Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

How do you feel about this one?

Posted by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:45 AM
  • 44 Replies

Poll

Question: Do you think this law should be changed?

Options:

Yes. The attacker should have no right whatsoever to the child!

No. That is his child too and he should be able to have visitation!

Other - Explain.

Only group members can vote in this poll.

Total Votes: 58

View Results

OK  Now imagine this. 

#1. You  are home alone  and a guy breaks in your house and   beats you  unconscious  and rapes you.   Or that  guy  you  met at the bar who seemed so sweet  and you  invited  him  in  but then  he  turned psycho on you... or  some  guy  grabbed  you    while you  came out of a store  or    while on a jog through the park.  Say  they  beat  you  so badly   you  honestly  thought you would die  before  during and after the rape.    Then a month later  you  find out  you  are pregnant  with his child.  You deliberate between  having  an abortion  or  putting  the child up  for adoption.  You  decide   on adoption  but  when the baby is born  you  feel  that you  can't  give it up  so  you  take him/her home.      The perpetrator is caught tried and sent to prison.    About  6 months later  you  receive a letter  in the mail from an attorney  saying   your attacker  has petitioned the court  for visitation  and won  and you  must comply.  Now  you  have  to take the baby to the prison  for  his visitation  and you  can't do anything  about it.  How would you feel?  Then  when  he gets  out  he will have regular   visitation   that after  his  probation  is  up   does  not have to be supervised.

#2.  The whole scenario   as #1.  Only this time   the victim  is your 12 year old daughter  who  was raped and beaten  within  an inch of her life.

by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 2:45 AM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 25, 2014 at 11:28 AM
Wondering why the emphasis on the beating. Women are raped every day without being beaten. With that said, I will acknowledge that it has been a mans world for a long long time.
LauraKW
by "Dude!" on Jan. 25, 2014 at 11:30 AM
Wondering why the emphasis on the beating. Women are raped every day without being beaten. With that said, I will acknowledge that it has been a mans world for a long long time.
jllcali
by on Jan. 25, 2014 at 11:57 AM
I can't find any hard info as to whether or not in Texass a rapist has parental rights to a child conceived by rape, but given that in Texass if a man beats his wife/partner, even if it is in the child's presence and the child was close enough to be struck during the assault, it is not considered relevant in determining custody, I would not be surprised if rapists have parental rights in Texass. And if a man assaults his wife/partner, and she fights back, she will often get arrested if she leaves a mark on him. Unless if course she kills him.
EireLass
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 4:01 PM
7 moms liked this
Pretty hard for a dead man to visit his child.
mikiemom
by Ruby Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 4:08 PM
1 mom liked this

No I do not think someone convicted of Rape should ever have rights to any child produced by that Rape.

ashellbell
by shellbark on Jan. 25, 2014 at 4:57 PM

Nope. I'd be out of the country.

Bonnie_
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 5:46 PM

Quoting LauraKW: Wondering why the emphasis on the beating. Women are raped every day without being beaten. With that said, I will acknowledge that it has been a mans world for a long long time.

The reason  a beating  was specified  was  that  , that would be the worst case scenario.  Something  the victim  would  have the deepest  emotional scars  from.   With a a seductive rape there are emotional scars too.  That's obvious..   Guilt... shame.    But  add the physical  violence on top of it  where the threat of death  was eminent,  how much  harder  would it be to turn over  your child to this person?  Women  from abusive relationships  already have to turn over their  chidren   for visitation  to their exes.  How much harder would  it be to do so to someone  to whom their  only  experience  has been  fear and pain?

Karmahappens
by Bronze Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 5:47 PM
2 moms liked this

Since I would take plan B , it is highly unlikely this would be an issue-and my kid at 12 would sure as HELL take plan B.

Ms.KitKat
by Platinum Member on Jan. 25, 2014 at 5:58 PM

This is another reason why women under report. And why the rapist even if known, is never named.

But sadly yes, I was very well aware of this. That is why when in the case of adoption, not only are the birth mother's rights terminated, but a judicial termination of parental rights is entered on the birthfather (aka rapist) as well.

turtle68
by Mahinaarangi on Jan. 25, 2014 at 6:05 PM

Quoting Ms.KitKat:

This is another reason why women under report. And why the rapist even if known, is never named.

But sadly yes, I was very well aware of this. That is why when in the case of adoption, not only are the birth mother's rights terminated, but a judicial termination of parental rights is entered on the birthfather (aka rapist) as well.

so if you were raped and lived in one of these 31 states...adoption would be the better choice for the child :-( that is sad.

If you were raped in one of these states and moved and had the baby in another state...who would win out, the mother, the child or the father?

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN