Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Couple Hated Obamacare Until They Were Covered by Obamacare Under a Different Name

Posted by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:01 AM
  • 10 Replies

Couple Hated Obamacare Until They Were Covered by Obamacare Under a Different Name

article image

In 2013, Jimmy Kimmel polled Americans on what they liked more, Obamacare or the Affordable Care Act.

Americans picked sides over the same law based solely on the name and were completely unaware they were being played by the comedian.

Now, Time magazine reports on an Ohio couple who didn't want anything to do with Obamacare, but now call it a "godsend."

"I don't think Obamacare will help us. I don't want anything to do with it," Stephanie Recchi told Time back in October 2013. "I hear a lot of bad things about it, that it doesn't cover pre-existing conditions and it's too expensive."

Of course, Obamacare actually banned health insurance companies from discriminating against people with pre-existing conditions.

Before Obamacare went into effect, Stephanie's husband Sean was diagnosed with cancer and was told by the MD Anderson Cancer Center in Houston, Texas how their nearly $500-a-month private health insurance plan was basically worthless.

The MD Anderson Cancer Center wanted $83,900 upfront to create a treatment plan for Sean and his first transfusion. On top of that, Sean was being charged $77 per box for gauze pads and thousands of dollars for routine lab tests.

"When they came to my office, Stephanie told me right up front, 'I don't want any part of Obamacare,'" health-insurance agent Barry Cohen told Time. "These were clearly people who don't like the president. So I kind of let that slide and just asked them for basic information and told them we would go on the Ohio exchange and show them what's available."

Apparently, the couple wasn't aware that the Ohio exchange is part of the federal Obamacare program, so they agreed to try it.

Because the couple's income was under $40,000 for 2013, they were automatically signed up for Medicaid, which is free.

"This is wonderful," said Stephanie.

Her husband won't get MD Anderson (few insurance plans in Ohio would cover the pricey Texas hospital), but Stephanie added, "We do get the Cleveland Clinic and lots of other good care."

According to The New York Times, Medicaid sign-ups in West Virginia have been sky-rocketing with low income people finally getting coverage under Obamacare.

75,000 West Virginians have signed up for Medicaid, reducing the state's uninsured number by about a third.

ACASignups.net reports that 6.2 million Americans have been signed up for Medicaid under Obamacare.

Sources: The New York Times, ACASignups.net, Time

by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 9:01 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:00 AM

That's funny. Did they ever figure it out?

mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 11:33 AM
3 moms liked this

This is sad that so many people are so brainwashed that they would turn down something to help them.

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:09 PM

So one person benefits from finally being covered while millions are screwed big time financially.  Sounds like a good plan...for the one who benefits. 

Just a few years ago, all good insurance companies would have covered MD Anderson too.  Now everybody gets worse coverage.

Not much of a win, except for those with previous conditions that could not get insured.

There had to be a better way than to screw everyone. 

lga1965
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 12:28 PM
1 mom liked this
The part that cracks me up is that some people don't like Obamacare but they're happy with the ACA !
Typical,though,of the mental midgets who bite the hand that feeds them and have no clue.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Stephanie329
by Platinum Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 3:02 PM
1 mom liked this
Idiots.
VooDooB
by weird cheese on Jan. 22, 2014 at 3:16 PM

Idiots on all sides. Awhile back the video of dozens of Liberal college students siging the petition to ban pressure cookers went viral. Another really sad one just the other day where a bunch of people were asked to sign a petition helping Obama in sending ‘care packages’ to muslim al-Qaeda rebels in Syria. Don't forget the one where they all signed to legalize abortion after childbirth. That was fun.

Idiots on ALL sides can be found everywhere.

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 3:57 PM
1 mom liked this

There was also a well publicized one where students signed a Thank You card they thought was for the IRS for targetting conservative groups.  Sheep exist on both sides of the aisle but shhhhhhhhhhhh, don't tell certian ladies here, they are convinced their side are saints to the other "sides' demons

Quoting VooDooB:

Idiots on all sides. Awhile back the video of dozens of Liberal college students siging the petition to ban pressure cookers went viral. Another really sad one just the other day where a bunch of people were asked to sign a petition helping Obama in sending ‘care packages’ to muslim al-Qaeda rebels in Syria. Don't forget the one where they all signed to legalize abortion after childbirth. That was fun.

pippi311
by on Jan. 22, 2014 at 4:02 PM
4 moms liked this

This sounds about right. Many people hate Obamacare and want it to fail, without really knowing the details of the plan or giving it a chance to work, simply because it came from this president. It is sad to me.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:05 PM

That's terrible LOL!

Quoting VooDooB:

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

terpmama
by Bronze Member on Jan. 22, 2014 at 6:24 PM

My favorites are the "ban dihydrogen monoxide" ones and I think it was jimmy Fallon that did a "person on the street" thing and asked if people preferred obamacare or aca... Some of the responses (both sides) were sad.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured