Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Humans disgust me

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:30 AM
  • 106 Replies

"CNN reports that more than 200 bottlenose dolphins remain penned in a cove by Japanese fishermen, many of them stressed and bloodied from their attempts to escape before fishermen start to slaughter them for meat. Until now, the fishermen have focused on selecting dolphins to be sold into captivity at marine parks and aquariums in Japan and overseas as twenty-five dolphins, including a rare albino calf, were taken on Saturday 'to a lifetime of imprisonment,' and another 12 on Sunday. 'Many of the 200+ Bottlenose dolphins who are in still the cove are visibly bloody & injured from their attempts to escape the killers,' one update says. Although the hunting of dolphins is widely condemned in the west, Japanese defend the practice as a local custom — and say it is no different to the slaughter of other animals for meat. The Wakayama Prefecture, where Taiji is located condemns the criticism as biased and unfair to the fishermen. 'Taiji dolphin fishermen are just conducting a legal fishing activity in their traditional way in full accordance with regulations and rules under the supervision of both the national and the prefectural governments. Therefore, we believe there are no reasons to criticize the Taiji dolphin fishery.' Meanwhile the Sea Shepherd Conservation Society describes how about40 to 60 local fishermen work with nets to divide up the pod, whose initial numbers were estimated by the group at more than 250. 'They tighten up the nets to bring each sub-group together then the skiffs push them toward the tarps. Under the tarps in the shallows is where the trainers work with the killers to select the "prettiest" dolphins which will sell and make the best pay day for the hunters,' the group says. The fishermen will 'kill the "undesirable" dolphins (those with nicks and scars) under the tarps to hide from our cameras when that time comes.'"

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:30 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
shannonnigans
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:33 AM
1 mom liked this
Count me amongst the disgusted.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
smurfbitebug
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 3:43 AM
3 moms liked this
I would be all for the outrage if we didn't not only have some penned up dolphins ourselves, but also have overfishing as an issue here.
But hey, it's pretty typical that we would want another country to change its laws to ease the strain on our moral compasses, right? We would just feel so justified in pointing out the straws in their eyes.
A-nony-mous
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:02 AM
5 moms liked this

I agree with smurfbitebug. Yes, it's horrible. But there are plenty of horrible things going on in our own backyards that few people know about that are equally bad.

The Buereau of Land Management is constantly rounding up the last of America's wild mustangs and selling them at auctions, many of which end up as slaughter horses for horse meat. Mustangs are an American icon of the wild west era and they are not being protected.

Every year hundreds of thousands of seals are slaughtered on the ice in Canada for their fur.
Parts of Canada have also done inhumane "clover trap" deer culls recently.

Alaskan farmers have almost entirely undone two decades of work and millions of dollars in donations trying to reintroduce the grey wolf to the park. Wolves went extinct after people considered them a pest but the ecosystem needs predators so they were reintroduced, only to be driven to near extinction with several formerly large packs already gone.

Bears in Canada are endangered and being removed from protection lists and habitat destroyed for logging and oil pipelines in British Columbia.

Texas just sold a hunting permit to hunt an endangered black rhino (in Namibia).

Horses, even former champions, are constantly being slaughtered in the US and Canada after putting in their lives to win people millions of dollars. Horses contributed greatly to the rise of the United States (and Canada, to a lesser extent).

Seaworld, an American company, just recently went after an orca named Morgan who had been stranded and taken in by another animal organization. She could absolutely have been rehabilitated and released back to the wild but instead Seaworld threw it's money and legal might around and had her transported to an associated park (Loro Parque in the Canary Islands), at which point she's considered a "captive whale" (not a wild one) and thus she can be transported across countrylines.

Dozens of roadside "zoos" and "attractions" still keep tigers, lions and bears in deplorable conditions in the United States. They are overbred, underfed, kept in small cages and many die this way.

Ringling Brothers has been cited numerous times for animal cruelty to their elephants. Even the owner has been caught on tape quoting that no one would want to see them training their baby elephants because it's too cruel. Yet how many people flock to the circus anyway?

These are just a few of the many many many equally cruel practices towards wild animals that we have right in our own country to worry about first.

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:30 AM

Quoting A-nony-mous:

I agree with smurfbitebug. Yes, it's horrible. But there are plenty of horrible things going on in our own backyards that few people know about that are equally bad.

The Buereau of Land Management is constantly rounding up the last of America's wild mustangs and selling them at auctions, many of which end up as slaughter horses for horse meat. Mustangs are an American icon of the wild west era and they are not being protected.

These are just a few of the many many many equally cruel practices towards wild animals that we have right in our own country to worry about first.

Not all animals are equal.

SpeciesEncephalization
Quotient
Human7.4–7.8
Bottlenose dolphin4.14
Orca2.57–3.3
Chimpanzee2.2–2.5
Rhesus monkey2.1
Elephant1.13–2.36
Dog1.2
Squirrel1.1
Cat1.00
A-nony-mous
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:38 AM

Then it's fine for us to round up and slaughter dogs and cats for meat like they do in parts of China because dogs and cats are stupid based on their EQ rating barely above a squirrel and far below humans, and thus not "equal" nor worthy of protections which should be focused on great apes and dolphins.

Sorry but EQ rating is ridiculous and basically nothing but human arrogance and ignorance. Humans might be considered "intelligent" because we can make ipads and cure diseases but we still engage in plenty of ridiculous and stupid animalistic behaviour that should render us basically lower than squirrels if humans ever acknowledged it. Coprophilia anyone? Some people like playing with their shit, just like an animal. People also rape and kill each other for basically no reason. People live in garbage and filth that many animals wouldn't even tolerate in their dens. Animals are often at least choosy in who they mate with and pretty consistently try to get the biggest, strongest and/or fastest, while many humans will fuck and reproduce with pretty much anyone and the lowest of the low quality people.

But let's just ignore all that in favor of us being able to broadcast HoneyBooBoo and Duck Dynasty and declare ourselves so much better than every other animal.

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting A-nony-mous:

Not all animals are equal.

SpeciesEncephalization
quotient
 (EQ)
Human
7.4–7.8
Bottlenose dolphin
Orca
2.57–3.3
Chimpanzee
2.2–2.5
Rhesus monkey
Elephant
1.13–2.36
Dog
Squirrel
Cat

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:44 AM

Quoting A-nony-mous:

Then it's fine for us to round up and slaughter dogs and cats for meat like they do in parts of China because dogs and cats are stupid based on their EQ rating barely above a squirrel and far below humans, and thus not "equal" nor worthy of protections which should be focused on great apes and dolphins.

I said nothing about what it is ok to do to other animals.

But yes, I do think great apes and dolphins deserve a higher level of protection.

Chimps understand death. (LINK)

And dolphins are smarter than chimps.

A-nony-mous
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:50 AM

Quoting Clairwil:

Quoting A-nony-mous:

But yes, I do think great apes and dolphins deserve a higher level of protection.

Then we'll agree to disagree. And by using EQ as your basis for whether an animal is worthy of protection you have basically admitted that most animals protected under endangered animal laws shouldn't have and are not worthy of protection, because most of those animals are not very intelligent, especially if compared to humans.

Nor does it take away from my original post which points out the clear hypocrisy of North Americans being willing to smite and judge Japanese fishermen while ignoring the constant abuses of animals right at home.

Tidy up our own homes and countries first and we might have a leg to stand on. Until then, animal IQ or EQ is irrelevant. We're abusing and eradicating a far greater variety of animals in far far FAR higher numbers than Japan every single year.

Presley77
by Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:57 AM
Yep. This. I am
Disgusted with humans from all places. I hope those involved meet an equal fate because they deserve it. I hate to be so harsh on life but those who harm do not need to persist.

Quoting A-nony-mous:

I agree with smurfbitebug.

Yes, it's horrible. But there are plenty of horrible things going on in our own backyards that few people know about that are equally bad.

Every year hundreds of thousands of seals are slaughtered on the ice in Canada for their fur.
Parts of Canada have also done inhumane "clover trap" deer culls recently.

Alaskan farmers have almost entirely undone two decades of work and millions of dollars in donations trying to reintroduce the grey wolf to the park. Wolves went extinct after people considered them a pest but the ecosystem needs predators so they were reintroduced, only to be driven to near extinction with several formerly large packs already gone.

Bears in Canada are endangered and being removed from protection lists and habitat destroyed for logging and oil pipelines in British Columbia.

Texas just sold a hunting permit to hunt an endangered black rhino (in Namibia).

Horses, even former champions, are constantly being slaughtered in the US and Canada after putting in their lives to win people millions of dollars. Horses contributed greatly to the rise of the United States (and Canada, to a lesser extent).

Seaworld, an American company, just recently went after an orca named Morgan who had been stranded and taken in by another animal organization. She could absolutely have been rehabilitated and released back to the wild but instead Seaworld threw it's money and legal might around and had her transported to an associated park (Loro Parque in the Canary Islands), at which point she's considered a "captive whale" (not a wild one) and thus she can be transported across countrylines.

Dozens of roadside "zoos" and "attractions" still keep tigers, lions and bears in deplorable conditions in the United States. They are overbred, underfed, kept in small cages and many die this way.

Ringling Brothers has been cited numerous times for animal cruelty to their elephants. Even the owner has been caught on tape quoting that no one would want to see them training their baby elephants because it's too cruel. Yet how many people flock to the circus anyway?

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:28 AM

Quoting A-nony-mous:
Quoting Clairwil:
Quoting A-nony-mous:

Then we'll agree to disagree. And by using EQ as your basis for whether an animal is worthy of protection you have basically admitted that most animals protected under endangered animal laws shouldn't have and are not worthy of protection, because most of those animals are not very intelligent, especially if compared to humans.

Nor does it take away from my original post which points out the clear hypocrisy of North Americans being willing to smite and judge Japanese fishermen while ignoring the constant abuses of animals right at home.

Tidy up our own homes and countries first and we might have a leg to stand on. Until then, animal IQ or EQ is irrelevant. We're abusing and eradicating a far greater variety of animals in far far FAR higher numbers than Japan every single year.

I'm not North American.

And I never claimed that EQ was the only relevant factor.    If you decide a particular building is worth preserving because it is a fine example of Victorian architecture, are you saying that all non-Victorian buildings are not worth preserving?

Clairwil
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:31 AM
1 mom liked this

Quoting A-nony-mous:

We're abusing and eradicating a far greater variety of animals in far far FAR higher numbers than Japan every single year. 

You'll note that I didn't title the post "Japanese disgust me".   I titled it "Humans disgust me".

I don't care where it is happening.   We, as a species, are responsible.

I could equally well have posted about the people who killed a 300 pound gorilla in order to cut the hand off, to make a novelty ashtray to sell to tourists for $5.   There are fewer than 1000 members of the species mountain gorilla (Gorilla beringei beringeileft alive.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN