Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Should Anything Be Done About This? Does This Concern You?

Posted by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:28 PM
  • 178 Replies

Oxfam: World's Richest 1 Percent Control Half Of Global Wealth

Local villagers scavenging  coal illegally from an open-cast mine in a village near Jharia, India, in 2012.

Local villagers scavenging coal illegally from an open-cast mine in a village near Jharia, India, in 2012.

Daniel Berehulak/Getty Images

Just 1 percent of the world's population controls nearly half of the planet's wealth, according to a new study published by Oxfam ahead of the World Economic Forum's annual meeting.

The study says this tiny slice of humanity controls $110 trillion, or 65 times the total wealth of the poorest 3.5 billion people.

Other key findings in the report:

— The world's 85 richest people own as much as the poorest 50 percent of humanity.

— 70 percent of the world's people live in a country where income inequality has increased in the past three decades.

— In the U.S., where the gap between rich and poor has grown at a faster rate than any other developed country, the top 1 percent captured 95 percent of post-recession growth (since 2009), while 90 percent of Americans became poorer.

"Oxfam is concerned that, left unchecked, the effects are potentially immutable, and will lead to 'opportunity capture' — in which the lowest tax rates, the best education, and the best healthcare are claimed by the children of the rich," the relief agency writes. "This creates dynamic and mutually reinforcing cycles of advantage that are transmitted across generations."

In other words, Oxfam says that if trends continue, the rich will get richer and the poor will get poorer.

"[People] are increasingly separated by economic and political power, inevitably heightening social tensions and increasing the risk of societal breakdown," the report says.

The World Economic Forum is scheduled to hold its annual meeting in Davos-Klosters, Switzerland, beginning Jan. 22.

The Oxfam report largely mirrors findings of several other studies in recent years that have documented growing income inequality in the U.S. and across the globe.

In September, a University of California, Berkeley study found that the wealthiest 1 percent of Americans saw their incomes grow by 31.4 percent over the period 2009 to 2012, while the other 99 percent experienced just 0.4 percent growth. Last month, the Pew Research Center published a study that found income inequality in the U.S. was at its highest since 1928, the year before the start of the Great Depression.

National Woman's Party

by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:28 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:48 PM
4 moms liked this

Those people are working the hardest.

They are the job creators.

They are the risk takers.

They deserve it to have that amount.

They also have enough money to buy government influence and policies.

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:51 PM
3 moms liked this

You know why there is a gap?  It's called welfare, and not having to work hard.  Back before welfare, either you worked your ass off or you starved.  Starvation wasn't a very appealing option, so people worked if they were physically capable of working.  This is why there is less of a divide in other countries, because they don't have as many welfare type options and are forced to work.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:54 PM
18 moms liked this

sigh...I suppose this kind of response is why we aren't doing anything about this problem people?

Quoting kailu1835:

You know why there is a gap?  It's called welfare, and not having to work hard.  Back before welfare, either you worked your ass off or you starved.  Starvation wasn't a very appealing option, so people worked if they were physically capable of working.  This is why there is less of a divide in other countries, because they don't have as many welfare type options and are forced to work.

National Woman's Party

lga1965
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 6:58 PM
8 moms liked this
The other countries have free health care though. :-) Lack of health care leads to lack of ability to stay healthy enough to work and the prospect of bankruptcy in the case of catastrophic illness. Other countries citizens don't have to worry about that.
We need universal health care to compete and protect our citizens. But some call that welfare.

Quoting kailu1835:

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:00 PM
1 mom liked this

What problem?  People who have money worked hard to get that money.  That isn't a problem, that is what is just and right.  Just because they didn't do physical labor to get it doesn't make their work any less difficult than, say, my husband's, who is a construction contractor.  If you want money, work hard.  Period.  There is no other way to get it.  The government handing out money that they don't have in the first place is not helping ANYONE.  It creates a slave culture, where we are all slave to the government.

Let me just say that if disaster hits, you know who will die off first?  All those people on welfare who have never had to work a hard day in their life because they have had everything handed to them.

Quoting NWP:

sigh...I suppose this kind of response is why we aren't doing anything about this problem people?

Quoting kailu1835:

babiesbabybaby development

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:02 PM
1 mom liked this

Not all of them do. And I am not necessarily opposed to free healthcare, if it means that we get rid of all welfare.  I am all for keeping people healthy enough to work hard.  But we cannot finance both welfare AND free health care for all.

Quoting lga1965: The other countries have free health care though. :-) Lack of health care leads to lack of ability to stay healthy enough to work and the prospect of bankruptcy in the case of catastrophic illness. Other countries citizens don't have to worry about that.
We need universal health care to compete and protect our citizens. But some call that welfare.

Quoting kailu1835:

babiesbabybaby development

Hi!  My name is Jenn!

SuperChicken
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:05 PM
9 moms liked this

I know.  If people weren't so dang lazy and worked hard like rich people do then there wouldn't be any wage gap.    There's plenty of great jobs out there and unemployment doesn't even exist in this country.   Lazy welfare bastards.  It's all their fault. 

Quoting kailu1835:

SuperChicken
by on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:06 PM
7 moms liked this

That must be why poor kids get to claim "affluenza" and get off for killing people. 

Quoting kailu1835:

What problem?  People who have money worked hard to get that money.  That isn't a problem, that is what is just and right.  Just because they didn't do physical labor to get it doesn't make their work any less difficult than, say, my husband's, who is a construction contractor.  If you want money, work hard.  Period.  There is no other way to get it.  The government handing out money that they don't have in the first place is not helping ANYONE.  It creates a slave culture, where we are all slave to the government.

Let me just say that if disaster hits, you know who will die off first?  All those people on welfare who have never had to work a hard day in their life because they have had everything handed to them.

Quoting NWP:

Quoting kailu1835:

Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:11 PM
8 moms liked this

Why are there so few decent jobs for educated people who want to work?

Why are jobs outsourced?

People want to work- this goes far beyond lazy welfare recipients. What about how corporate welfare and entitlements affect job creation...you know businesses that can actually affect policy.

Just like with the insurance debacle, people do not "get it" until they are personally affected...and then many seem so surprised.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jan. 20, 2014 at 7:14 PM
What do you propose we do?
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN