Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Half of American fans say 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events

Posted by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 2:33 PM
  • 9 Replies

Half of American fans say 'supernatural' forces are in play during sports events

So do you say a little prayer during a pivotal play or wear lucky socks during a big game? You are not alone.

“Just ahead of the 2014 Super Bowl, 50 percent of sports fans see some aspect of the supernatural at play in sports, meaning they either pray to God to help their team, have thought their team was cursed at some point in time, or believe that God plays a role in determining the outcome of sporting events,” reports a new survey conducted by the Public Religion Research Institute, a nonpartisan, non-profit group based in the nation’s capital.

A fervent 26 percent of the respondents say they have prayed that “for God to help their team”, while an equal number have entertained the notion that their team was “cursed.”

The gridiron tends to bring out this behavior.

“Football fans are also more likely than other fans to say they pray for their team (33 percent ), perform pre-game or game-time rituals (25 percent), or to believe that their team has been cursed (31 percent).

White evangelical Protestants (38 percent), white mainline Protestant (33 percent) and minority Protestant (29 percent) sports fans are considerably more likely than Catholic (21 percent) or religiously unaffiliated (15 percent) fans to say they have prayed for their team, the survey found.

Twenty one percent have either a special ritual or a lucky item of clothing they associated with a big game. Another 22 percent say that God “plays a role in which team wins a sporting event.”

And interesting: 48 percent agree that “God rewards athletes who have faith with good health and success.” Forty seven percent disagreed with this idea, however.

“More than 6-in-10 white evangelical Protestants (62 percent) and minority Protestants (65 percent) believe that God rewards athletes. Half of Catholics, 44 percent of white mainline Protestants and only 22 percent of religiously unaffiliated Americans believe that God rewards athletes who have faith,” the pollster says.

The survey of 1,011 adults was conducted Jan. 8-12. - Washingtontimes

by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 2:33 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-9):
motha2daDuchess
by Bruja on Jan. 26, 2014 at 2:37 PM

I don't think superstition and super natural are one in the same...

It's only weird if it doesnt work

SpiritFortress
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 2:46 PM

weirdos

fireangel5
by Gold Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 3:00 PM
1 mom liked this

Well, I say I don't believe in superstition but whenever the Hawks are losing and haven't scored, I chant "shutout shutout" to curse the oppsing teams goalie :) It seems to work lol

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:04 PM
1 mom liked this

It is only weird if it doesn't work.

I will try any thing if I think it will work. 

lol

Supernatural is not the same as being superstitious.

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:04 PM

Quoting SpiritFortress:

weirdos

Well, isn't that a well thought out reply.

SpiritFortress
by Bronze Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:16 PM

Oh, I'm sorry my reply wasn't wordy enough for you. Why expound on something which can be so easily summed up with one word? 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting SpiritFortress:

weirdos

FromAtoZ
by AllieCat on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:18 PM

Quoting SpiritFortress:

Oh, I'm sorry my reply wasn't wordy enough for you. Why expound on something which can be so easily summed up with one word? 

Quoting FromAtoZ:

Quoting SpiritFortress:

weirdos

Of course.   

TranquilMind
by Platinum Member on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:30 PM

That's just ridiculous.  God does not favor one college or pro team over another or reward athletes more than anyone else who does what He says.   The scriptures say that God is no respector of persons.  He does respond to faith but not selfish goals, I think. 

I don't even pray for my OWN kid to win. I do pray that all are safe though. 

lga1965
by on Jan. 26, 2014 at 4:48 PM
1 mom liked this

LOL. Sure.

It is JUST a football game...or hockey...or basketball..etc. Grown ups, throwing balls , hitting balls,rolling them, and  I sure wouldn't be silly enough to pray about that.

There's no way I would be superstitious or feel that there is anything "supernatural" featured in sporting events.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)