Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Suspect in 11-Year-Old's Brutal Murder Is Just 14 Years Old

Posted by   + Show Post

Suspect in 11-Year-Old's Brutal Murder Is Just 14 Years Old

by Jeanne Sager

butcher kinfeThere is really no easy way to talk about the tragic news coming out of Chicago today, so let's talk about what we know for sure. An 11-year-old girl was stabbed to death. A 14-year-girl has been arrested and charged with first-degree murder (as a juvenile). And police in the Windy City say the deceased was stabbed a total of 40 times.

Forty. Times.

This is not child's play, not some little fight gone terribly wrong.

What police are describing is a brutal killing, a crime of passion, a crime of off-the-scale rage.

The 11-year-old's autopsy apparently revealed 30 stab wounds across the neck, chest, and arms, plus defensive wounds on the hands, bruises on the chest, and slash marks across the child's face. The two girls, relatives, were allegedly home alone together at the time of the incident, and police believe the 11-year-old was killed shortly before the 14-year-old called 911 to report that the other child had been hurt.

I realize I say this any time a child is accused of a violent crime, but this isn't how the world is SUPPOSED to work. I'm not naive enough to think it doesn't; I'm simply optimistic enough to hope that reports like this are exceptions that prove the rule, that kids in general are still good.

That children don't kill.

Isn't that how we all are? We see these things on Law & Order: SVU, and we take comfort in the notion that it's "just for TV."

Naive or not, that's the way I'd prefer life. I don't want to start looking at every 14-year-old girl I meet and wondering, "Does she have it in her to stab her relative, a mere child, 40 times?" She should be thinking about algebra, a school dance, going out for the softball team ... not murder.

Obviously, when a 14-year-old stands accused of first-degree murder, we need to talk about it. There needs to be a conversation about the hows and the whys, if only to prevent future tragedy.

But let us not lose ourselves in the details here. Let us not become a nation where we become inured to the horror, where these types of crimes cease to shock us.

What is your honest reaction to this horror? Do you feel like we're hearing these stories more and more?

by on Jan. 23, 2014 at 9:21 AM
Replies (11-20):
Chaos1229
by Tasha on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:45 PM
What the hell is happening lately smh.
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:51 PM

I just read this to my 14 year old who is home sick.

Now we both feel sick to our stomachs.

free1
by ~FreeSpirit~ on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:56 PM

'the deceased was stabbed total of 40 times. '

So much anger and rage within... Surely there had to be warnings signs.

So Sad.

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 2:56 PM

This is so sad. I will never understand how anyone at any age could kill someone, my heart goes out to the mother of these girls and yes when I read stories like these I am shocked, but we hear about them more because information is available so quick

Carpy
by Ruby Member on Jan. 23, 2014 at 5:09 PM
2 moms liked this
Thankfully, she didn't have access to a gun.
la_bella_vita
by Bella on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:45 PM

Yikes : (

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 23, 2014 at 11:47 PM
2 moms liked this
"The 11-year-old's autopsy apparently revealed 30 stab wounds across the neck, chest, and arms, plus defensive wounds on the hands, bruises on the chest, and slash marks across the child's face."

Thankfully. *~*

Quoting Carpy: Thankfully, she didn't have access to a gun.
alc4evermom
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:50 AM

I wonder if there had ever been any indication that the fourteen year old had violent tendencies?  The mental illness bandwagon gets old.  Some people are just evil, and that is the difference. Even if you are mentally ill, the actual percent of people who are actually insane and have no concept of their actions is very small;  most people even though "sick" have self control.  

I do think that kids are capable of killing, and in some war torn countries kids start killing at a young age.  It's a forgein concept to us.  One of my neighbor kids shot my cat and I didn't press charges because his parents were as dumb as doorknobs and I felt guilty about getting him started in the system----then I realized over time that he is evil.  I wonder if the parents in this situation are dumb as doorknobs too?  I think it's really sad.  

Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 8:32 AM
1 mom liked this

What a cynical, asshole comment, Carpy.

Don't you have a group to fake moderate or something?

Quoting Carpy: Thankfully, she didn't have access to a gun.

Kate_Momof3
by Silver Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 8:40 AM
1 mom liked this

We recently had a horrible murder in our community where a woman was brutally attacked by her son with a knife. It was so horrific that it made international headlines (until something else diverted the media's attention).

The similarities between his story and Adam Lanza's are frightening. So much so that there was a collective sigh of relief throughout the town that he didn't have access to an aresenal. His mother was a wonderful woman who did what she could to get her clearly mentally ill son the help and resources he needed and was stonewalled every step of the way. Consquently, she was forced to live with a ticking time bomb because he had no where to go.

I suspect the mother of this girl was faced with a similar situation.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)