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:14 AM

Oh... give her a hug for me!

Quoting amyasmommy2005:

so sad. my 8 year old daughter is already telling me she needs to diet because she is fat. i tell her everyday how beautiful she is but she still doesn't see it.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 17, 2014 at 11:24 AM

Oh my.

waldorfmom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 17, 2014 at 8:21 PM
1 mom liked this

Eww.

But I realize I'm in the minority with my conviction - after 3 children - that kids should not even HAVE these devices. They are an utter waste of time for the parents as well as the kids.

A cell phone for a child less than 16 should be a PHONE. period.

But very few parents understand the myriad harms of what we dub "technology".

Here's a great little blurb which touches on some of the deeper injuries:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5HbYScltf1c

SallyMJ
by Bronze Member on Jan. 18, 2014 at 2:05 AM

Good Lord.

Or Barbie could have eating disorders. That could be interesting. Anorexia, bulemia, compulsive overeating.

The possibilities are endless.

All4Kai_
by New Member on Jan. 19, 2014 at 7:21 PM

Wow your beautiful inside and out ! no matter what a person looks like let alone what size shape or color . We all come as different packages . Love the skin your in . whoever made That app is ridiculous what a idiot 

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured