Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Proposed Missouri Bill Could Force Retailers to Remain Closed on Holidays

Posted by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:15 AM
  • 47 Replies

JEFFERSON CITY- A bill introduced in the Missouri House Wednesday could force all retail businesses to close on Christmas, Thanksgiving and Easter Sunday. The bill does not yet specifically list which kinds of stores would be forced to keep their doors closed on the holidays, but by restricting retail stores, it would include anything from grocery stores, convenience stores and gas stations. Rep. Keith English, D-St. Louis County, proposed the bill as a way to keep families together on the holidays and relieve workers of their holiday duties. "There were two things I was trying to get at," Rep. English said. "One, minimum wage workers are having to endure long hours and endure the craziness of sales and people coming in, and trying to get them a living wage where they're at--which is being worked on at the federal level to increase minimum wage--but also family values." Committee members who oppose the bill said it could hurt the Missouri economy by pushing shoppers into neighboring states or online. Lawmakers also expressed concern about workers who like working the holiday hours so they can make more money. KOMU interviewed shoppers today who said the bill may not be in the consumer's or business' best interest. "I think that would be a terrible thing for the consumer," Columbia shopper Jaquelyn Thomas said. "I think the business people do it because they need the business and I think it would hurt the market." The bill is still being debated by a House committee, and a has a way to go before it could become a law.

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:15 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
gdiamante
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Considering there are a lot of workers who WANT to work holidays, this bill could lead to more problems than good things.

tanyainmizzou
by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:37 AM

I agree.    Or what if someone wakes up sick on one of these holidays and needs medicine?

Quoting gdiamante:

Considering there are a lot of workers who WANT to work holidays, this bill could lead to more problems than good things.

smalltowngal
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:13 AM

Quoting gdiamante:

There are a lot of people who don't consider these days holidays too. I think it's a bad idea. 

LoveMyBoyK
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:17 AM

It's good to know MO is so flush and problem free that LEGISLATING family values is their top priority.  Idiots. 

PPCLC
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:23 AM

I completely disagree with this proposed bill.

There are people who actually voluntarily choose to work on holidays. Better pay possibilities to even letting their co-workers with kid's have a break for that day.

Being open on a holiday should be the least of the worries for this state. For any state, should this bill be successful and other states decided to model a proposed bill after it.

UpSheRises
by Platinum Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:29 AM
2 moms liked this

I don't feel comfortable legislating under the guise of protecting family values.

What if our families don't have the same values?

Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:33 AM
If the stores aren't open today then people will shop tomorrow.

i used to be one of those workers who volunteered to work holidays. I was away at college 1,000 miles from family while others i worked with had their family right there. Now i have my own family here, but i quit my retail job right before Christmas so i could have the time off.
rotPferd
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:36 AM

I'll admit I like it cuz I work in retail. The only holidays we get holiday pay is Christmas and Easter. The only day we are closed is Christmas Day (rumor has it this will change next year). I would much rather have the day off and still get 8 hr holiday pay than work it and maybe get an extra $80 for that one check out of the year.

colins_mom
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:38 AM
I.volunteer to work holidays because i cant pay bills around Christmas otherwise.

I hate working on Easter though, we dont get holiday pay for that day. So i wouldn't mind being closed.for.that one.
babie113
by Silver Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 10:40 AM
I think its stupid .some people want to work on holidays .and family values differ from family to family .
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN