Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Current Events & Hot Topics Current Events & Hot Topics

Racism?

Posted by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:20 PM
  • 56 Replies

So I sent my husband to pick up a prescrption at the pharmacy. He's Mexican and we have a Mexican last name, obviously. He gets there and they tell him the script had already been picked up. My husband knows this can't be true as I sent him to get it so obviously I didn't get it myself. He argues but they insist it was already picked up and they even have a signature for it. So my white ass has to go to the pharmacy to deal with this issue. They were completely kind to me, told me they'd given the script to someone else by mistake. To be exact they told me they gave it to "some spanish guy who didn't speak any english". They gave me the script and off I went. Why couldn't they do that for my husband? What the hell just happened here? I can't decide if they're just assholes or if they're racist assholes.

by on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:20 PM
Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Replies (1-10):
sweet-a-kins
by Emerald Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:21 PM
3 moms liked this

Yes and it you weren't sure...this cleared it right up

To be exact they told me they gave it to "some spanish guy who didn't speak any english".

I hope you complain to whoever will listen, that is actually a HIPPA violation

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:24 PM

Well the pharmacist knows me from my work. He knows I work for lawyers. So I was talking to the pharm tech and she was being very helpful and was already going to fill the script for me but when he saw me it was all over. He knew I knew and he tried everything in his power to avoid my taking action.

Quoting sweet-a-kins:

Yes and it you weren't sure...this cleared it right up

To be exact they told me they gave it to "some spanish guy who didn't speak any english".

I hope you complain to whoever will listen, that is actually a HIPPA violation

pamelax3
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:30 PM
1 mom liked this

So how would this be racist? Did the pharm tech know your husband or so they just know you?

Seasidegirl
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:33 PM
1 mom liked this

Wait. They gave a prescription to the wrong guy because they assumed he was your husband because he "didn't speak any English?"

I would report this.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:33 PM

The pharm tech does not know me at all. The pharmacist does. The tech was already being helpful when the pharmacist saw me. Neither was helpful to my husband. Why did they not offer him the same courtesy?

Quoting pamelax3:

So how would this be racist? Did the pharm tech know your husband or so they just know you?

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:33 PM

It's not racist.  What they did do is not ID the person properly. However, giving your prescription that is made to you and giving to your husband could be violating Hippa laws as well then.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

Oh yeah. Plus they better pray whoever they gave it to isnt' allergic or having a reaction.

Quoting Seasidegirl:

Wait. They gave a prescription to the wrong guy because they assumed he was your husband because he "didn't speak any English?"

I would report this.

numbr1wmn
by Nikki on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:34 PM
1 mom liked this

What would be racist is if they wouldn't give your prescription to your husband because he was mexican. Not because he said a spanish person picked up the prescription. I hope you understand the difference.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:36 PM

The script was for our child.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

It's not racist.  What they did do is not ID the person properly. However, giving your prescription that is made to you and giving to your husband could be violating Hippa laws as well then.

furbabymum
by Gold Member on Jan. 29, 2014 at 1:38 PM
1 mom liked this

I'm not sure you and I are on the same page with this. It's not that they didn't give it to him. it's that they were rude and insulting and kept insisting to my husband that the script had previously been picked up. When I went to the pharmacy the circumstances hadn't changed. They'd still given the script to the wrong person. However, they were nice to me and did end up giving me the script, something they did not do for my husband.

Quoting numbr1wmn:

What would be racist is if they wouldn't give your prescription to your husband because he was mexican. Not because he said a spanish person picked up the prescription. I hope you understand the difference.

Add your quick reply below:
You must be a member to reply to this post.
Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)