Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

North Carolina school rewards Black student with a confederate hat

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:52 AM
  • 50 Replies

By Arturo Garcia
Monday, January 20, 2014 18:39 EST
North Carolina school gives Rebel cap to Black student [WGHP-TV]

A North Carolina school is backtracking after a woman objected

to a teacher rewarding a Black student with a

replica Confederate Army cap, WGHP-TV reported.

“I did not want to believe that,” Natasha Lea told WGHP regarding the hat .

“That the school actually let him walk around as an African-American child

with a Confederate cap on. This stands for a dark time in our history.”

Lea’s son, Jacob, was given the hat by a teacher at South End Elementary.

A spokesperson for Rockingham County, where the school is located,

released a statement saying it was part of a “big bucks” rewards program.

“The class had an auction where students could bid on different items

using their big bucks,” the statement read. “Many of the items are donated

by families. One of the items for bid was a grey cap with a black bill.

The cap did not feature any additional decorations.”

However, a tag inside the hat describes it as a “Confederate hat.”

“What is this hat doing in that school, period?” Lea asked WGHP.

“For any child?”

County spokesperson Karen Hyler said in the statement that officials

determined the teacher did not act maliciously in letting Jacob keep the hat.

“The school has reflected on this issue and will be sure to thoroughly screen

items donated to err on the side of caution that they could not be seen

as potentially offensive,” the statement read.

http://www.rawstory.com/...

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:52 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Sunshine257
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:55 AM
2 moms liked this
To me it is just a hat. It looks like that is what the child bid on and wanted. I understand the history and how the history is upsetting but all in all it is just a stupid hat.
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jan. 21, 2014 at 4:58 AM

Quoting Sunshine257: To me it is just a hat. It looks like that is what the child bid on and wanted. I understand the history and how the history is upsetting but all in all it is just a stupid hat.

OMG really? Just a hat?

Wow.

Sunshine257
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 5:03 AM
4 moms liked this
Why is that so surprising? It is a hat and to the child it is a hat. I don't see the big deal. If the parents are upset about the hat throw it out or sell it. Why is this news? I seriously doubt the school even knew what it was till the parents brought it to their attention. So to the school it was most likely just a hat too.

Quoting Goodwoman614:

Quoting Sunshine257: To me it is just a hat. It looks like that is what the child bid on and wanted. I understand the history and how the history is upsetting but all in all it is just a stupid hat.

OMG really? Just a hat?

Wow.

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Jan. 21, 2014 at 9:48 PM
6 moms liked this
A school in the south would not recognize a confederate hat (or replica of one)? Seriously? The civil war was kind of a big deal, especially among many southerners. Civil war reenactments are definitely not unusual in that part of the country.

Quoting Sunshine257: Why is that so surprising? It is a hat and to the child it is a hat. I don't see the big deal. If the parents are upset about the hat throw it out or sell it. Why is this news? I seriously doubt the school even knew what it was till the parents brought it to their attention. So to the school it was most likely just a hat too.

Quoting Goodwoman614:

OMG really? Just a hat?

Wow.

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:32 PM
2 moms liked this
Exactly ! It's amazing that it isn't obvious to some people. It's something learned in American History classes or even from.just watching a movie about the civil war !
Good grief.!

Quoting jllcali: A school in the south would not recognize a confederate hat (or replica of one)? Seriously? The civil war was kind of a big deal, especially among many southerners. Civil war reenactments are definitely not unusual in that part of the country.

Quoting Sunshine257: Why is that so surprising? It is a hat and to the child it is a hat. I don't see the big deal. If the parents are upset about the hat throw it out or sell it. Why is this news? I seriously doubt the school even knew what it was till the parents brought it to their attention. So to the school it was most likely just a hat too.

Quoting Goodwoman614:

OMG really? Just a hat?

Wow.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Sisteract
by Whoopie on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:35 PM
1 mom liked this

Did they pass out flags as well?

tanyainmizzou
by Platinum Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:41 PM
1 mom liked this

So he bid on the hat, but the teacher and school are at fault?

jllcali
by LoyalAndCute on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:04 PM
1 mom liked this
Well, if the school doesn't know what a confederate hat looks like, how can they expect a student to know?

It's possible the parent had a negative experience relating to confederates, etc but the child has not and that explains why the kid bid on the hat but the parent was not pleased.

Quoting tanyainmizzou:

So he bid on the hat, but the teacher and school are at fault?

nuclear_sugar
by Jaye on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:22 AM
7 moms liked this
Discipline whatever dumbass allowed the hat to be part of the raffle and be done with it..I'd bet it was a contribution from some smug-ass redneck parent who is currently having a laugh over all the controversy. The teacher probably didn't want to upset the kid and make a BIGGER deal by taking it away. But whoever failed to screen that shit before putting it on auction for a bunch of kids is the kind of stupid I have come to expect from my state, heh.
Goodwoman614
by Satan on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:33 AM
2 moms liked this

Quoting Sisteract:

Did they pass out flags as well?

Lol. Now I'm hearing banjos.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured