Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Junior high school's "Smiling Vagina" Mural

Posted by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM
  • 103 Replies
1 mom liked this

How would you feel about this being in your child's middle school?

link

Smiling Vagina School Mural Lives To Smile Another Day

There's nothing that brightens the day more than a smiling vagina. However, a street artist's rendition of a smiling vagina painted on the staircase of a junior high school in Sweden has sparked a heated debate about censorship. 

The mural is the work of Gothenburg-based graffiti and mural artist Carolina Falkholt, who features vaginas frequently in her work.  But the placement of this particular vagina was deemed inappropriate by local politicians and last week, the municipal head of children, youth and cultural affairs in Nykoping announced that a decision had been made to paint over the mural. 

A social media backlash ignited and Falkholt's Facebook page was flooded with notes of support, including one fan who asked "Isn't art supposed to stir emotion?" Other fans found it incomprehensible that a smiling vagina on school grounds could possibly be found offensive. 

Over the weekend, local officials gave the vagina a stay of execution when they said they were willing to engage in debate as to whether the work was appropriate for a junior high school where 13 to 15-year-old students roam the campus. 

Meanwhile, educators apparently have thrown their support behind the smiling vagina. The school's principal said he would like to keep the mural. Harke Steenbergen, who will be running the Tessin school which opens this summer, said he likes the art and "its message," adding "I see many pedagogic advantages to having her art in the school." Pedagogic for those with weaker vocabularies means "educational." 

The teachers were backed up by local Left Party politician, Conny Jakobsson, who also happens to be the vice-chair on the culture and leisure committee in Nykoping.  Jakobsson told a local paper, "Should we censor this just because it depicts female genitalia? Maybe the students think this is a really cool thing, that they have a school that dares!" 

Strangely enough, nobody cited the smiling vagina as a possible break though method to counter the effects of gynophobia

Sexy If its unladylike, fattening or fun, I'm in!

by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 10:55 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
lga1965
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:21 AM
Ewwww
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:25 AM
1 mom liked this

Good points made in the article but honestly, this isn't appropriate at a middle school.

paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:26 AM
1 mom liked this

I don't know, I kinda like it,lol.

It wouldn't bother me to see it at my daughters school.

JoshRachelsMAMA
by JRM on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:27 AM
Sweden? IDC.
stringtheory
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:28 AM
Agree.

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Good points made in the article but honestly, this isn't appropriate at a middle school.

sheramom4
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:30 AM
1 mom liked this

I am not for censorship, I appreciate art (my husband is an artist).....that particular painting, while beautiful, does not belong in a middle school. Would there be as much support for the painting if it was of a penis? Or a couple engaged in a sex act? 

There are yu at so,e things that do not belong displayed in a school.

meriana
by Platinum Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM
2 moms liked this

Not at all appropriate for a middle school.  I can just hear the boys, "come on over, I'll make your vagina smile" or something of that nature. The fact something is art does not automatically make it appropriate for all venues

AlekD
by Gold Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:40 AM
What on earth....
VinVanMom
by Bronze Member on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:41 AM
1 mom liked this
More appropriate for the restroom area
lga1965
by on Jan. 24, 2014 at 11:48 AM
1 mom liked this
Isn't that a smiling vulva, anyway ?
Whatever...it's not appropriate.
Posted on CafeMom Mobile
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)