Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

If you ever needed a reason to hate Disney Channel here's one! Video on page 3

Posted by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:00 PM
  • 118 Replies

I read this on my FB.

If you ever needed a reason to hate Disney Channel here's one! On a recent episode they featured a lesbian couple! And I thought this was suppose to be a children to teen channel not an channel with adult topics! Ugh!!! — feeling disappointed.
Apparently Good Luck Charlie featured lesbian parents tonight.
On one hand, I'm really happy they made the jump to show different types of families, but on the other, I'm very sad that my bil holds this point of view :-(

Good Luck Charlie’ Introduces Disney Channel’s First Same-Sex Couple

Mon, January 27, 2014 11:14am EST by 105 Comments 18,874 Article Views

Watch ‘Good Luck Charlie’ make television history, introducing the network’s first lesbian couple.

Some sitcoms go out with a whimper, but not Good Luck Charlie! On the Disney Channel comedy’s penultimate episode — the two-part series finale airs Feb. 16 — viewers were introduced to Susan and Cheryl, the first confirmed same-sex couple ever to appear on the kid-oriented network.

“Taylor has two moms!” proclaimed Bob (Eric Allan Kramer), upon meeting the two women, to which sassy wife Amy (Leigh Allyn Baker) responded, “Wow! Nothing gets past you, Bob.”

This is a huge move for Disney Channel, which has never featured an openly gay character, much less a same-sex couple — no matter what everyone may have speculated about High School Musical‘s Ryan Evans.

The icing on the cake for HollywoodLife.com was seeing Awkward star Desi Lydic as one of the moms!

Disney Channel Aims To ‘Reflect Themes Of Diversity And Inclusiveness’

Though the introduction of a lesbian couple is, naturally, being met with some opposition from conservative watch groups, Disney Channel stands by its decision. The characters were meant to reflect today’s world, as many viewers are young children with same-sex parents.

“This particular storyline was developed under the consultancy of child development experts and community advisors,” a spokesperson for Disney Channel said when the casting was first announced in June 2013. “Like all Disney Channel programming, it was developed to be relevant to kids and families around the world and to reflect themes of diversity and inclusiveness.”

HollywoodLifers, are you glad that Disney Channel took this huge step in introducing its first same-sex couple to viewers? Drop a comment with your thoughts on the network’s bold move below.

by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:00 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
Lax5
by Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:08 PM
1 mom liked this
Good for them! We already have all first run episodes recording. Definitely will be watching! Thanks for the heads up! Equality:)
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:10 PM

I was really happy to read that too!

Quoting Lax5: Good for them! We already have all first run episodes recording. Definitely will be watching! Thanks for the heads up! Equality:)

I will not have a temper tantrum nor stomp across the floor.

I will not pout, scream or shout or kick against the door.

I will not throw my food around nor pick upon another.

I’ll always try to be real good because I am the mother.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

LiveinJoy
by on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:14 PM
Big ups to Disney
Firenygirl180
by Bronze Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:17 PM
2 moms liked this
I love good luck Charlie! I'm glad Disney is moving in this direction.

And the moms sat on a couch and talked, that was it. Still completely family friendly.
MeAndTommyLee
by Gold Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:40 PM
5 moms liked this

Another great reason not to have cable television.  I could care less who marries whom, however as a parent I control at what ages I wish to discuss societal issues with my children.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:40 PM
10 moms liked this
Were people expecting the lesbian couple to come out as total stereotypes? Ones the "normal" lipstick lesbian while the other is in flannel and doc martens, carrying a running chainsaw in one hand and a box of tampons in the other? Oh no! The man of the house has a vagina! Don't look behind you, anyone, you'll surely be turned into a pillar of salt!
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:42 PM
3 moms liked this

How would/do you handle your kids seeing same sex couples in real life?

Quoting MeAndTommyLee:

Another great reason not to have cable television.  I could care less who marries whom, however as a parent I control at what ages I wish to discuss societal issues with my children.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:44 PM
Whoops, I accidentally deleted my first reply when I meant to change my autocorrect. Sorry pagan.
paganbaby
by Teflon Don on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:47 PM

I forgive you I guess... ;-)

Quoting AdrianneHill: Whoops, I accidentally deleted my first reply when I meant to change my autocorrect. Sorry pagan.

I am the mother.

I am the mother.

AdrianneHill
by Platinum Member on Jan. 27, 2014 at 10:51 PM
1 mom liked this
Hey, at least I put it back up there and this time, I was able to add extra "clever" in there. So good times were had by all. Or could be had.
Damn auto correct. One day, I'm not going to edit at all and let that schizo word salad get posted and let people try to glean some meaning it if that wackiness.

Quoting paganbaby:

I forgive you I guess... ;-)

Quoting AdrianneHill: Whoops, I accidentally deleted my first reply when I meant to change my autocorrect. Sorry pagan.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)