Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Madonna Uses 'N' Word on 13-Year-Old Son?!

Cafe Steph
Yesterday at 10:22 AM
Confession time: Who would YOU choose? - CafeMom

If you could sleep with one famous person, who would it be? (for the sake of discussion, you're both single)I think pret

Posted by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM
  • 40 Replies
1 mom liked this

Madonna Uses 'N' Word on 13-Year-Old Son & Predictably Gets Trashed

by Kiri Blakeley

Oh, Madonna. Even at 55 years old, she still manages to stir up controversy. It was only a couple of weeks ago that Madge caused a ruckus in the mommyverse when she posted a photo to Instagram of her 13-year-old son, Rocco, and a couple of his buddies holding vodka and gin bottles. That didn't go over to well, but Madonna being Madonna, that's not going to stop her from doing something else she surely knew would ruffle some feathers -- she called that same son the "N" word.

Madonna posted a photo of Rocco on Instagram in boxing gear and wrote:

No one messes with Dirty Soap! Mama said knock you out! #disn***a

Dirty Soap is some kind of nickname for Rocco, who is clearly taking boxing lessons.

The term "dis n***a" -- at least according to Urban Dictionary -- is "A term that one employs when talking about themselves or others; tone usually defines the meaning, which is typically either boasting, or insulting others."

I'm going to go with boasting here. While many on Instagram thought Madonna's language was fine, there were others who were outraged. Wrote one:

MADONNA U NEED TO TAKE UR arthritis medicine instead of trying to be hip on the internet.

Let's face it, the term "n***a" has been co-opted by the masses and generally means "pal," "friend," "dude" and the like. I hear it used all of the time by young people, white, black, and everything in between. I hear black kids call their white friends this term, I hear Asians use it with each other.

Madonna, of course, knows from where the term originated, and should know enough to know that it's still very controversial. Just ask her former pal Gwyneth Paltrow, who got in trouble for tweeting it last year and immediately got off Twitter. (Some say, however, that Gwyneth can use the word because she has a "black pass.")

It would be laughable to insinuate that Madonna is somehow racist -- obviously she is NOT. She has two black children, for goodness sakes. She's been an enormous icon and supporter of the black community.

But white people should probably just never use the word at all, given that it's too complex to figure out who has the black pass and who doesn't.

Madonna eventually took down the offending language and instead wrote:

Ok let me start this again. #get off of my dick haters!

Ah, Madonna. Stay classy, girl!

Should Madonna have known better?

by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:48 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:51 AM

I don't see the big deal. She wasn't using it in a derogatve way, she was talking about her own son and tons of people use that word everyday anyway.

NWP
by guerrilla girl on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:55 AM
1 mom liked this

I really don't care about what Madonna does or says.

lga1965
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:56 AM
She sucks. Just because you can use those words doesn't mean it's okay.
It's not cool or hip. It's "low rent".
She makes me want to vomit.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 21, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Do you feel that way about every person who uses those words?

Quoting lga1965: She sucks. Just because you can use those words doesn't mean it's okay.

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

lga1965
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:01 AM
YES,of course

Quoting paganbaby:

Quoting lga1965: She sucks. Just because you can use those words doesn't mean it's okay.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:04 AM

I thought so.

I was just checking ;-)

Quoting lga1965: YES,of course

Quoting paganbaby:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

sunnysideup89
by on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:09 AM

I don't agree with the urban dictionaries definition of nigga, but that's just me

PPCLC
by Bronze Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:11 AM

It's Madonna. It's what she does. I would not be surprised if her own PR people leaked this to the press, along with the Instagram pic that she put out there to begin with.

I think the use of the N word, particularly when used in a bigoted, derogatory way, is deplorable.

I still like Madonna. Always have.

motherslove82
by Silver Member on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:16 AM

I think she's doing this stuff to get herself back in the news. Before these two things, it had been years since I heard anything much about her. She sounds like she's trying to be the "cool mom" and talk like her teenage kids. At 55, she really just sounds silly. I mean, that's only 2 years younger than my mom. I couldn't imagine her running around talking like a teenager - and not a very smart teenager at that.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 21, 2014 at 11:17 AM

Doesn't surprise me.

I don't really care what she says.  She is going to say what she wants, regardless of what any of us think.  

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)