Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Columbine High School Put on ‘Lockout’ After Sick False Threats Were Made

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM
  • 6 Replies

Columbine High School Put on ‘Lockout’ After Sick False Threats Were Made

by Jenny Erikson

Columbine High School, the scene of the 1999 mass shooting that killed a teacher and 12 students, was placed on lockout Thursday after telephone threats were made to the school.

According to officials, threats were made around 10 a.m. local time, and the school was locked down for several hours while police investigated the scene. This measure prevented anyone from entering or leaving the school and increased police presence on campus. Much to the students’ disappointment, classes remained in session.

After several hours of searching, the threats were determined to be neither credible nor local, and everything was back to business as normal.

But this is the part that gets me -- Jefferson County Sheriff’s Office spokesman Mark Techmeyer said that threats to Columbine High School are not uncommon.

Does this make anyone else mad? Nearly 15 years ago, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold stormed through the school shooting at classmates before they turned the guns on themselves. Our entire nation grieved the massacre, and it was one of the most notorious mass shootings until Adam Lanza opened fire on first graders at Sandy Hook Elementary just over a year ago.

False threats are sick and wrong in general, but to do it to a school that has been through such a tragedy already is a special kind of messed up.

Does it surprise you to know threats to Columbine are not unusual?

by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:16 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-6):
LindaClement
by Thatwoman on Jan. 24, 2014 at 12:08 PM

It doesn't surprise me at all. I knew a lot of Bart Simpson characters growing up, and their sense of humour would definitely provoke them to do this kind of thing...

kailu1835
by Ruby Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:37 PM

It isn't any more common than any other school where kids make bomb threats and other kinds of threats to get out of having to go to school.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 24, 2014 at 2:38 PM

No, it does not surprise me.  There are sick people in this world, those who get off on making these threats.  

Columbine will always be an easy target for these people.

nana776
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 6:57 PM

I guess I found it a little surprising. That takes a special kind of degenerate to do that.

Lyzmom
by Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 7:09 PM
Not surprising, but disgusting. I wish people would leave that school alone.
I was in Littleton in 1999. My boyfriends sister was a senior at Columbine. My neighbor was Isaiah Shoels. I still get emotional about that day.
Bonita131
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 2:09 AM

When a country is so lax on gun control & where gun crazed citizens, including unstable citizens are permitted to wear/carry guns pretty well anywhere, even in places where sticks that hold American flags are not permitted as the sticks could be used as "weapons", & where shootings have become commonplace, I'm not surprised at all.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)