Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Seattle teen says he was fired from job after wearing Broncos jersey to work

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:53 AM
  • 27 Replies
1 mom liked this
Hope you don't mind my super-bowl related hot topics this week :-) Big Seahawks fan, so I'm like a lottery winner that has been broke for so long....

Seattle teen says he was fired from job after wearing Broncos jersey to work

Published January 22, 2014/
FoxNews.com

A Seattle-area teen says he was sent home and later fired after he wore a Broncos jersey instead of a Seahawks jersey to his job at a local family fun center.

KING5 reports 17-year-old Nathaniel Wentz claims his employer, Odyssey 1 family entertainment center, told its workers they could wear football jerseys to support their team in the NFL playoffs Sunday.

Wentz, a diehard Broncos fan and a high school quarterback, tells the station he wore a Denver jersey to support his squad in its matchup against the New England Patriots. However, Wentz says his boss told him only Seahawks jerseys were allowed and he must go home and change.

Wentz’ father Daniel told the station he called Odyssey 1 and asked to speak with the owner about the situation before his son returned to work. The owner never called back according to Daniel Wentz, so his son stayed home.

Nathaniel Wentz later was informed he was being fired for not returning to work. He says he thinks Odyssey 1 was being unreasonable.

"It was all about you can’t. You can’t represent your team. There’s something wrong with that," he told KING5.

Odyssey 1 said in a Facebook posting that its employees only had the option of wearing a Seahawks jersey or a standard uniform, not any jersey they chose.

Nathaniel Wentz told KING5 that the silver lining to the situation is he will not have to work on Super Bowl Sunday, when his Broncos take on the Seahawks in the big game.

Click for more from KING5.
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:53 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 8:54 AM
Source:
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2014/01/22/seattle-teen-says-was-fired-from-job-after-wearing-broncos-jersey-to-work/
snookyfritz
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:00 AM

Isn't that stinky? 

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:00 AM
1 mom liked this
Technically he was fired for not coming back to work. Either way, the employer did nothing wrong under Washington state law.

And this happened in Tacoma. Tacoma is not Seattle. ;-)
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
snookyfritz
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:01 AM
7 moms liked this

Oh, and GO BRONCOS!

supercarp
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM

He was fired for not returning to work.

stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:05 AM
Is the teen from Seattle? Either way, I agree with you, he wasn't fired for being a broncos fan, he was out of uniform and was being a punk.
ETA, being a punk for not returning to work, not for wearing the broncos jersey

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom: Technically he was fired for not coming back to work. Either way, the employer did nothing wrong under Washington state law.

meriana
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:08 AM

Sounds like Odyssey 1 didn't make the "you can wear a jersey to work" rules clear at all. As for the kid, he was told to go change which indicates they expected him to return otherwise they would have just told him to go home. There's fault on both sides here.  

JakeandEmmasMom
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:08 AM
1 mom liked this
I can't imagine he's from Seattle. That would be quite a commute for a teenager working a part time job. I think it's more likely that Fox just doesn't know the difference. ;-)

Quoting stringtheory: Is the teen from Seattle? Either way, I agree with you, he wasn't fired for being a broncos fan, he was out of uniform and was being a punk.

Quoting JakeandEmmasMom: Technically he was fired for not coming back to work. Either way, the employer did nothing wrong under Washington state law.

Posted on CafeMom Mobile
survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:55 AM

Ok now I have to admit that my SIL takes off his steelers jersey before coming to my house but its a private home, thats different lol.  If thats why he was fired thats wrong.

survivorinohio
by René on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:57 AM

Thats different, sorry I skimmed.  You must wear the uniform...

Quoting stringtheory: Is the teen from Seattle? Either way, I agree with you, he wasn't fired for being a broncos fan, he was out of uniform and was being a punk.

How far you go in life depends on your being: tender with the young, compassionate with the aged, sympathetic with the striving and tolerant of both the weak and strong.  Because someday in life you would have been one or all of these.  GeorgeWashingtonCarver

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Featured